New Test Results: CAC Score and LDL-P

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New Test Results: CAC Score and LDL-P

Post by Gilgamesh »

Hey Russ! Sorry to hear about some of your not-so-great results...

Amla is probably pretty safe, but --
Russ wrote: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3326920/

Sure looks like good science to me.
-- it doesn't look like good science to me. For one thing, there was no control/"null" group. Simply knowing you're part of a study, meeting new people (the scientists), having a goal (being part of the study), etc., etc., can improve a lot of health markers. That's why comparing treatment A to B always should involve a "C": placebo.

Just my two cents!

Good luck, and let us know how things develop.

Best,
GB
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

GB, Thanks. Good point. Still worth some self-experimentation I think.
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

I view the simvastatin group as the control. With respect to the placebo effect, I'm relying on prior studies showing that simvastatin effects exceed placebo.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Russ wrote:I have plenty of other details on various tests, but that probably suffices for now unless people have specific questions.
I'm curious about two others - homocysteine and blood pressure.
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

Russ, have you looked at Chinese Wolfberry?

I did forget about your father's story as it had been awhile. What age was he, when this situation occurred?

I say this in the best of light and that is the best thing is a lot of us are not half the man that our father's are or were. Meaning genetically that your mother would have to transfer the same snp's as your father's mother on the same gene sequence to have the same diseases or conditions and in some cases it is more complicated than that situation.
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

Meroleau,

Homocysteine - haven't tested often, so only 2 tests…

11/11 - 8.08 umol/L
4/14 - 9.22 umol/L

Blood Pressure - Pretty consistently in range of 120-125/70-75. some spikes up and down. 3 years of data below…
Blood_pressure_(mmHg)_-_June_22_2014.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Thanks, Russ.

I learned about CAC scores this evening and understand now just how bad 811 is - my condolences. I hope the conventional wisdom that CAC scores cannot be reversed is wrong. The testimonials at Track Your Plaque sure seem real:

http://www.trackyourplaque.com/success.aspx
http://www.trackyourplaque.com/report/s ... ersal.aspx

I'm curious - was your decision to take the test prompted by any symptoms other than your hyperlipidemia? Shortness of breath? Lack of energy?
LillyBritches
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LillyBritches »

Kitano wrote:Lilly & Russ,
Did you ever have a carotid ultrasound to detect plaque by the intima thickness measurement? I agree with serial monitoring and that the calcium is permanent,only to further increase, but I am concerned about the radiation dose with serial CT scans.
Hey, Kit - here I am - keeping my typical vampire hours. :D Yeppers...I did. Dr. Trutt's team did it last August as a part of the initial PhysioAge workup. I was completely negative for anything (have to check my reports to see the exact reading) - I did ask the tech, while she was administering the carotid ultrasound, if everything looked okay. I know I'm not supposed to ask and she's not supposed to really reveal until the physician reads it, but I guess she could detect my fear. lol So she said "I don't see a thing bad in there. Looks completely negative. And if I had seen something even a little iffy...I would have told you to wait until Dr. Trutt looks at the pictures and that he'll get back to you." When I did talk to Trutt, he kept reiterating: "Your body just isn't laying down plaque. Wow." Okay, that made me happy, and even though (as I said before) the docs think it's my genetics, I'm not that optimistic. To reiterate: I've been on Simvastatin (Zocor) prophylactically since 2007. So, that's partially why I'm pro-statin. The other reason is a statin's anti-inflammatory benefits.

Susan - yes - my sentiments precisely. :)

However - and this is a huge however - Russ. I COMPLETELY get it about your dad. My mom took Lipitor for a few months and absolutely, positively could not tolerate it. I know I've posted this before. She had muscle breakdown and the accompanying muscle pain. With her subsequent 23etmoi testing, turns out she has the gene combo that makes one statin intolerant (as does my husband). Oh, and she also had some memory issues with the Lipitor (like your dad), but those resolved when she stopped the drug. Me? Naw. My genes scream "bring on the statins!" Seriously. I'm genetically impervious to a statin's ill effects in terms of muscle destruction and, probably, memory issues.

BUT that doesn't mean it's not eating away at my myelin sheath. :( That scares the caca out of me. :(

Russell, though, sigh. 811. I hope you don't mind - I told my husband - and we talked about it on and off throughout the weekend. I'm really worried, Russ. Anything over 400 is scary shiznit.

What does your family say? If I'm being nosy, tell me to stfu. I can take it. Truly.

I dunno, dude. I'm thinkin' you need to have a serious sit-down with your cardiologist, or even a tippy-top cardiologist and fly to where she/he is if not local. I know many of us here have taken our respective mountains to Mohammed to receive the best medical treatment and advice we deem possible. That's an insane amount of arterial calcium for an asymptomatic (I think we are all assuming you've experienced no related cardiac symptoms) early 50s? Mid-50s? male.

Hey, totally topical: I had PBS on in the background as I was working tonight, and on came Dr. Steven Masley - board-certified, and, I believe, functional physician in St. Petersburg (Jul - why do all the good ones practice in FL? lol). Man, was he interesting? I downloaded his book to my Kindle immediately. If I understand correctly, I believe he's a former chef and is HUGE re proper nutrition. And he's down with every little dietary regime we discuss and advocate (EVOO, fiber, nuts, grass-fed beef, fish, lean meet only, NO refined carbs, NO sugar, get it together if you've metabolic syndrome, exercise, it's more important to be fit v. skinny, etc., etc.). He is completely holistic and believes you can achieve heart health through lifestyle changes. I really dug him.

I'm not adverse to making a trip to FL to see both him and Dr. Perlmutter. Seriously considering it.

http://blog.peertrainer.com/tip_of_the_ ... ey-md.html

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/steven-mas ... 3a/596/a81

President, Medical Director
Masley Optimal Health Center
2007 – Present (7 years)St Petersburg, Florida

Dr. Masley’s Optimal Health Center (OHC) provides a state-of-the-art physical, nutritional, and longevity evaluation. This comprehensive and holistic assessment surpasses the typical disease oriented yearly physical—as we also explore your fitness, physiologic age, mental function, artery plaque growth, nutritional intake, and biochemical needs. With your results in hand, we develop a plan to realistically achieve your unique goals and dreams.

http://hearttuneup.com/

http://www.drmasley.com/drmasley.html

http://www.drmasley.com/drmasley.html

Please keep us abreast of what you're going to do. I know you want to hack this cardiac-brain thing. I empathize completely. But comes a point where (and this is just my strong belief) the self-experimentation is secondary and conventional Western med has to do its primary thang, ya know? Don't want to throw out that fragile baby with that bathwater...
I'm just a oily slick in a windup world with a nervous tick.
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

Meroleau, No other symptoms at all. I continue to feel great. Been stable at ~166 lbs (5'11") for a long time now, always have plenty of energy, and no observed problems during exercise. Thanks for links - from what I've seen, regression is possible, but shouldn't be expected. FWIW, I did get my digital images and they don't strike me as so glaringly bad, but it is what it is.

Lily, Thanks for the thoughts. My current thinking is that I'll have to go multistage here in order to get after it quickly. Calling my old cardiologist today (haven't been in 5 yrs) as fastest pathway to further testing - CIMT, stress testing and angiogram if necessary. I've just decided I'll have to endure the western med dogma for now - much like you've said. He is at one of the world's leading medical facilities here in Houston. Then with a bit more data I can decide whether to look elsewhere for someone with a more integrated and holistic view. Dr. Masley indeed looks very interesting.
Russ
E3/4
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

Meroleau, Sorry, forgot to explicitly answer your question… My decision was indeed entirely due to hyperlipidemia status. Just felt right to get ground truth data. FWIW, I had thought about it for a long time but avoided due to radiation concerns, but now I wish I had done much earlier. Would be very helpful to know the recent trend. I was on statins myself ~5 yrs ago for similar (traditional numbers), so it is still possible that my current status predates my recent practices - no way to tell. Maybe by going back to same cardio there is something subtle he catches, but seems unlikely, as I never did anything more than standard EKG before (which have always been clean).
Russ
E3/4