Question

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
closer2323
New User
New User

Question

Post by closer2323 »

Is this the same as APOE4 = rs5082 GG? That is what I got from the 23 and me breakdown. Are those 2 things one and the same?

Secondly does this mean that saturated fats/high fat diet will increase cholesterol for me? rs5082 GG
Chameleon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Question

Post by Chameleon »

Hi closer2323!

Welcome to the APOE4 community! I am certainly not an expert on rs5082, but I did find a thread you may be interested in: https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic ... 9&start=10

Also, you can search the Wiki and can use the magnifying glass above to do more specific searches.

And if you haven't look at the Primer yet - that is a really good overall resource.

Hope you are able to find the answers you are looking for!
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Question

Post by NF52 »

closer2323 wrote:Is this the same as APOE4 = rs5082 GG? That is what I got from the 23 and me breakdown. Are those 2 things one and the same?

Secondly does this mean that saturated fats/high fat diet will increase cholesterol for me? rs5082 GG
Welcome closer2323!
The SNP rs5082 is not an ApoE4 allele. Here's a source:
re5082 is a SNP in the APOA2 gene. It is associated with obesity and heart disease risk.
The G allele is associated with:
greater weight, waist circumference, and BMI [R]
lower risk for heart disease [R].
For individuals with 2 copies of the minor allele ''GG'', as higher-fat dairy food intake increased, predicted BMI increased (P
= 0.004).
https://www.selfdecode.com/snp/rs5082/
For what it's worth; Self Decode says 24% of people have the GG combination, so it's not rare! It also may not be a risk for higher cholesterol, but in general, people on this forum tend to prefer fats that are not high in saturated fat (avocados, nuts, nut butters) rather than a high saturated fat diet.

ApoE 4 is associated with 2 SNPs: rs429358 and rs7412 . You may want to check your 23 & me reports; typically ApoE status is a separate report with careful instructions to be sure you know what you are about to learn.
You may also like to check out our Welcome page section on ApoE 4 APOE-ε4 Introduction and If you want to check your E4 status from our Wiki. Feel free to add more if you discover you have the ApoE 4 allele.
4/4 and still an optimist!