Planned giving

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
philswim
New User
New User

Planned giving

Post by philswim »

This may seem a little out of the mainstream for this site. I am new to the site thanks to a NYT article of this same date.
My relationship is that of past caregiver for a wife who died just over a year ago. Alzheimer's and dementia have been a very large part of my life for well over a decade even though, as far as I know, I am not afflicted.
My desire to reach out and query you stems from a concerted effort to find worthy recipients of funds that will be distributed upon my death. I have used Charity Navigator as my main guide but have tried to engage concerned individuals. As we all know, there are many charities and many uses of funds. I want to believe that whatever monies are given are put to the maximum usefulness.
Enough introduction: are there informed opinions out there regarding the Cure Alzheimer's Fund of Wellesley Hills, MA?
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Planned giving

Post by Jan »

philswim, welcome to the site. We're receiving lots of new visitors because of the NYTimes article. Though your actual caregiver days are now past, your special knowledge and expertise about caring for a loved one with Alzheimer's remains in your heart. Your continued presence on the site is more than welcome. We have many members who have begun caring for - or are getting ready to care for - a loved one with dementia.

I have no direct knowledge of the group you mention, so don't have an answer for your direct question. But our members are wide-ranging and varied, and someone else might.
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Welcome, philswim. First, I'm so sorry for your loss. Having several members with Alzheimer's currently in my family, I have an idea of the pain and struggle you and your wife endured for over a decade. This disease is aptly named "the long good-bye." Your desire to give to make the future more hopeful for others is very kind. I'm not qualified to speak about the charity you mention. Perhaps others on the site can? FWIW, we are also a 501(c)(3) non-profit with an all volunteer staff working to change the trajectory of this disease. You can read our mission statement here and donate if you're so inclined. May you find peace and happiness beyond your role as caretaker. -xo
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Welcome philswim;

I admire your wish to contribute to further practical scientific knowledge to help turn around the tsunami of Alzheimer's. Here are a few suggestions.

The Buck Institute for Research on Aging: http://www.buckinstitute.org/
Dr Dale Bredesen is affiliated with The Buck Institute. He has worked with 100+ people with Alzheimer's of varying severity, and has had success in reversing cognitive decline by looking for the root cause of the problem, which varies with each individual.

Weill Cornell Alzheimer's Prevention Program: https://neurology.weill.cornell.edu/cli ... ion-clinic
Dr Richard Isaacson focuses just on prevention, using a subset of lifestyle changes similar to that of Dr Bredesen. His approach is much more conservative.

Brain Health Registry: http://www.brainhealthregistry.org
This group, associated with UCLA, "is an online registry for people interested in research on new treatments for Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, and other conditions that affect brain function... Participants complete questionnaires about health, lifestyle and medical history, as well as computerized tests of memory, attention, and speed of processing new information and organization... The questionnaires and brain tests (are repeated) every 3-6 months so researchers can gather information about changes in brain function over time."

I also support the suggestion of Julie G, one of the founding members of ApoE4.info. We are completely run by volunteers. The site started as a group of citizen-scientists trying to review all available research to help themselves. It now supports and educates over 1000 (correct me if I'm wrong Julie!) people who have been affected in some way by the ApoE4 allele itself, including Alzheimer's.

Hope this helps.
Slacker
E4/E4
raj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by raj »

Hi Philswim

sorry to know about the loss you have faced so far.
welcome to the forum. Your humble intentions to contribute and support the cause is very much appreciated by all of us in this group.

I would like to welcome you to the primer of this site where Dr Stavia a senior member has put a lot of information together and a good starting point for someone to go with.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418

We all are also interested in knowing more about you which you may post in the our stores part which is within the " Board Index " of this page on the top left hand corner. Once you get to the "our stories" and you click on it you will find " new topic" which will further take you to a text box editor where you can type all you wish to about yourself and once done just hit the submit button.

If you like to find a specific subject on this site you may also try the search button withing the three stacked boxes in the top right corner of this page.

As you go, if you have any questions please post them and somebody will come back with answers to your questions.

welcome to the group again

raj