where can i get test to determine if i have apoe4 gene?

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Karengo
Contributor
Contributor

Re: where can i get test to determine if i have apoe4 gene?

Post by Karengo »

I've been thinking about doing the 23&Me testing for ages - like 2 years at least! Seeing as I'm joining this community as a support team member, I've decided now is the time. I was lucky enough to get the reduced rate they offered during the holidays. Now the kit's sitting here on my desk. All I've got to do is, well, just do it! I confess I'm feeling a little nervous. Ignorance is bliss! It's all too easy for my saboteur to take charge and encourage me to keep putting it off. At the same time, after reading many of the posts here, I trust it's information that can serve me. I'll feel better knowing - no matter the results - in the long run. Going forward, I can make different choices to support my health. Having started to read the primer, I can see there's a ton of great resources available - thank you Stavia! I can see and feel there's a lot of kindness and support offered here. too in case I need it. I trust I'm in the right place at right time!
~Karengo
ApoE4 Support Team
FMCA certified Health Coach
"For whatever we lose like a you or a me, it's always ourselves we find in the sea"
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Hi, Karengo ... I'm catching up on reading posts after being out of town, so am a little behind. You probably are already familiar with the site's - Thinking-AboutTesting - definitely a good section to reread if you are still contemplating your decision. But, definitely you will find support here no matter what the results are. I've no doubt at all that you are in the right place, at the right time! :-)
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
DelilahSparkle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DelilahSparkle »

Thank you very much for your responses--they are helpful. However, I'm still not clear about what exactly is and is not offered through 23 & Me, so I called them directly and was told that their report only tells you if you have ONE APOE4 allele, not if you have two. 1) So I'm wondering if you run the 23&Me ancestry (not health) data through Promethease, if you can discover if you have more than one APOE4 allele? 2) They also told me they do not issue results for info on APOE2 and APOE3 alleles--but again, can you get this breakdown by running the 23&Me ancestry data through Promethease? Can a layperson interpret these results generated by Promethease, or is it difficult to figure out? And 3), Dr. Bredesen states in his book that 23&Me only gives results on APOE4 85% of the time; when I asked 23&Me if they would issue a refund if you fall into the 15% that does not get results, they said they would deal with that on an individual basis. I'm on a tight budget and do not want to waste funds--I'd be very grateful for any helpful feedback or experiences you have had.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

DelilahSparkle wrote:2) They also told me they do not issue results for info on APOE2 and APOE3 alleles--but again, can you get this breakdown by running the 23&Me ancestry data through Promethease? Can a layperson interpret these results generated by Promethease, or is it difficult to figure out?
A screenshot of my Promethease report:
Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 5.15.49 PM.png
A screenshot of my 4/4 wife's Promethease report:
Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 5.16.17 PM.png
What you get from 23andMe that of use it your "raw data"

On 23andMe "Tools" "Browse Raw Data" "Download"
Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 5.24.52 PM.png
You can upload this file to Promethease or give them your 23andMe logon & password. The file is a text file and you can look at the raw data and using the information in Stavia's Primer.

The 85% is because their chip doesn't always pick up both SNP's. Not much you can do about this. It is a risk.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tincup
E3,E4
DelilahSparkle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DelilahSparkle »

Thank you very much--this is exactly what I wanted to know and is extremely helpful. I assume you get this raw data to run through Promethease with just the "Ancestry" report and not the "Health" report from 23&Me. Blessings to you both.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

DelilahSparkle wrote: I assume you get this raw data to run through Promethease with just the "Ancestry" report and not the "Health" report from 23&Me. Blessings to you both.
That is my understanding that you get the full raw data report with the lower priced option. We did ours in 2014 prior to their being two different price points (and they were enjoined by the FDA in the US from providing health info on things like ApoE4 at that time - not now).

As to ambiguity, a family member maybe E2/2, 1/3 or 2/4. This is because to distinguish between the two, you need to know which SNP's go together. There are two SnP's that determine ApoE status, but, in this case, need to know which parent each of them came from.

From Promethease:
Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 6.56.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 6.56.40 PM.png
This is not the fault of 23andMe, their test just doesn't give this info. To get it, would have to use a more expensive test. I would not advise this just to handle a low probability event. My advice to this family member was to assume they had an E4 gene and go forward accordingly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tincup
E3,E4
DelilahSparkle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DelilahSparkle »

Thank you again, Tincup! Very, very helpful and informative.
SDJG
New User
New User

Post by SDJG »

If you live in San Diego, California you can get tested for free at Pacific Research Network in Hillcrest (619-294-4302). - SDJG
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

SDJG wrote:If you live in San Diego, California you can get tested for free at Pacific Research Network in Hillcrest (619-294-4302). - SDJG
Welcome SDJG. we are happy you have joined us. Thanks for the info on free testing in San Diego area. Since you are new to the site, I want to let you know about the Primer, written by a physician member. It contains a great overview of what interventions are known to reduce the risk of carrying copies of the ApoE4 allele and strategies for improving overall health and well-being.
Also , if you are interested in researching any specific topic, the Search option is a good way to access previous discussions on the website. You access it by clicking the three stacked dots to the right of your name.
If you feel inclined, we'd love to get to know you. You can post an introduction in Our Stories. Please ask any questions that come up and continue to share resources like the free testing link.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health