96 y/o mom E3/4

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

96 y/o mom E3/4

Post by KatieS »

Since I've mentioned my 96 y/o mom a few times, I thought I would report her just in results: E3/4. I told her upon testing, that should she carried the same gene, this would be reassuring, since she does not have AD. She replied "well, how do YOU know? Maybe I'm like one of the nuns, who upon autopsy, their brains were all tangled, but they functioned normally due to their routines. I have my routines". Thanks to this forum, I started on Curcumin and DHA, only to realize that mom has been on this for decades! She has taken estrogen for almost a half-century. She has always been thin and has an exercise routine (STILL 3x/week, but can't do the long walks due to arthritic legs and/or her dogs died).

What is your opinion why she seems to not have any evidence of impairment? I'll compare more our data, since upon first glance she appears to not have 3 of the other AD genetic markers that I have. Now I'm reconsidering the estrogen patch despite that scary migraine equivalent (possible side effect). Her history supports the indefinite use of estrogen and supplements.
Sandraz
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 96 y/o mom E3/4

Post by Sandraz »

How encouraging that your Mom is 96 and still going strong ! I don't know the answer, but a book I am reading called "why doesn't my brain work" by Datis Kharrazain, talks about brain plasticity. He discusses that some peoples' brains upon autopsy had lots of tangles and plaques but the patient had not had dementia or AD. This doctor claimed it was possible because of brain plasticity and keeping active. Both physically and mentally. I find that very hopeful, and that your mother has an E4 gene and is mentally strong. Maybe she has some protective genes too that you have inherited...that science has yet to figure out. :)

Sandra Z
E4,E4
Sandra Z
E4,E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Yay, Kit!!! Very encouraging for you & us all :D
pal
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pal »

Wow, that's really reassuring for you, Kitano, and for all of us.

I was scratching my head as to why your Stanford doctor did not seem to advocate HRT given the Stanford study and the fact that your 96-year-old mother had taken it for so long. Might be just n=1, but when it's your own mother (and she's 96) it's an extremely important n=1.

What's your mother's diet like? Does she have high or low cholesterol, if you know? Also, does she drink alcohol? It sounds like she walked and exercised a fair amount. Did she ever run like you did?

I assume you are checking to see if she has any of the protective genes such as:
http://snpedia.com/index.php/Rs63750847 (rare and unlikely)
https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=425
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

On all our recently posted protective SNPs, mom stuck out too! However, there is one exception, her response to HRT, she carries the C allele, having a decreased risk of all-cause mortality (0.42), whereas I have a 3X increase of cancer-related mortality with HRT. (http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Ad ... ne.0034112)

Her cholesterol has been over in the low 200s for decades, creating epic arguments about butter! Aren't mothers always right? She was prescribed Zocar 10mg, but suspect she takes this only intermittently. Perhaps decades of Fosamax usage has been protective. Yes, she enjoyed red wine at least weekly. Generally, her motto is "everything in moderation". Favorite foods: avocados, walnuts and olive oil. She has taken more supplements than I could list here, including melatonin.

Running was not part of her generation, but she always thought I was excessive. Now there is speculation related to the brain trauma, so maybe her walks, yoga and exercise classes was a good choice. I go for the hard sweat, she is more a stretch and relax person.
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

We love hearing about your 96 year old mom. What a lively, inspirational lady she is.
Gina99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gina99 »

Kit, another 96 with e4. How fascinating. In comparing my mom and my sis there are a lot of environmental factors to consider as well. Where the person livers, use of fertilizer, other chemicals, living in a unclean house, etc. all this plays a part. You may have to go back and consider these as well as diet exercise. My mom did very little exercise but keeps busy. Not your typical sedentary individual. There is hope for us, then with the 96 yr old still going strong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Mom always would "eat like a camel" with periodic fasts which I persuaded her to cease in the last few years. This pattern coupled with the high olive oil and butter diet reminds me of Julie's diet!
As to chemical exposure, she has a horrendous history: hair dyes continue after 60 years, house & yard projects without regard to exposures and mostly non-organic food. She only steadfastly refuses to eat artificial sweeteners or non-butter substitutes.
She claimed that I had to get the E4 from my father since no one on her side had AD; even IQ tested her father in his 80s, finding him brighter than all her high school students! After 95, I have someone living with her, but her opinion is that she "can learn something from them" rather than she is so frail with arthritis.
pal
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pal »

Thanks Kit for sharing all those details. Very, very interesting. Your mother sounds like an amazing lady.

Interesting about Fosamax. I remember reading a few studies about bone density and E4s.

Gina, you make a good point about considering other factors beyond diet and exercise. Lots of issues to consider.

Wonderful to hear about both of your 96-year-old mothers.
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

I think despite the bad drugs and other things it just shows you we are survivors if we are generally sensible

now this drug is really bad
"Fosamax usage has been protective. Yes, she enjoyed red wine at least weekly. Generally, her motto is "everything in moderation"."
http://www.drugwatch.com/fosamax/lawsuits.php