Right brain, left brain

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Thirties Child
Contributor
Contributor

Right brain, left brain

Post by Thirties Child »

I know science discounts the whole right brain, left brain description, but right brain is the best way I can describe the way my 3/4 husband thinks, has always thought. He's 76 now, has some short-term memory problems - our PCP has prescribed the generic for Aricept, but I can't see that it's made a difference. What I see is a mind doesn't work as well in areas that were never his strength - mechanics, engineering, numbers, linear thinking, memory, finding his way from here to there. He has no problems in the areas that were always his strength - writing, art, reason. He is as good a writer, as good a critic, as good a thinker as he ever was.

I'm curious whether any of you have seen this in relatives who have memory problems, losing what they couldn't do very well at the best of times, holding on, at least much longer, to what really mattered to them. If true, there's hope.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Right brain, left brain

Post by Julie G »

Thirties Child, I think you have beautifully described the way dementia has manifested in my affected family members. Neither my Grandmother, nor Uncle, are severely impacted. Things that once mattered to them; still do. My Grandmother is 96 y/o and has almost no short term memory. A conversation is more like a loop rather than a true give and take; but Grandma still knows who everyone is ands wants to know where they are at all times. She works hard to be social when family visits. Family always mattered to her; and still does.

My Uncle, 85 y/o was never good with managing money, scheduling, taking pills on time. etc. and that has gotten even worse- to the point where he is now in assisted living. He was a world famous photographer and THAT still matters. He still takes photographs and sells them on Fine Art America. He regularly gives lectures at local civic organizations, showing his photographs via slide shows. He's a great speaker and always draws a crowd. He's still extremely bright and engaging. He's been appointed to be the "ambassador" of his facility; greeting prospective patients, giving tours, etc.

Both are distilled versions of who they once were. They've retained their core values/talents. Things that mattered; still do. Things that didn't; matter even less. I remembered this study from last year. It makes dementia feel less scary to me:

Alzheimer's patients retain lifelong values
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/813324

I recently came across this poignant story that exemplifies the same. If you decide to watch the video, grab your Kleenex first:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/briantron/a-man ... his-determ