A whirlwind week of discovery

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Hiker_gal
Contributor
Contributor

A whirlwind week of discovery

Post by Hiker_gal »

I couldn't believe it took so long to get my 23andMe results. The DNA extraction phase lasted almost a month (geeze, I could have done it faster myself!), so it was with excitement that last Monday I saw I had the email saying my results were ready. At work, I logged on and briefly scanned the results. No surprises in my ancestry, no red flags on the carrier status, above average Neanderthal DNA. What's those info boxes I need to click through to get to Parkinson's and Alzheimer's results? click, click, yada yada..OH! I have two copies of the APOE4 gene. Says I am at an increased risk. Well, sometimes those increased risks are barely significant, so I will just put APOE4 into PubMed, and take a look. As I work as a research scientist in a pharmaceutical co, I have full access to most scientific publications. Lucky me. I download a review by Liu et al (2013). This does not, by any means, give me the reassurance I was looking for, and does the exact opposite. All this before my second cup of coffee on a Monday morning.
For the past week I and my husband (PhD biochemist) have read, digested, and discussed a heap of material. From the initial shock and sense of doom, we have arrived at a conclusion that my APOE4/4 status means I have a lipid processing disorder that can have implications for cardiovascular and brain health. However, risk of disease can be mitigated by diet and exercise. I hope we are right.

I will be 55 this week. Although I eat a generally healthy diet, I am overweight and struggle enormously to loose weight. For much of last year, I ate a keto diet, high in animal fats. I lost initially but then plateaued, my usual pattern. I had begun to suspect insulin resistance and had started to do some intermittent fasting. Now, I am planning on cutting out most animal fats except fish, shellfish and some chicken. However I am worried about my lipid profile from my All The Bacon version of keto I had been practicing. This morning I got blood drawn for a lipid profile on an old script written by my Dr last year (I didn't get it done because I don't like failing tests :roll: ). My cholesterol has previously run borderline high at ~220. My brother (58 yr old, APOE status unknown) had a heart attack on Dec 23rd. After my lipid test results are in I plan on a GP visit, and probably then to a cardiologist.

Any advice on my path forward would be welcome. I sincerely thank the originators, moderators and contributors to this forum.
Hiker_gal
Contributor
Contributor

Re: A whirlwind week of discovery

Post by Hiker_gal »

My apologies, I realize this should be in the Our Story forum
Searcher
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Searcher »

Hiker_gal wrote:we have arrived at a conclusion that my APOE4/4 status means I have a lipid processing disorder that can have implications for cardiovascular and brain health. However, risk of disease can be mitigated by diet and exercise. I hope we are right.
Hiker gal,

You are right.

Add equanimity, sound sleep, friendships and intellectually challenging work (all of which you probably enjoy already). They help. As does reduction in toxic insults or head injury, if relevant.

The excellent primer and various informative threads will help.

Your expertise is bound to enlighten everyone.

Welcome!
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Hikergal, welcome to the group!

No apology needed; posting in this forum was just fine! By the way, you will find you have lots of E4/4 sisters here (including me). We all know very well the initial shock learning this information brings and the adjustment it takes as we launch into research; absorbing the data we need to plan a path forward. With you background and approach thus far, it sounds like you are way ahead of the curve!

If you haven't had a chance as yet, I'd like to suggest you browse thru our site Primer written by Stavia, a practicing physcian and also a 4/4. I think you'll find some very helpful strategies there (including recommended labs) along with suggestions for prioritizing them. Take it at a comfortable pace and know it will get easier as you get a plan firmly in place.

No doubt other members will chime in with suggestions as they have time. This is a supportive community with a great deal of hard-won knowledge, so please feel free to ask more questions as they come up.

And, btw, I learned I was in the top 8% for neanderthal DNA...think I may have you beat! Stay in touch and let us know how you're doing when you have time...all the best, Lucy
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Hi Hiker_gal, and welcome to your new E4 tribe, including some of us who spend too many hours on PubMed!

Do check out the Primer and then you might want to head straight to our wiki page on lipids, which combines research and discussions from our forum. Might help you get a feel for the lay of the lumpy lipid land.

When you get lab tests, probably worth adding in fasting insulin and hbA1c, which along with triglycerides, will give you an idea of your insulin sensitivity.

Good luck with the tests and we hope you don't fail, too!
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

And, I went ahead and moved the thread to "Our Stories" so no problem. We're just happy you came and posted!
Cas
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cas »

Hi Hiker_gal

A very warm welcome to the site and you have reached a place where everyone understands how you are feeling. As Lucy5 has said please have a look at the primer as this is an excellent starting place and contains lots of information about the latest research on lifestyle interventions.
We’re really happy you have found the site and please do post again with any questions that crop up as you do more reading.
Take care
Catherine
Functional Medicine Coaching Academy Student
Hiker_gal
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hiker_gal »

Thank you all for the warm welcome, it feels much better to know that we are not alone. I am working my way through the primer - so much info, thank you Stavia! I am sure I will have more questions, but I'm still absorbing and processing.
And yes, Lucy5, you have me beat for neanderthal DNA! :)
Anna
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Anna »

Hello Hiker_gal. Talk about a bad Monday! I feel your pain. Your description of your discovery sounds familiar. I did not know what ApoE4 was when I learned, just over a year ago, at a similar age, that I carried two copies. At that time 23andMe was not providing these sorts of results, so I ran my raw data through an independent party (Promethease) and there is was -- except I didn't really know what it meant. So, like you, I began researching and was not initially encouraged by what I found! (Don't worry, I eventually found information that was encouraging.) I soon found this group, and I can honestly say, that was the most important thing I did in the first couple weeks. The support and information I obtained here shortly after receiving my results was instrumental in getting me through the next few months.

Some other things I did that helped me were to start working with a functional medicine doctor, become familiar with Dale Bredesen's research and protocol (which is truly encouraging and empowering), make changes at my own pace, and deliberately do things that have nothing do to with this journey.

I think it is terrific that your husband has been researching with you. This news can be difficult for spouses too.

Apparently, I'm at the 99th%ile for 23andMe customers for having Neanderthal DNA. I have been wondering if the ApoE4 gene contributes to this DNA.
~Anna
4/4 but so much more
shacherry
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shacherry »

Hi Hiker,

I'm new here myself but have been through a few health issues the last three years that made me reflect on the conditions inside my body that would let diseases grow. Realizing my families early age history of stroke and heart attacks, at age 50 I took myself to a cardiologist. My cholesterol and insulin levels were borderline but I was offered a CT angiogram that my insurance did not pay for. I'm so grateful I decided to spend the $700. The test, a cat scan of the heart, saved my life and found a blockage in the main heart artery. The good news is a statin and diet and exercise are going to keep it from progressing. Perhaps either a CT angiogram or getting the cheaper Calcium Score is something that can give you more answers about your heart health and ease of mind. Below is more info on both tests.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-proced ... c-20385117
https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-proced ... c-20385117
ApoE 3/4