Trying to Manage Interstitial Cystitis while Following the Bredesen Protocol

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Linda
Contributor
Contributor

Trying to Manage Interstitial Cystitis while Following the Bredesen Protocol

Post by Linda »

After several months of severe pelvic pain, a trip to the ER, and follow up appointments with a urogynecologist, I've been diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis. The pain was so intense that I was willing to try any of the recommended treatments. I've received a bladder instillation, started on 5mg Amitriptyline at night, have eliminated many foods from my diet, started using a low dose vaginal estrogen, and freely take Azo pain meds when the pain becomes too much. Fortunately, I am starting to feel better and the pain is now manageable. Pain free days are a blessing!

This is really new to me. I know that Amitriptyline shouldn't be used on a long term basis, and with all the new food restrictions that were recommended to me, I'm at a loss for what to eat. I already had a limited diet due to foods that I've identified that cause migraines. (i.e. I can't eat spinach, avocados, nuts, etc.) For now, I've added in lots of carbs and I'm moving out of ketosis in an attempt to try to gain some weight back. (My BMI is currently only 17.8) If anyone has any resources or suggestions of ways to navigate the pain of IC and still be mindful of brain health and the Bredesen protocol, I'd truly appreciate it. Unfortunately, I can't afford to work with a Functional Medicine doctor at this time.

Thanks!
Linda
3/4
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Trying to Manage Interstitial Cystitis while Following the Bredesen Protocol

Post by floramaria »

Linda wrote:After several months of severe pelvic pain, a trip to the ER, and follow up appointments with a urogynecologist, I've been diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis. The pain was so intense that I was willing to try any of the recommended treatments. I've received a bladder instillation, started on 5mg Amitriptyline at night, have eliminated many foods from my diet, started using a low dose vaginal estrogen, and freely take Azo pain meds when the pain becomes too much. Fortunately, I am starting to feel better and the pain is now manageable. Pain free days are a blessing!

This is really new to me. I know that Amitriptyline shouldn't be used on a long term basis, and with all the new food restrictions that were recommended to me, I'm at a loss for what to eat. I already had a limited diet due to foods that I've identified that cause migraines. (i.e. I can't eat spinach, avocados, nuts, etc.) For now, I've added in lots of carbs and I'm moving out of ketosis in an attempt to try to gain some weight back. (My BMI is currently only 17.8) If anyone has any resources or suggestions of ways to navigate the pain of IC and still be mindful of brain health and the Bredesen protocol, I'd truly appreciate it. Unfortunately, I can't afford to work with a Functional Medicine doctor at this time.

Thanks!
Linda
3/4
Hi Linda, I just noticed that your post hasn’t gotten any replies from anyone knowledgeable about interstitial cystitis. I did a search of previous posts and see it it has been discussed. You can access the Search function for the forums through the magnifying glass to the left of your user name. Just type in Interstitial cystitis and you will see a list of all the posts where that has been mentioned. Some of the posts may just mention it in passing, but it appears that at least some others in the community have had some personal experience with it. I hope you find something that is helpful to you.
If you find something of interest to you in a thread that hasn’t been active in quite awhile you could try sending a PM to the person who posted.

Good luck!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Trying to Manage Interstitial Cystitis while Following the Bredesen Protocol

Post by Julie G »

If anyone has any resources or suggestions of ways to navigate the pain of IC and still be mindful of brain health and the Bredesen protocol, I'd truly appreciate it. Unfortunately, I can't afford to work with a Functional Medicine doctor at this time.
So sorry, my friend. I spent decades dealing with IC which is now abated except for an occasional twinge. My guess is that many of the anti-inflammatory steps I took to address 4/4 were helpful. Have you tried cutting out all sugar, simple carbs, grains and conventional dairy? Another avenue to explore is working on your gut health. As an IC sufferer, you've probably taken lots of antibiotics which can wreak havoc on gut health. Building your microbiome back with a combination of prebiotic fiber, small amounts of resistant starches and fermented foods (with probiotics) may also be helpful. You may want to ask your physician to test you for any autoimmune issues and/or hormonal imbalances. I also take a small dose of D-mannose every day, not sure if you've tried that. You are correct that the amitriptyline is contraindicated for E4s because of it's strong anticholinergic properties, but used for a short time, it may help you break the pain cycle. I'm sending good energy your way, my friend. I hope things improve soon.