New Test Results: CAC Score and LDL-P

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Sandraz
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New Test Results: CAC Score and LDL-P

Post by Sandraz »

I had it done thru doctor, and she is so booked don't have appt till end of July to go over results. Going to call tomorrow and see if they can email me results ahead of time bc should be back by now for sure. Advantage of going thru dr. is my insurance actually covers all the lab work before my deductible thru doctors office. :D And since I am still at the beginning of this figuring everything out stage, she is still doing lots of other tests.
Sandra Z
E4,E4
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Latest NMR-
LDL-P=1036 LDL=76 HDL=48 small LDL-P=553
Not happy about small LDL-P but may need to up monofat intake to get that HDL up again.

4 weeks after a LDL-P of 2741

*Update*
Looks like LipoScience has changed their test results now and include a linear scale of your results and where they fall within the population percentile.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

More happy dancing for you, Skibike. Wow, what a transformation. Is zetia the only statin lowering med you're on? What dosage did you settle on?

I'd love to know your TGs and LPIR too. I agree that your small LDL-P is a little worrisome. As an advanced graduate of Peter Attia's The Eating Academy :lol: (The "advanced" part comes from years of E4 observation;) I would suggest replacing some carbs with a little MUFA. A half avocado or extra tbs of EVOO might drive down those small LDL-Ps, raise HDL, lower TGs & LPIR without driving up LDL-P (due to the formation of new LDL receptors.)

If you can, it'd be great to see a snapshot of the new LipoScience graphs. Was that a cheapo test or the real deal?

Congratulations, my friend. I know you're beyond relieved.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Yeah, my HDL had dropped in as little as 5 days from high 50's to high 40's and probably accounts for the higher small LDL-P. I ate less avocado during that time.

Yep just Zetia (10mg) and I had done 3-4 days of half dosing on the Sytrinol. But I don't think I need to drop my LDL any lower to be honest. So far no brain fog (knock on wood) which supports my theory that serum cholesterol has very little to do with brain cholesterol as Im now quite a bit lower than I was (serum cholesterol) when I was experiencing brain fog.

LP-IR=29 TRG=76

Yep, was the cheapo test.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Nice; through mdlabtests.com? Could you show us a pic of the new graphs?

Decent TGs and LPIR; could be a little lower. I strongly suspect a little MUFA/carb swap would help there too.

Tell us your statin meds & dosages. It helps those that are in your same shoes make better decisions. I was really impressed with Sandra's research on the zetia. It would be amazing if you could get the same benefit at a lower dose, further protecting your brain.

Cngrats, my friends. Excellent news :D
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Juliegee wrote:Tell us your statin meds & dosages.
Hey, hey theyre not statins :D

So 10mg Zetia, 150mg Sytrinol (300mg recommended) but again I was only on that for 3-4 days. I have to think that my high dose Vit C. may be affecting my levels, as when I was on Zetia and the Bergamot, I did not get this low on my cholesterol numbers. Vit C 5000mg.

Yes, Ive had 2 different NMR's with small-LDL-P's in the 100's and both..... my HDL was in the 60's. So seems as though HDL may be the driver of small LDL-P?
It would be amazing if you could get the same benefit at a lower dose, further protecting your brain.
See, I just dont think a higher dose is doing any damage to the brain either. Zetia works in the digestive tract and does not work on cholesterol synthesis. And then my whole theory on serum cholesterol. Its the stuff that crosses the BBB and works on cholesterol synthesis that I believe is the issue with regards to brain health.

Sorry about the poor resolution but thats how they look from mdlabtests.com
nmr1.jpg
nmr2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Really cool. I've always had to download the LipoScience reference and plot my own numbers. THIS is an Improvement.

Trust me, I'm dumb as dirt about statins or statin-like meds. Apologies, for the dis- unintended ;) . I just thought it was important to share your meds as others with similar NMR results are considering the same. Yes, I hope you're right about zetia being safe. It's good to know you could lower your dose and possibly get very similar benefit should cognitive issues show up.

Wow, you're doing the Linus Paulings protocol to reduce plaque? Very cool. Have you heard of lipid improvements on this protocol?

Interesting observation about the possible relationship between small LDL-P and HDL. James's very low fat trials exemplify this as well.

Congrats again. Things are looking great; certainly moving in the right direction. I admire your close attention to diet/lipid interactions and frequent testing. You're keeping yourself safe...and teaching us all in the process. Thank you!
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Have you heard of lipid improvements on this protocol?
Supplementation with at least 500 mg/d of vitamin C, for a minimum of 4 weeks, can result in a significant decrease in serum LDL cholesterol and triglyceride concentrations.
Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2682928/
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

On a possibly related note, amla is high in Vitamin C.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

merouleau wrote:On a possibly related note, amla is high in Vitamin C.
Unfortunately seems like another false statement, not that it really matters though unless you are specifically targeting intake of Vit C:
Most sites that sell Amla products describe the fruit's rich content of vitamin C, (“The fruit contains the highest amount of Vitamin C in natural form “) which is often said to be responsible for several of the therapeutic actions of the fruit. They are wrong and have not really done their research and are just repeating (or copying verbatim) incorrect information that was put out almost 50 years ago.

In fact, it has been shown that Amla does not contain any significant amount of vitamin C
https://www.superorganicfoods.com/produ ... DQodKCIHLw