The Atlantic: Why I Hope to Die at 75

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

The Atlantic: Why I Hope to Die at 75

Post by MarcR »

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/arc ... 75/379329/

Emanuel's essay supports ideas that I have been considering casually for some time, and the framework he developed is helpful to me. I don't agree with the title and introduction, which I suspect to be intentionally provocative hooks to encourage people to read the essay. I relate much more to the conclusion, in which he discusses eschewing most medical care after age 75. At 51, I may already be there as I agree with John Horgan about colonoscopies:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cro ... lonoscopy/

Of course, I expect to continue making good diet and exercise choices for as long as I live. I also think I'll remain open to antibiotics until it's clear that I'm on the steeper part of the decline slope. :-)
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: The Atlantic: Why I Hope to Die at 75

Post by Ski »

People have become almost obsessed with "extension of life" and Im not sure they've really looked at most elderly s quality of life after that age. He certainly makes some good points. If I look at how my recovery and what I can do now at almost 50 compared to what I could at 25, I cant imagine the limitations by 75. A month ago my wife told me of a woman in her 90's she was taking care of in the ER, who was in general good health and she commented to her about how good she looked and the women simply replied, "listen honey, you don't want to live till my age".

Colonoscopy's....well Ive had them and its really no big deal. Im not so sure hed be singing the same tune if he was diagnosed with colon cancer. I knew a woman who died from it and her biggest message was get them done if you suspect anything. She didnt and it was too late once they found it. Its all good to list stats but things are always different when it affects YOU and ask those that have been diagnosed and Im almost positive youd get a 100% agreement in favor of prevention.
asiagillett
Contributor
Contributor

Post by asiagillett »

I so agree with you Ski. We just took a trip to celebrate my husband's Grandmothers 90th Birthday. We brought her home from the retirement home for the party and she sat in her wheel chair watching everyone else celebrate. NOT FUN! To be honest it was actually sad to watch her watching everyone else and not being able to participate.

As another Grandparent just said to us "The Golden years are not golden at all, it's more like Rusty years because that's what you feel like. Broken down and rusty".

I do agree with what the article said about not delaying aging but death. We keep people going for far too long. Just my opinion.
LillyBritches
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LillyBritches »

Aw, Asia! :( Sweet grandma. But, yeah. As my mom says, when I call her my "almost 94-year-old baby,":

*rolling eyes* "Don't remind me! Being this age SUCKS." :lol:

Yep. She really does. However, she's a fighter and VERY much into living forever. I'm the same. Survival (probably the warrior) gene is strong on her side.
I'm just a oily slick in a windup world with a nervous tick.
asiagillett
Contributor
Contributor

Post by asiagillett »

You know what Lilly, I am starting to become a huge believer in mind and the effects of it on body, mind and soul. I never doubted my abilities until finding out about my APOE. I was literally the work out all day, nothing will kill me person.

Now I am a shaky mess sometimes that needs to nap. I freaking hate it. I had lunch with my dad today who said "Remember who we are and where you came from". I needed it b/c the mind is a powerful tool and I have let it work against me. Of course I watched him snarf down an Italian melt sandwhich with a cold beer while I had a dry salad and a bottled water I brought. He said "I love statins".

As Winston Churchill said "NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER GIVE UP".

A
LillyBritches
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LillyBritches »

LOL! And I love your dad! :D

You sound JUST like me and like a LOT of us 4/4 women here. I think we are mega-sensitives who get overwhelmed with stimulus and, hell. NAPS all around!

Asia et al - Dr. Trutt emailed me from conference he's at this weekend. Looky - and Asia - your being soon-to-be only 40, shhh--ttt, honey. YOU GOT THIS COVERED! :D

I'm at a conference in Florida learning how to use stem cells, and they have protocols for Alzheimer's trials, so don't worry, by the time that's an issue for you, we will be able to treat you with stem cells!

Now, for a physician to state something like that? Man MUST be privvy to a LOT of new info coming down the pike. Plus, he's the bee's knees!!! Love this guy. :D
asiagillett
Contributor
Contributor

Post by asiagillett »

Hmmm, that is interesting to me. At my last session with the Naturopath I was seeing he gave me a bottle of something called Stem Cell 100. More so for the telomere shortening us 4/4 women experience around and after menopause. I am reluctant to start b/c I feel I take soooo many pills already. Anyway, maybe I should reconsider.

Plus it's $60 a bottle. Has anyone done the math on our supplement cost a month? It's a lot. Let's just say I could have a new Louis Vuitton every 3 months. Lil, get me???
LillyBritches
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LillyBritches »

YEAH. It IS a lot. I'm on TA-65...on Trutt's very, very strong advice:

Dig that insanity. Do I getcha? Girl. You could be doin' Vuitton, and I could be doing several Kate Spades by now. :?
asiagillett
Contributor
Contributor

Post by asiagillett »

OY-F---ING VEY!
LillyBritches
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LillyBritches »

HELLO?!?! :-O :-O :-O

After he tested my telomeres, he said I could get away with taking just one a day (can you believe some peeps take at least FOUR??? HOW??? By doing a second mortgage on the ol' homestead???). He highly recommends at least one a day for ALL 4/4s. He has no financial interest in the company. He's just got a lot of info on it and I think was/is involved in some of the studies on it.

The biggest criticism of it (other than the crazy-exorbitant cost) is that the TA-65 studies have only been done on mice. However, I wanna say that human studies are underway? Dunno for sure, though.