"Aterofisiol" (EPA, DHA, K2:MK7, B6, B12, grape skin) in carotid plaque evolution

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

"Aterofisiol" (EPA, DHA, K2:MK7, B6, B12, grape skin) in carotid plaque evolution

Post by apod »

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4517514/
our study evaluated the effects of a food supplement, Aterofisiol based on omega-3 (EPA and DHA), vitamin K2, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, OPC, and resveratrol, on atherosclerotic plaque composition and on neurological assessment in patients undergoing carotid endarterectomy.

The study found that carotid plaques removed from patients in Group B (treated with Cardioaspirin and placebo) contain higher amounts of cholesterol and lipids than the plaques removed from patients in group A (treated with Cardioaspirin and Aterofisiol), and the difference was statistically significant. Moreover, patients in group A developed a lower incidence of neurological accidents.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: "Aterofisiol" (EPA, DHA, K2:MK7, B6, B12, grape skin) in carotid plaque evolution

Post by Julie G »

Really interesting paper, apod, and perhaps VERY relevant to our population for carotid health and ultimately our neurological health.

I was excited to realize I'm taking all of the components of "Aterofisiol," with the exception of OPC (?) I looked it up and learned that Dr. Gundry's pycnogenol is rich in OPCs. This link lists other sources: http://therapy.epnet.com/nat/GetContent ... kiid=21765
OPCs aren't a single chemical, but a group of closely related compounds. Several food sources contain similar chemicals: red wine, cranberries, blueberries, bilberries, tea (green and black), black currant, onions, legumes, parsley, and the herb hawthorn. However, most OPC supplements are made from either grape seed or the bark of the maritime pine. These two OPC sources lead to products that are not necessarily identical in function, although there do seem to be many similarities. In the discussion of scientific studies below, we indicate the source of the OPCs used when it is possible to do so. In some cases, however, identifying the exact product is difficult, as both grape seed and pine bark OPCs, or their combination, have at various times been sold under the same name.
RichardS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: "Aterofisiol" (EPA, DHA, K2:MK7, B6, B12, grape skin) in carotid plaque evolution

Post by RichardS »

Read the full text. A solid looking study with supposedly no conflicts of interest. Definitely reinforces the anti-inflammatory approach to vascular health.
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marthaNH »

This is helpful for me and a bit encouraging. I'm doing all of these except for the OPC (? not sure I have the acronym right) and I have some carotid plaque -- measured a couple of years ago. Good to know I'm probably doing something right in terms of managing the situation.