Testing a building for allergens

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Testing a building for allergens

Post by SusanJ »

I volunteer at a local museum, and we now have 2 volunteers who can't be in the building for more than an hour or so without getting allergic responses. It could be the building or the old stuff, or both. Seems like some testing might give us a clue for what might be the best mitigation.

Have any of you used home testing kits on what might be causing problems? Any recommendations?

As a non-profit, not sure we can afford a professional testing outfit at the moment, so thinking a "home" test might give us some preliminary info to determine next steps.

Thanks.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Testing a building for allergens

Post by Tincup »

SusanJ wrote:I volunteer at a local museum, and we now have 2 volunteers who can't be in the building for more than an hour or so without getting allergic responses. It could be the building or the old stuff, or both. Seems like some testing might give us a clue for what might be the best mitigation.

Have any of you used home testing kits on what might be causing problems? Any recommendations?

As a non-profit, not sure we can afford a professional testing outfit at the moment, so thinking a "home" test might give us some preliminary info to determine next steps.

Thanks.
Hi Susan,

With all the old stuf, mold comes to mind, even though your climate is dry. Though I've not dug into it, I know blogger Dave Asprey had a huge mold problem when he was younger and has talked on podcasts and blogged about it many times. Here is a search on his site for mold as a topic.
Tincup
E3,E4