Results after 16 Months Carnivore - Good, Bad, Ugly

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Results after 16 Months Carnivore - Good, Bad, Ugly

Post by floramaria »

circular wrote:I read an article by someone about a year ago who sent the “same sample” to two biome companies and got different results, no surprise.
FWIW, The microbiologist who I follow most closely, Kiran Krishnan, has also said that stool test are worthless. In the lab where he works, they have tested stools samples From one individual on consecutive days and the results were entirely different. His outlook on microbiome diversity is the same as TheresaB pointed out: eat a wide diversity of plant products and ignore stool tests.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Jnanney44
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jnanney44 »

Wow! This is definitley concerning to me. I’ve been running my own carnivore experiment, eating mostly fatty beef, liver, sardines, cod liver, bone broth/collagen, and occasional salmon. I’m not consuming any rendered fats - no butter, dairy, tallow, or lard.

I’ve been following this diet for 5 months and just had my bloodwork. While my total cholesterol has increased, my ratios are great and my triglycerides have dropped to 50. I did not test my LDL-P, though.

Here’s some other notable markers. Before carnivore I was following a low saturated fat keto diet.

Triglycerides: 82 to 50
A1C: 5.1 to 4.8
Fasting insulin: 5.5 to 2.6
crp: 0.4 to 0.2
Homocysteine: 5.4
TSH: 2.4 to 4.04
Free T3: 2.4 to 2.2
Free T4: 0.8 (didn’t change)
Folate: 8
B12: 876
Ferritin: 40

I’m going to continue to monitor and get a more in depth lipid profile done next time. I’d love to know what you were eating. My thyroid and lower ferritin are the only areas that are concerning me at this point.

Can you guys think of any other tests that would be valuable?
APOe4/4
MTHFR C677T Homozygous
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

Tincup, so what test or tests does DR G use to analyze the condition of microbiome? I have my 3rd blood work coming in late november and I don't now which of the bloodwork he uses(if any) to decide how the gut is doing. I have not ever had any gut symptoms other than mild constipation when I travel that natural fiber solves in a day and He says I have no autoimmune disease at all.
Barry Pearson
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Barry Pearson »

I recently posted some of my results of eating according to the Carnivore Diet during 2019 to a different thread:
"Zero carb diet will help prevent Alzheimer’s"

https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic ... 955#p72955
https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic ... 955#p72962

If this has caused confusion, I apologize! I'm not sure about conventions here.