Coronary calcium score zero

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Coronary calcium score zero

Post by circular »

MarcR wrote:Congratulations on your good score, circular. Sounds like you're looking for interpretive perspective for CAC results - I think Ivor Cummins' November 15 talk has a lot to offer in this regard.

As a bonus, near the end he shares his current perspective on the significance of LDL particle count (LDL-P) for those of us who meet none of the five criteria for metabolic syndrome.

30 minutes well spent for me.
Thanks Marc! I'll have a listen :)
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Tincup wrote: Your charts are consistent with data that are presented with EBT scores at the scanner we've used. I recall an sdLDL of 12 for you in the past, which is consistent with your zero score. Keep it up!!
Thanks, yes it was true overkill for me to get the scan :ugeek: . My advanced cardio labs are good. I do have chronically high hsCRP and an improved but still somewhat dysregulated immune system, so I was wondering if that might be doing some damage in the vessels. I guess without the small dense LDL the inflammatory molecules don't have a chance to do their number in the vessel walls. I didn't expect to have real problems, but I have to say I was surprised at a flat 0 score. Afterall I have[edit: n't] had my current diet all my life, although I've generally eaten mostly one diet considered healthy or another.
Last edited by circular on Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

circular wrote:Just got my 0% score and I'm under age 70 without angina :D

Unfortunately under percentile for age and gender it says n/a? Is that because it's 0 or because they don't have stats on 56 year old women?
Congrats, circular! This is great news! I see you found information that they do have stats on 56-year-old women. That’s how old I was when I had my first (and only, so far) scan, and there are definitely stats available. But I don’t know where they come from. Research, I hope.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I found this recent CCS pros and cons article at Medscape. It takes the con position overall, so reading all the MD comments is helpful for additional input.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Woo hoo, my friend. I'm very happy for you. -xo
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

This page gives some charts by age for women and men. Not sure if the data is based on in-house results, published research or what, but good enough for me for now
Wow! The charts separated by gender tell a compelling story. Using my age (56 y/o) I see that 60% of women get a 0 score. Only 38% of men at that same age get a 0 score. That's a huge discrepancy. Alzheimer's may be a "woman's" disease, but CAD is a "man's." Broad statistical generalization, of course. It's still an interesting observation given that E4 predisposes us to both.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Julie G wrote:
This page gives some charts by age for women and men. Not sure if the data is based on in-house results, published research or what, but good enough for me for now
Wow! The charts separated by gender tell a compelling story. Using my age (56 y/o) I see that 60% of women get a 0 score. Only 38% of men at that same age get a 0 score. That's a huge discrepancy. Alzheimer's may be a "woman's" disease, but CAD is a "man's." Broad statistical generalization, of course. It's still an interesting observation given that E4 predisposes us to both.
I wonder about the potential or real relationship of coronary calcium with vascular changes in the brain with dementia (whether dx AD or not, remembering that many dx with AD turned out not to have it). Is it possible there's a trajectory between them that is more trigger happy in women, such that even though we're less likely to have coronary calcium, when we do it exerts a more robust and adverse affect on the brain? (Just as one hole in the roof.) In other words, in some convoluted way, using the terms in the context you have, could CAD be a women's disease as well wrt AD despite what the charts show?

Overthinking again when I should be doing other things! :lol: One of the reasons I went overkill on testing with the scan was because I've had a suspicion that a family member who was dx AD had a strong vascular contribution. I'll never know, but it's nice to dream that I may not have the problem that may have been a big contributing factor for her.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

TheBrain wrote:
circular wrote:Just got my 0% score and I'm under age 70 without angina :D

Unfortunately under percentile for age and gender it says n/a? Is that because it's 0 or because they don't have stats on 56 year old women?
Congrats, circular! This is great news! I see you found information that they do have stats on 56-year-old women. That’s how old I was when I had my first (and only, so far) scan, and there are definitely stats available. But I don’t know where they come from. Research, I hope.
Thanks TheBrain! It's possible one of the biggest benefits of all is it confirms that CVD is one less thing for me to overthink and allows more time for meditation! If only I could get there more often without spending money :roll:
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Just got my score. Also a zero. :D I was happily surprised! It's so very nice to have a diagnostic test. I hope one day soon there will be a similarly effective and accessible test for AD progression.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Congrats, Fiver!!
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!