Hi!

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Maddypaints
New User
New User

Hi!

Post by Maddypaints »

I am new here. Not tested yet, but I’m pretty sure I have at least one because of family history. I’m 69. I have been Keto but am currently modifying it with a few more carbs such as a small amount of fruit and more vegs. I have chronic insomnia. I have successfully detoxed from benzos and antidepressants. I probably have MTHFR gene as well and have responded very well to methyl folate and b12. I hope to learn more. My mother died of AD.
Jena S
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hi!

Post by Jena S »

Welcome, maddypaints!

We are so glad you have found this forum and hope you are able to learn even more through our excellent discussions. There is a lot of information on the site and it can be a tad overwhelming to start:) I encourage you to start with our Primer on the Welcome page viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418 which was written by one of the founders of this site! It has a vast array of information that you may find helpful. Again, the warmest welcome to our group!
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Maddypaints wrote:I am new here. Not tested yet, but I’m pretty sure I have at least one because of family history. I’m 69. I have been Keto but am currently modifying it with a few more carbs such as a small amount of fruit and more vegs. I have chronic insomnia. I have successfully detoxed from benzos and antidepressants. I probably have MTHFR gene as well and have responded very well to methyl folate and b12. I hope to learn more. My mother died of AD.
Welcome Maddypaints!,

A lovely name. Painting is a skill I admire --and completely lack!

It sounds like the big issue for you right now is not testing, but insomnia. You are not alone in dealing with that as a chronic issue. Here is just one thread in which lots of helpful people posted their secrets for getting to sleep and staying asleep:sleep, sleep, sleep
You can find more if you select the "Search" icon (a magnifying glass) in the upper right side of the screen, and then enter terms like "insomnia" or "sleep aids". Feel free to poke around the WIKI also, which you can access at the top toolbar of any page. Lots of collected wisdom and links to external sources there.

We also have many people who are using or have used anti-anxiety and anti-depressant medications. Sounds like you feel better off them than you did on them. The issue of the effect of them on the brain, and the physiological reactions many people report when trying to reduce them, makes this an area of strong opinions, since untreated depression and anxiety also seem to be associated with an increased risk of mild cognitive impairment and/or dementia.

As someone who is 66 and the daughter of a mother who died with AD, I believe our mothers would be glad to have daughters who are keen to learn more and enjoy many years of a purposeful, joyful, rested (!) life.
4/4 and still an optimist!
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

Hi MaddyPaints and ditto on the welcome! You are doing some amazing things with your nutrition and detoxing!! I agree with NF52 that you might want to focus on sleep next. In in the primer that Jena S referred you to there is a wonderful section on sleep! Personally my sleep straightened out after I started bioidentical hormone therapy (search Dr. Ann Hathaway) and added in some nighttime supplements, and of course added in some ever controversial "earthing, " oh and I also meditate almost daily. (BTW... I am not a clinical person... need to clarify when I mention BHRT and supplements). I can tell you are strong in the search for knowledge and have the extra skill of being able to make things happen. Stay in touch and let us know how we can be of service to you!
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
Maddypaints
New User
New User

Post by Maddypaints »

Thank you. I’d do take supplements for sleep. I’m always on the lookout for new ones. I can’t take a lot of them because of my previous benzo use. The detox from them never ends. I can take amino acids, and I like tryptophan, 1gram, and glycine, 3 grams at bedtime. I can also tolerate Holy basil, but other adaptogens are bad for me and create akathesia. I have recently started medical cannabis, a tiny amount, which is als helping. Overall, I get about six hours of interrupted sleep a night, which is way better than the two or less I got for years while detoxing, I will keep my eyes open on the forum. Thanks again.