musings on APOe4

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Re: musings on APOe4

Post by marthaNH »

Wishing for a new better day for you, C. Sad to hear things are so dark right now.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Thanks, I always get back in my horse, just so gd sick of healthy making me sick. Damned if I do and damned if I dont.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Please know that I care, (((Circ.))) I've been very sick like you are now and remember the darkness. You always bring us great information and kindness. Keep fighting, my friend. I have faith that you'll figure it out.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

(((Circ)))
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

(((Circ)))

We've all had the damn-them-all-days where we want to go eat a big pizza followed by a pint of haagen daz. Hope the clouds part soon...let's promise each other to work on a histamine thread!
ABrain4Me
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by ABrain4Me »

Circ-- sorry you're having a histamine day-- it knocks the sails out of you. I'm in a quandary with Gundry diet recommendations because they are so high histamine, unless you can get fresh fish off the boat. I have had many a night of insomnia after eating grass-fed red meat that was high histamine, and worse insomnia from shrimp. Have to be very careful with exercise intensity and duration, or I also get insomnia. And then there's the after effects like you're having today--- you will bounce back!
I would be up for a histamine thread!
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marthaNH »

The "bump" that our friend Circular gave this thread gave me the chance to read it for the first time, and so I saw Stavia's concerns expressed about weight loss, the fat/BG teeter-totter, and the wisdom of staying within normal ranges so as to not court danger (my rephrasing, hopefully representing her point accurately).

And I was happy to read that. I missed that post in April because I was in Virginia for my dad's funeral, where several relatives were concerned about my weight -- I was at a BMI of about 18.0. We were having the sarcopenia conversation on here at about the same time, and I decided to eat more. Now I'm at 19.3 and feel like I've maybe moved back from the edge a bit. I feel like I'm being prudent. If I drop below 19, I'll make corrections. I also really need to balance out the walking (which I love) with more regular strength training (which I don't love so much).

I've long been aware that part of my project here is about the comfort I get from feeling like I'm in the driver's seat, even if I'm not sure where I'm going. I *am* behind the wheel. I experience less anxiety about AD now than I did before I knew my apoe4 status and before I had done much in the way of reading. That's not because I am convinced I've found "the answer." It's just I know I'm doing my best. What I'm only starting to "get" is that the variety in the range of voices on here -- even the ones that get my goat -- really does help keep me on an even keel. Our hive mind produces more sanity than I can on my own.

I'm taking a lot of supplements at this point, but on the days that I do cronometer -- and I am not tracking every bite every day any more, not by a long shot -- I run through my list, checking my justification for each one, making sure my reasons are defensible and my dosages are on the conservative side. I skip days. I listen to what other people say. This is a big help. Thanks.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Great post, Martha - love your perspective.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Thanks everyone. I was able to grab hold of the rudder without falling out and right my ship :/) I don't get lost for long, and my high histamine days usually aren't so emotional. I lost a dear friend to cancer a year ago and my emotional resources are thinner than usual. Took me a while to get at why I wasn't coping well.

marthaNH nice yo see you using the hive mind analogy. I couldn't agree more.

Merouleau nice to see you 'round. Your picture conveys a warm and calming presence :-)
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

ABrain4Me u got that right. Yesterday I did too much exercise for too long (all it was were some PT exercises and a 30 min walk, jeesh) *and* ate fish.

marthaNH a trick for doing strength training that I use is to have my elastic bands at home (you can have weights, whatever) and when I'm doing things at my desk, or even around the house for that matter, I alternate and do a set of weight training and then something else at the computer and then back to another set of weight training and then back to the computer and then back to weight training and then clean the kitchen and then back to ... So I mix it up. Usually it starts to feel good and I just get 'er done :-) YMMV