Introducing Myself

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
A Mighty Fortress
New User
New User

Introducing Myself

Post by A Mighty Fortress »

Hi !

I want to start off by saying how amazing it is, in the age of technology, that there is a place for people struggling and coping with the realization of their genetic reality.

My story isn't long because It's just started and I am trying to peice everything together. I recently took a 23 and me Ancestry and Health Test. Upon receiving my results I found that I am at an increased risk for Late Stage Alzheimers and have an e4/e4 genotype. At first I didn't know what this meant but after some research I found that it is something that should be taken seriously and with the right amount of caution and concern.

As a 28 year old I find myself thinking as most 28 year olds do: that I am invincible. However I've also realized that how I take care of my mind and body now will have a role on how my body and mind respond in the future. With this being said, I am here to learn, to discuss, to have community with people who have much more wisdom, insight, and knowledge on living with the e4/e4 variant. I would love be a part of this community, participate in conversation, and medical studies, and hopefully get to know people here better :)

There are things in my life that I have been struggling with cognitively over the past years but I've decided not to share my whole story with the hope that over time I'll become more comfortable to open up !

Greetings everyone -- Hope to be an active member
e4/e4
daydreams1991
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Introducing Myself

Post by daydreams1991 »

I'm so glad I logged onto the forums to see this post! I'm only on here every once in a while so I'm glad I found you! I'm 29 and 3/4.

Like you, I was 27 when I found out about my 3/4 genotype (and then shortly after my family history of AD). I'm not 4/4 but I understand your feeling of powerlessness. Let me just tell you right now: it gets better. You will never go back to how you were before you found out, but you will feel the way you did. This sadness is only temporary and the more you learn about being 4/4, AD, and how much power you really have in this, you'll feel better. Some members here even report feeling better as a result of finding out because of the changes they made in their lives. I'm one of those people!

A member once told me a while back to take things a step at a time. You're 28, which means your body kicks butt at life right now. You don't have to jump onto every regime members suggest here right away and, instead, slowly add things over the years at your comfort level. Here is a list of things what I would suggest for you right now:

1. If you haven't already, get into an exercise regime. This should be at least 30 minutes a day and you should sweat by the end of it. I started off with just walking for 30 minutes and then added some strength exercises into the mix. Your brain will feel amazing as a result and your mood will improve. It's amazing how instant the results are! (I've lost 15 pounds since I found out about my 3/4 variant and feel great!)
2. As far as diet goes, for now avoid artificial sugars. This doesn't mean to give up everything. If you like soda, of example, cut soda back to just one or two days a week. Humans today eat far too much sugar than we were ever meant to. Your brain will thank you for cutting back! Soon, you might find like me that feeling better without artificial sugar is far better than eating it.
EDIT: The cool part about these first two points is that you should be doing these, 4/4 or not! You'll find that you'll feel much better about yourself as you are right now. It's a double win!
3. If you find yourself worrying about this for more than one or two weeks, experience sleepless nights, symptoms of depression, etc., consider counseling. I wish I would have done it right away. I did some cognitive behavioral therapy over at a site called BetterHelp and it helped me transform my powerlessness into something I could control. I'm still worried about AD, but it's not a specific, crippling fear anymore. It's just a "this could happen and that would be sad". If you find yourself mentally taxed because of this, please consider therapy sooner than later.

Welcome to the community. It's not very active but there are some wonderful people here! Best of luck to you.
Last edited by daydreams1991 on Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
birdie18
Contributor
Contributor

Post by birdie18 »

A Mighty Fortress wrote:I want to start off by saying how amazing it is, in the age of technology, that there is a place for people struggling and coping with the realization of their genetic reality.

As a 28 year old I find myself thinking as most 28 year olds do: that I am invincible. However I've also realized that how I take care of my mind and body now will have a role on how my body and mind respond in the future. With this being said, I am here to learn, to discuss, to have community with people who have much more wisdom, insight, and knowledge on living with the e4/e4 variant. I would love be a part of this community, participate in conversation, and medical studies, and hopefully get to know people here better :)
Hello and Welcome to A Mighty Fortress!
Indeed, you have arrived at a place where you can find camaraderie, information and sustenance for the journey ahead. I have been impressed with the wealth of experience that is brought to the foreground on theses pages. The Primer and Wiki, are good starters for the scientific understanding of apoE4 and various perspectives on prevention and treatment considerations. The searchable Active Forum is rich with both personal and technical topics. Our Stories, shed light on the thousand wondrous ways we walk the world. Thank you for sharing yours! I'm with you, there is always more.

Personally, I take wisdom from our ancient ancestors who lived before people crowded into cities and knew grains as a staple. I consider how our bodies functioned, what fed us and the cycles we followed. Our physiology remains much the same. In adapting to the now, I balance between the pull of my genes and the tug of a full to-do list. I check in regularly with my barometers: breath and tension.

Genes are not your destiny. Guide your ship. Stay well nourished. Know your personal strengths and care for your weaker parts, be they mental, emotional or physical. Have fun.

This website can be most easily navigated by following the guidelines posted here. A common reminder: "quote" the comment that you are responding to, so as to notify the poster. Don't hesitate to reach out if there is any way I can help you reach your goal of being active on this site! I look forward to learning with you!
birdie18
APOE4.info Intern2020
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Naturopathic Physician
tweet: vis medicatrix naturae
kayakmac08
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kayakmac08 »

A Mighty Fortress wrote:Hi !

I want to start off by saying how amazing it is, in the age of technology, that there is a place for people struggling and coping with the realization of their genetic reality.

My story isn't long because It's just started and I am trying to peice everything together. I recently took a 23 and me Ancestry and Health Test. Upon receiving my results I found that I am at an increased risk for Late Stage Alzheimers and have an e4/e4 genotype. At first I didn't know what this meant but after some research I found that it is something that should be taken seriously and with the right amount of caution and concern.
Welcome, A Mighty Fortress!

I'm right there with you, having just discovered my 4/4 status recently, and at around the same age as you (I'm 31). I can empathize with the alarm and anxiety you must be feeling, and the strong desire to connect with others who are in the same shoes as us, having such a ridiculously elevated risk. I totally agree with what daydreams1991 says--that it does get easier. There's tons to learn, lots of preventative measures you can start taking now, and a decent chance that you can win the tug-of-war against your genes (and that's assuming there isn't a miracle drug that comes out in the next few decades that ends up winning the fight for us). Plenty of 4/4s make it into their 80s without AD, and there are some friendly ones in this community who have tons of wisdom to offer.

Like daydreams1991 said, since you have the good fortune of finding out your 4/4 status super early in life, before unhealthy lifestyle choices really start taking their toll, you can afford to take things slowly, ramping up your prevention bit-by-bit as you increase your knowledge about Apoe, AD and what the experts on those topics (Bredesen, Isaacson, Gundry, and many others) are saying about prevention. I've actually found the process of learning about these things to be tons of fun. There's a plethora of interviews, books, and medical articles to soak in. The Wiki that's part of this website is a great place to start getting oriented. What's more, although a lot of the experts on AD prevention disagree about some of the details, there's a good deal of overlap between them (which is encouraging) and a lot of the lifestyle changes they suggest are super common-sense. I agree with daydreams1991 that just starting off with really prioritizing exercise and general healthy eating (but especially laying off the sweets) is a great place to start; you really can't go wrong. And then you can just steadily add more changes as you get used to all that. And all the better if you've already got good dietary and exercise habits!

Anyway, feel free to shoot me a PM if you want specific book or video recommendations. Browsing through the forum topics--and of course the Wiki--should also lead you to specific titles and links, etc.

Glad you've found this community!
  • 4/4 male, born 1989
  • Status discovery: 2020
  • Regimen: 14+ hr. fast/day; 200-300 min of mod-vig exercise/week; Med-esque diet; Supplementing with Trig DHA, B vits, D3