Fellowship for kindred spirits.
Dan
Contributor
Contributor

Re: blood tests

Post by Dan »

Ok, I've signed up to Chronometer!

ru422, that's a massive drop!

I've cut out all sugars, and even rarely eat berries.
No grains at all.
Alcohol is largely restricted to approx one glass of wine/small beer a week. I could cut this out.
I also have small amounts of milk (and cheese), which I could cut out.
And I could cut out that odd sweet potato, and very occasional white potato.

I also notice that "Dr Gundry advises against seeded vegetables (tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, squash), as they might act more like fruits in E4 carriers, which might increase triglycerides" (The Alzheimer's Antidote, Amy Berger)

So this could be another avenue to pursue...
4/4
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

slacker wrote:
Dan wrote:What effect does starchy carbs have on triglycerides?
Coming off the bench for Stavia...
Although triglycerides are considered a fat, they are sensitive to carbohydrate intake such as wheat, rice, white potatoes. Trig level is a marker for insulin resistance. It's hard to believe that a small amount of sweet potato would do it, however, the trigs change quickly depending on what we eat last. So, for example, if you had the sweet potato the night before the labs, may have had an impact on your trig level the next day.

Also, weight loss (calorie restriction aka CR) is known to elevate LDL cholesterol.
On the flip side, I've run my lowest TGs when eating the highest volume of fruits + starches, and my TGs tend to run higher when I go into deeper HFLC keto. I tend to look at fat loss as essentially a higher SFA intake from stored fat (3,500kcal worth per lb lost), but from the CR you might run lower leptin + thyroid hormones, lowering LDL clearance. In theory, I think an occasional post-resistance exercise starch at a caloric surplus should have some therapeutic value in terms of lowering LDL and increasing endogenous antioxidants via insulin secretion to lessen oxLDL. I've heard Gundry speak positively about intermittent increases in carb consumption. Ymmv.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: blood tests

Post by Stavia »

apod wrote:
slacker wrote:
Dan wrote:What effect does starchy carbs have on triglycerides?
Coming off the bench for Stavia...
Although triglycerides are considered a fat, they are sensitive to carbohydrate intake such as wheat, rice, white potatoes. Trig level is a marker for insulin resistance. It's hard to believe that a small amount of sweet potato would do it, however, the trigs change quickly depending on what we eat last. So, for example, if you had the sweet potato the night before the labs, may have had an impact on your trig level the next day.

Also, weight loss (calorie restriction aka CR) is known to elevate LDL cholesterol.
On the flip side, I've run my lowest TGs when eating the highest volume of fruits + starches, and my TGs tend to run higher when I go into deeper HFLC keto. I tend to look at fat loss as essentially a higher SFA intake from stored fat (3,500kcal worth per lb lost), but from the CR you might run lower leptin + thyroid hormones, lowering LDL clearance. In theory, I think an occasional post-resistance exercise starch at a caloric surplus should have some therapeutic value in terms of lowering LDL and increasing endogenous antioxidants via insulin secretion to lessen oxLDL. I've heard Gundry speak positively about intermittent increases in carb consumption. Ymmv.
very interesting Apod.
I was talking more about the context of a insulin resistant person in caloric excess - which is about 99% of the patients I see!
I haven't seen what carb spiking does in a lean person except for Tincup who gets his lowest trigs after a carb refeed.
I agree about periodic refeeding completely. I do it too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Stavia just curious how often you referred carbs and how you decide when to? TIA!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: blood tests

Post by Stavia »

circular wrote:Stavia just curious how often you referred carbs and how you decide when to? TIA!
Circ its totally random. When I'm being good probably once or twice or maximum thrice a month. Usually prompted by a social situation ie entertaining or going out with friends for a meal. I think it's empirically good not to be too inflexible, it doesn't seem to harm me, and I do worry about the theoretical concern of downregulation of thyroid function with chronic calorie restriction. And maybe periodic short term spiking of Igf1 is good in terms of muscle mass? Maybe its neutral? No evidence that its bad.. Dunno....

And I usually skip another meal the next day because I'm not hungry and I don't want a calorie excess. I'm not as tiny as everyone else here. BMI 24.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Stavia I wonder if iodine levels could moderate a theoretical effect of calorie restriction on thyroid function. I'm not sure whether okinawans for example have high rates of thyroid dysfunction but I think they're somewhat calorie restricted in their traditional diet. Maybe the sea vegetables keep the thyroid balanced?

I wonder if all blue zones tend to be somewhat calorie restricted while having higher iodine intake or some other thyroid supporting inputs.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Sandy57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Sandy57 »

Circ
The key is the type of seaweed they eat. It is the healthiest in the world, and yep loaded with iodine, so much so that they rinse it or soak it. They do not have thyroid problems, as a rule.
Frank