Hormone Replacement Therapy E4 Women

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Kit
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hormone Replacement Therapy E4 Women

Post by Kit »

"My sister is 61. Dunno her apoe status. Been on regular oral combined HRT 14 years. Artificial progestagin or whatever you call it in the USA and dunno what oestrogen. Might be oestradiol.
Anyways, breast cancer. Small but cancer."

So very sorry, Stavia,
My thought is that it is possible she would have gotten this cancer regardless of whether she supplemented. I am wondering if she knows yet, if this is an estrogen dependent cancer. Please keep us posted on how she is doing. :|

Kit
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Haven't got receptor status yet. Thanks honey.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Receptors positive both oestrogen and progesterone. Herceptin thingy negative. Awaiting BRCA.
I have reduced my patch dose.
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Silverlining »

Stavia, the progesterone, estrogen positive is good news, the herceptin negative not so much. Correct? Regarding your decision to lower your patch, I'm glad that you don't have to experience major hot flashes or any other overt menopause symptoms. From what I recall, your biggest symptom was sleep and that's been addressed with the oral progesterone? How is your sister coping? Big hugs!!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

(((Stavia))) doesn't 23andMe report on BRCA? I'd also love an update on your sister...
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Silver I'm still sleeping fine on a third of a 100mcg patch. So that's good. I might drop it a bit more at later stage. The herceptin thingy is a yes and no really.

Julie yes it does a couple of snps but it's not enough. There are several different varieties and full gene analysis is needed, not just a couple snps. It's going to cost $5K. Ugh.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Juliegee wrote:Here's a new paper by Dr. Roberta Brinton exploring how reduced estrogen deteriorates cerebral hypometabolism in perimenopause. As E4 carriers start in a disadvantaged place, this looks very significant for us. I'd love to see full-text.

Perimenopause as a neurological transition state
http://www.nature.com/nrendo/journal/v1 ... 15.82.html
The estrogen receptor network becomes uncoupled from the bioenergetic system during the perimenopausal transition and, as a corollary, a hypometabolic state associated with neurological dysfunction can develop. For some women, this hypometabolic state might increase the risk of developing neurodegenerative diseases later in life. The perimenopausal transition might also represent a window of opportunity to prevent age-related neurological diseases.
Skimming this thread a bit as I digest my new post-oopherectomy hormone levels and ponder next steps …

Just hypothesizing that possibly for women who missed the opportunity to use hormones during the menopausal transition, a ketogenic diet may be especially helpful, given that the loss of estrogen may have made them more hypometabolic than if they'd had the supplementation. Or, maybe the brain over time compensates for the decoupling of the estrogen receptors, but I'm guessing that, especially for e4s, the hypometabolic state worsens during menopause without HRT and just stays worse.

One question I keep having is … Why wouldn't the problems surface after stopping HRT after the 'window' during which it's supposed to be protective?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

One question I keep having is … Why wouldn't the problems surface after stopping HRT after the 'window' during which it's supposed to be protective?
It appears to be about reducing levels gradually. According to Dr. Bredesen, problems occur in women who experience an abrupt drop in estrogen. E4 women who experience surgical menopause early (without HRT) appear to be at significant risk as do women who experience estrogen dominance during perimenopause (high levels) then a precipitous drop with menopausal onset (low levels.) I also suspect that he wouldn't recommend stopping HRT until a woman is metabolically healthy and well indoctrinated into the protocol.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Cir, this does look like an interesting follow-up paper by Dr.Brinton. I wonder if women who have had chronically low levels of estrogen would be less affected by menopause as this certainly has been my experience. As a study participant of competitive runners "all our levels of estrogen, testosterone and androgens were low". I recall a estradiol level of 30 at age 29, so no surprise that I don't feel much differently at age 63.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

KatieS wrote:Cir, this does look like an interesting follow-up paper by Dr.Brinton.
This was actually one of her 'earlier' papers; i.e., there's been at least one subsequent to this one. I was quoting Julie from some pages back. I think this paper was last summer? Still, pretty new on the scene :)
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.