Updated NMR LipoProfile results

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Updated NMR LipoProfile results

Post by Julie G »

James, would you mind also sharing your fasting glucose? I've become jaded regarding A1c as a useful marker.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Juliegee wrote:James, would you mind also sharing your fasting glucose? I've become jaded regarding A1c as a useful marker.
Julie, are you worried about the possible inaccuracies inherent in an HbA1c?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Yes, Stavia. I first became aware of this possibility when my A1c didn't jive with my fasting and post-prandial readings. I found others here who encountered the same. Here's a good possible explanation of WHY:

http://chriskresser.com/why-hemoglobin- ... ble-marker
James
Contributor
Contributor

Post by James »

Stavia wrote:James, what is your HbA1c if you don't mind sharing?
And what do you feel about low fat organic dairy like ricotta etc? And the occasional free range organic egg yolk?
I haven't had a HbA1c test in quite some time. In the past it's hovered around 5% (estimated average glucose 97, range 76-120 mg/dl), and I'd guess it's the same or more likely lower as my fasting and post-prandial glucose is somewhat better after moderate weight loss continued physical activity over the years.

I've given my thoughts on dietary components. I'm not against consuming eggs, or any animal products, if it gets you where you want to be, but only consuming varying quantities of eggs and getting blood tests will give you any worthwhile answer beyond informed speculation. If you disregard blood tests as worthwhile, as some here seem to do (or they selectively choose which tests are more relevant to health based on what they want to eat), then I'd say only eat them if you feel physically good doing it. If you goal is to minimize dietary cholesterol and/or saturated fat to modify your lipid profile then low-fat or fat-free dairy products would be totally acceptable in this regard.

I will say that for most people the metabolic/lipid effects of an egg yolk will be the same regardless of free-range, organic, or whatever, and the same with meat and dairy from grass- vs. grain-fed animals. There are some slight benefits to consuming animal products with less chemical contamination and a better fatty acid profile, but these don't generally manifest in altered fasting or postprandial lipemia and fat metabolism.
Juliegee wrote:James, would you mind also sharing your fasting glucose? I've become jaded regarding A1c as a useful marker.
My fasting glucose on the moderate fat vegan diet was 80-85 mg/dl, and 70-75 mg/dl on the low-fat vegan diet. These are capillary (finger prick) measures, and were very consistent.
Juliegee wrote:James, thanks for sharing. I repeatedly ascertain that we learn the most from generous shares like this. Out of curiosity, to what do you attribute your decreased small LDL-P to in the first test? Jumping from 473 to 629 is pretty major. From what I've read, the small LDL-P is supposedly more prone to oxidization.
I've thought a lot about LDL-P and why it might have changed, and while I have a few hypothesis I constantly remind myself that small differences are irrelevant. It's important to understand that blood tests are just a snapshot of a constantly changing value, though that value generally stays within a narrow range if the diet is consistent. It's also important to realize that small changes have a seemingly larger effect on values towards the low end of the scale (such as mine), so a 200 point increase from 300 to 500 seems a lot scarier than 1300 to 1500. Numbers can also vary by ~10% based on hydration status.

This all led to my overall conclusion from my four LipoProfile tests that I gave in my original post. I do think the more obviously changed values are worth acknowledging, including total-C, HDL-C, and possibly LDL-C and triglycerides. All of these changed as would be expected with a very-low-fat diet. At worst I'm left debating between phenomenal results and slightly less phenomenal results, and then considering which other dietary effects are taking place that aren't indicated by lipid and glucose values.
asiagillett
Contributor
Contributor

Post by asiagillett »

This is to anyone, how often are you doing this test? It sounds like many of you are doing it frequently, just curious. I know elevated blood sugar is bad for us. I did a home test in March that read a 5 and was backed up with a fasting glucose of 96 from an advanced blood panel.

Since finding out my status I have been basically low carb/vegan (with some fresh cold water salmon), so not sure what they would be currently. ( I have a few dietary cheats here and there).

This is all so new to me, so please excuse over-asked questions.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Asia - you can order through mdlabtests.com. It's about $70. They send out a 10% off coupon every week. Then just take the lab slip to any LabCorp facility and they draw the blood and send it off. Results you get in your mdlabtests account online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Hey Asia, no over- asked questions :D I couldn't tell if you were referring to glucose testing or NMR testing. Skibike just provided a link for the latter. I test (NMR) at least annually or more often if I'm trying to gauge the effect of a dietary change. Regarding glucose, many of us have meters and just check at home. FWIW, I think the glucose bio-markers are among the most, perhaps THE most, important for E4s to track. Your physician will tell you 96 is normal, but I think it's on the high side, my friend. Here's a great link describing the difference between "normal" and ideal glucose markers for health/longevity. http://chriskresser.com/when-your-%E2%8 ... mal-part-2

James, I agree your LDL/LDL-P results are phenomenally low, especially for a homozygous 4/4. Have you ever pondered what you could do to increase your overall particle size or HDL; surely equally important bio-markers?
asiagillett
Contributor
Contributor

Post by asiagillett »

I agree that 96 is too high. That was done in March and since then I have radically changed my diet so I'm hopeful it's come down. The problem I have with the high carb/low fat diet suggested for us is what is does to glucose levels. I tried that for awhile and didn't feel great so now it's more low/carb low/fat with good fish, nuts, avocado and EVOO.

Thanks for the help guys with the lab info. I feel like I've enrolled in medical school since finding out. One positive is all I'm learning, good for my brain. I'm trying to go through old discussions when I can.
Sandraz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sandraz »

Hi Asia,
If it is blood glucose testing you are interested in, I buy Truetest strips from Amazon. Right now they are $18 per hundred. It varies a little bit. I have amazon prime so it is free shipping. You can buy strips at chain pharmacies but the mark up is amazing. The same 100 retail for around $50 ! (At the retail chain where I work). You also could get your doc to write an rx and see how insurance coverage is for various others.

Here is the link to product

Those strips work with the true-to-go meter.

The meter is worth buying locally probably. It comes with 10 strips and is around $10. It is the only meter that actually comes with strips.

I test a lot, usually first thing inAM and at bedtime and any time in between if I am curious. If it is up it is an indicator for me that I ate something that wasn't a good idea. Sadly, really shows any cheating but reinforces to me that eating the "wrong" thing shows up and affects me fast....recently have gotten AM BS around 70, huge improvement from mid 90's earlier in year. And I feel so much better!

Anyway, hope this helps!
Sandra Z
Sandra Z
E4,E4
asiagillett
Contributor
Contributor

Post by asiagillett »

That is a huge improvement! Thanks for the info. I can tell already eating better has helped me deal with the anxiety part of this.