HRT Stories

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
LillyBritches
Contributor
Contributor

Re: HRT Stories

Post by LillyBritches »

Yep, no real hot flashes of which to speak; didn't really go into menopause until around age 55. That is, I think I began at age 55. Def not before then. I was never one to keep track of my menses...kind of a space cadet that way.

It fact, my girly-time was smooth sailing - never knew what a cramp was, never had any bloating, yada, yada, yada - up until age 25, and then all hell broke lose. Payback time by the Cosmos, I guess. From 25 'til around 53, I had massive PMS and hellish secondary dysmenorrhea. Maybe I simply transitioned into perimenopause at some point, but who could tell? Everything always seemed like PMS aka "Lillianne's a giant hormone ball 24-7, 365."

And now I'm still a hormone ball, because I've elected to supplement.

Congratulations, Universe. You win.
I'm just a oily slick in a windup world with a nervous tick.
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Silverlining »

An update on my hellacious hotflash journey. I began taking bio identical cream, Biest (80% estriol 20% estradiol) in a formula containing progesterone 100ml and 2ml biest. After 4 weeks there was very little improvement in hot flashes. The pharmacy doubled the estrogen in the biest to 4ml. Within 10 days the hot flashes finally significantly subsided, thank goodness!. I hate even admitting this to myself, much less to the public, but I believe I did/do experience some brain fog that began with the abrupt hot flash onset....It seems that is clearing as well. I'm feeling more myself and I'm happy for that. I "heart" hormones!!.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

You go girl Silverlining!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Yay, Silver! It is a gift to not have hot flashes anymore!!!
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

4/4 also and started HRT at around 53. Was getting occasional moderate hot flashes, but the real drivers for me were increasing frequency of migraines, feeling lethargic, not sleeping as well & a bit blue. I'm also homozygous for MTHFR (didn't know that until recently) which prob added to the hot mess.

I'm on a .05 mg estradiol patch and am really happy with it. (My doc has tried to talk me into going w/a lower dose & I've said no. Have NOT had my hormonal levels tested which I now realise after reading everyone's comments that that is a real mistake!!) Cycling in the 200mg prometrium (12 days/mo) is my challenge. I sleep really well w/it, but get so moody even I don't want to be around me! Since I'd really like to keep my friends and family ;) I've decided to cycle in prometrium quarterly with yearly ultrasounds & so far, so good (7 yrs).
LA18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LA18 »

Does anyone know of an expert on hormones in clinical practice in the Midwest, someone also aware of ApoE4 and its implications? I know most functional med doctors do HRT, but I would also like to consult with a hormone guru, someone like Dr. Trutt (whom I’ve read about here). I’m on HRT but am struggling – too much estrogen (recently as I transitioned from a cream to the Minivelle patch) or too little and my typically low blood pressure just skyrockets. The Minivelle package insert reads: In a small number of case reports, substantial increases in blood pressure have been attributed to idiosyncratic reactions to estrogens. I would say I’m in that category. I tried the .05 patch the other day (my cream is a much stronger dosage than that) and my blood pressure shot up within one hour. It was back to normal within about five hours after I removed the patch. HRT is a must for me as an E4/4 with a brain that literally shuts down when my estrogen level gets too low (and I sizzle). I think finding balance is especially tough right now because my endogenous estrogen levels are really fluctuating. For much of the month they have tested at close to 0, but there are spurts here and there. Thanks. Liz