Chronic Inflammation as a contributor to Alzheimer’s

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Chronic Inflammation as a contributor to Alzheimer’s

Post by Julie G »

Alysson, what a shame that you've had to work so hard to get the MARCoNS testing! Very interesting that Lab-to-Go can do the test. I wonder if that's just in your area or anywhere? This could conceivably help many of our members.

MAC, thank you for all of that amazing information. Your enthusiasm and information continues to inspire me and I'm guessing many of us! I'm traveling to a nearby town later today that has a grocery store with a good organic selection to expand my greens.

I've recently had some bad and some good news on my CIRS journey. First, the bad news. My new house officially has mold :shock: . I've been too afraid to do the HERSTMI testing, but during our demolition, we found quite a bit behind the master bath shower tile. It was on the lumber for the seat bench, sheetrock, and insulation around the shower. It's all been removed and treated, BUT I've had both a smoldering and now acute exposure with the demolition. My CIRS biomarkers were already horribly out of range BEFORE I moved into this new house. Sigh. The silver lining is that I do not have the HLA DR/DQ haplotype that is susceptible to mold, but rather to Lyme.

Now for the good news. I just had my IgG retested- 4 weeks after my last IVIG infusion and my level is up to 971 (normal reference 700-1,500.) My hematologist is stunned. He's never seen a patient recover from an immunodeficiency. He previously insisted that I would be receiving infusions for life. I told him that I was working with Dr. Schweig on addressing my CIRS and other underling infections/gut issues and I hoped to heal my immune system. He previously discounted that effort, but is now beginning to express interest. He's agreed to reconsider once I get levels to 1,000 and holding. I have an infusion scheduled for Friday. I'm crossing my fingers that I'll be able to skip the next one.
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

Julie, I'm so happy to hear your amazing improvement in your IgG test! I'm sorry you have to deal with mold, but glad you don't have the haplogroup that is most effected by exposure.
Starfish
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Alysson, FYI my husband had constipation after starting Restore but it didn't last, so may be part of an adjustment as you thought. Of course YMMV.

Any Lab Test Now where I live is great. They did my C4a from National Jewish Labs and did it right. They did all my Gundry labs also and had a very skilled phlebotomist.

Julie, wow, that's amazing about your globs! Despite my own relatively cautious approach to things, I love it when we can shock the closed-minded docs :lol: ... Hopefully your good genes will give that mold a swift kick while you stay on course with the Lyme and co-infection.

Finally had 21 tubes of blood taken this morning. Hope something actionable comes of it, but I do now wonder if this chronic MRSA infection may have been the main issue these last 6-8 years!

Still fighting the good fight against the uproar in my sinuses, walking around the house wielding my Manuka honey irrigator at my face...
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Labs back, but now have to sit on my hands until Weds when I see the doc. At first glance it looks like my sinus MRSA is having a party, but on closer look much of this looks like old/resolved infection. Interesting that there's a window into that. From my cursory look online, the one that looks possibly suspicious as a present enemy is Epstein-Barr (?). It seems that in general, if the IgM version of something is normal but the IgG version is elevated, it shows a past/resolved infection (? TBD), but negative for Epstein-Barr IgM apparently can be convalescing or reactivation.

[Edit: This appears to be an old infection which will leave the CMV antibodies higher for life]
Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Ab, IgM = Normal
Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Ab, IgG >10 (+ is > .69)

[Edit: These are enteroviruses which apparently are among the most common of pathogens. I find this feedback from Quest: 'Single titers of > or = 1:32 are indicative of recent infection. Titers of 1:8 or 1:16 may be indicative of either past infection or recent infection']
Coxsackie B-1 Ab 1:8 (+ is > 1:7)
Coxsackie B-2 Ab 1:8 (+ is > 1:7)
Coxsackie B-5 Ab 1:16 (+ is > 1:7)

[Edit: This pattern could either be a past or current infection, according to the lab's chart, if EVB Early Antigen Ab, IgG is the same as EA(D) - IgG (sounds weird but these seem to be the same).]
EBV Ab VCA, IgM = Normal
EBV Early Antigen Ab, IgG 68 (+ is > 10.9) ('Hepatitis A, Hepatitis C and HIV antibodies may cross-react with this assay')
EBV Ab VCA, IgG 110 (+ is > 21.9)
EBV Nuclear Antigen Ab, IgG 136 (+ is > 21.9)

[Edit: Apparently HHV 6 is 'ubiquitous' and a 'self-limiting illness in patients who are not immunocompromised', so maybe this is a holdover elevation from an old infection]
HHV 6 IgM Antibodies = Normal
HHV 6 IgG Antibodies 60.35 (+ is > .99)

[Edit: The Lyme Western Blot results as a whole = negative for Lyme, so the two next are actually irrelevant. Don't know why they show up if it doesn't mean anything.]
Lyme: IgG P23 Ab. 'Present Abnormal'
Lyme: IgG P18 Ab. 'Present Abnormal'

THESE ALL NORMAL:
MMP-9, TGFb-1, ADH, VEGF, ANA Direct, Candida, Lipase, RAF, Cortisol, DHEA, Iodine, Thyroglobulin Antibody, Osmolality, TPO, MSH, RBC Magnesium, RBC Zinc, total IgG/IgA/IgM.

Intriguing to me is my histamine is low end of normal range and IgE almost non-existent. Doesn't this rule out MCAS and allergies as explanations of my histamine-like symptoms? It's looking like my issues have been more infection related.

My mercury is down from 7.2 to 2.6. She wanted me off all fish and seafood for a month, but the best I've done is cut back a lot. Maybe need to do the one month and try to clear it. Otherwise may be my one remaining filling (?).

One thing is it's hard for me to imagine there would be people testing who wouldn't come up positive for some sort of infection(s). Is that even possible? For several of the results above material online indicates they are common infections and not usually clinically noteworthy. I feel like I'll want to be careful not to overtreat. Hopefully my doctor will have good judgement about this.

This article is interesting: MAP: Find Out What New Viruses Are Emerging In Your Backyard
Over the past 60 years, the number of new diseases cropping up in a decade has almost quadrupled. The number of outbreaks each year has more than tripled since 1980.

"We're in a hyperinfectious disease world," says epidemiologist Michael Osterholm, who directs the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy in Minneapolis.

The only trend that looks reassuring is that the number of cases in outbreaks per person has declined over the past few decades, researchers at Brown University reported in 2014.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

You know I'm not a doc, Circ, but your EBV results look interesting. As I'm sure you know, some researchers hypothesize that some persistent or reactivated infections have been correlated with AD. Here's a recent paper that explores that hypothesis. As you correctly point out, everyone will be positive for past infections, but very high titers may suggest some reactivation.

Your CIRS biomarkers are all in range? Woo hoo! That's great news that suggests you likely do not have a chronic inflammatory response. I'm sure you're aware that Dr. Shoemaker uses a different reference rage for some biomarkers. Out of curiosity, what is your TNF-Beta-1 and MSH?

The abnormal Lyme results are suspicious, but I'm unsure how relevant if you truly don't have any signs of chronic inflammation. I'd love to see your C4a. Dr. Bredesen finds that one particularly telling. Also, it'd be very helpful to have your HLA-DR/DQ haplotype. If you're susceptible to post-Lyme (like me) your results could be significant.

Congrats on getting your mercury down. In addition to reducing your fish intake, did you take any chelating supplements?

Very low IgE is actually classic with MCA. Non-IgE mast cell activation is how MCA is separated from traditional allergies. It gets trickier to Dx patients who DO have classic IgE mediated allergies with non-IgE mast cell activation. My histamine is also very low unless I'm reactive. It's very difficult to catch mast cell activated mediators like tryptase, prostaglandins, and histamine unless you do serum or urinary testing within hours of a reaction. Your low level may be reflective of avoidance of triggers and optimized health. Does that fit with your clinical picture?
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Thanks Julie! You know what it's like to get results and just sit around inexplicably staring at your naval :lol: Yep, certainly following Dr. Bredesen's finding vis infections and AD. I'm confused though why e4s are supposed to be both better at fighting infections and yet also fraught with them??? If we're better at fighting them why is the infectious route to AD being found in so many e4s? I understand e4's hyper-vigilance vs pathogens causing a chronic, hyper-inflammatory state, but why don't the pathogens get snuffed out?

I did find out after my post last night that I guess in functional medicine circles the traditional notion that normal IgM means no active infection goes out the window, due, at least one explanation goes, to some infective agent's 'stealth adaption':
There is also evidence that CFS may be due to the above discussed infections with “stealth adaptation”. This notion refers to certain viruses, which can avoid immune elimination by deleting genes required for effective antigenic recognition by the cellular immune system. Such viruses don’t have to confront the body’s cellular immune defense mechanisms and can, therefore, evade the immune system and create persistent ongoing infections.
Can't say I understand that or how it would show in the labs, but maybe the pathogens adapt their way around the e4 defenses!? :!:

Nope, didn't know Dr. Shoemaker uses different ranges, so here goes:

MSH = 22 pg/mL (0-40)
TNF-Beta-1 = 2430 pg/mL (622-4625)

C4a last July was 8613 ng/mL (0-2830)
I think maybe since that can be an acute and short-lived rise in response to something, I'd want to see it tested high again to suggest it's chronically elevated (although I don't want to pay for it again :roll: , unless there is enough else to point to needing treatment. Self Hacked has done a little research into the elusive C4a. According to him it's high with higher CRP and mine is, I think, chronically elevated. It also may be elevated in eczema which I had until not long after this test when I started treating my skin biome.

According to the link above about why normal IgM doesn't always equate with no active infection, one looks at least at these markers, where I've added how I've tested:
Physicians must have a high incidence of suspicion and look for elevated IgG or early antigen (EA) antibodies along with other signs of chronic infections including low natural killer cell activity [not tested], high RNAse-L activity [not tested], high ACE (> 35) [not tested], coagulation activation [not tested], high tumor necrosis factor (TNF) [normal], low melanocyte stimulation hormone (MSH) [normal unless Shoemaker says not], high interleukin-6 (IL-6) [normal], low WBC [normal], increased 1-25 vitamin D/1-25 vitamin D ratio [sic] and elevated or decreased total IgA, IgM or IgG levels [normal, 309, 55, 1035 respectively].
I didn't use chelating supplements to lower the mercury, at least not that I'm aware of. I did increase my intake of cruciferous and other sulfur rich foods and maybe that has helped? I went years eating high seafood (low mercury versions at least once a day, sometimes twice) and virtually no cruciferous due to digestive issues. I can now tolerate the cruciferous. I think you are right about a clinical change since reducing seafood, which has most likely lowered my histamine. I had thought my high seafood diet (with low mercury seafood) was good, but I think in retrospect I was poisoning my system with histamine and mercury and my diet was too low in this crucial detox food group. My health has been improving, which is why I'll go into antibiotic therapy only very cautiously. Not ruling it out by any means, but I'll need to have a solid understanding for myself why I'm doing it, and hopefully good peer reviewed research.

I hear you about the MCA not being IgE mediated and the rapid metabolism of high levels of mast cell products that aren't always caught. I think my bucket is emptier without so much fish/seafood in my diet, so ya, the MCA may just not be showing in these labs. Today I've slid after putting strawberries in my smoothie this morning. Big mistake. I know better! :roll:
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

You can find Dr. Shoemaker's biomarker reference range here. Your TGF-B-1 is just slightly above normal and MSH is terrific. Your C4a, however, is concerning. Given how reactive you are, it might be worth checking your HLA-DR/DQ haplotype to see if you're susceptible to CIRS.
Yep, certainly following Dr. Bredesen's finding vis infections and AD. I'm confused though why e4s are supposed to be both better at fighting infections and yet also fraught with them??? If we're better at fighting them why is the infectious route to AD being found in so many e4s? I understand e4's hyper-vigilance vs pathogens causing a chronic, hyper-inflammatory state, but why don't the pathogens get snuffed out?
Of course, no one knows at this point. Perhaps this is where the HLA-DR/DQ haplotypes help explain why some get stuck in a chronic inflammatory loop. Dr. Bredesen initially thought we were protected from his sub-type-3, but the more patients/biomarkers he's seen are telling a different story. E4 carriers may be just as susceptible, we just put up a better fight, for longer... but not indefinitely.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Okay, time to report on my visit with Dr. Ackerly vis my 21 tubes of blood. First of all some background. Dr. Ackerley's website and background can be seen here. I heard (not from her) that she's writing a chapter for Dr. Bredesen's book (?). The more I get to know her the more I like her. I was very impressed with what a careful and thoughtful diagnostician she is.

Here are the takeaways:

Still to come: HLA-DR testing and MRI with Neuroquant (if insurance approves)

Nasal culture: coag+ which means no MARcONS, but MRSA+.

> Started one tube of Mupirocin topically to try to address the MRSA without systemic antibiotics. Says to finish, wait a week, then repeat nasal culture. She indicated that the MRSA could still be coving up MARcONS which could make itself known if the MRSA diminishes.

Mold: Due to raised C4a and low MSH that's better than most, while being okay for other mold labs (mentioned MMP9 and TGF), she can't rule in or out mold toxicity. She indicated that C4a where I live is always higher in people during the summer when I tested. Says MSH makes melatonin. I asked if taking melatonin supplements could down-regulate MSH and she said that's a good question and that she didn't know.

> Retest C4a during the winter

> I'm going to cut my 2 mg to 1 mg for a while. If I do okay at that then I'll try going off melatonin and retest MSH out of curiosity.

Lipase okay.

Hashimoto's nope.

CIRS: Can't rule in or out.

Chronic Fatigue: Yes. This seems to be seen in the multiple viral antibodies that are commonly seen in CF patients. Actually they're common in the wider population, but maybe moreso in CF (?) where there are symptoms to suggest possible current activation.
  • Lyme: Can't rule in or out. The Elissa test I took for this isn't sensitive enough and the two positive bars could be false positive. Said 'consider' the better Lyme urine test through DNA Connections at $500. I'm going to wait on this due to cost and see how I do with other interventions.
    Coxsackie: Due to the cold I had when I tested
    CMV: Positive for antibodies though IgM is negative
    HHV-6: Highest she's ever seen though IgM is negative. She pondered whether the shingles vaccine I had might in some way be raising this but didn't know and didn't have anything to rely on to say that it could. She says this affects the hippocampus and suggests I look into a trial being done at Stanford by Dr. Montoya. She also referred me to the HHV-6 Foundation. At the top of their page full of scary articles is an one saying: 'new data [suggests] that HHV-6A may be a key player in the development of multiple sclerosis. The investigators propose that the viral protein U24 may dysregulate myelination'. :shock: I'm cluelessly on this!
    EBV: Positive for antibodies though IgM is negative. She says the elevated 'early antigen' suggests reactivation. Valacyclovir is a safe antiviral that I use 500 per day to help prevent additional shingles outbreaks. She suggests increasing to 3000/day for a couple weeks and then drop back to 1000/day (mg not pills :lol: ).
She seemed to agree with my new primary care doc that there's not a lot you can do about the viral infections. I'm going to run this past her again to see if I got that right as her perspective.

Visual contrast sensitivity: Failed test I took a while back

> Wants me to do visual contrast sensitivity test through Dr. Shoemaker instead of the one I did here.

Mercury: Have come down half way but she wants this at 0.

> Limit seafood to once a week and rely on fish oil. Fish oil makes me too lax but I sneak a half tsp in once and a while - probably not enough to help! I'll try the vegan kind but people take DHA for stiff joints, so no wonder it messes up my already too hypermobile joints :(

> Look into Andy Cutler's chelation protocol.

VEGF: low. This is angiogenic and builds capillaries throughout the body, assisting with circulation, delivery of nutrients etc. She indicated that viruses can lower this and it contributes to chronic fatigue.

> She likes to use VIP for this and says Dr. Bredesen does as well ($165/mo), but says it's not time for me to add that yet. Apparently VIP is very neuroprotective. Wish I could address this right away but I know she has some reason for waiting and I didn't have time to ask what it is.

CRP: High probably because of cold while testing

> Redo

Osmolality and ADH: 'Very low' and 'low'. This means my blood electrolyte/water balance is off. Electrolyte concentration isn't high enough. This contributes to fatigue and low blood pressure, which I always have. She says diastolic should be 70 minimum and mine is often below that with systolic 100-110 or so, usually closer to 100 occasionally going below that. She said this explains why I'm always bloated when I go keto and up my salt. I get frustrated with that and leave ketoland because I hate the swelling. She says it gets worse at first but will get better as osmolality improves. Oh! Hope so.

> Add 1/2 tsp salt to coconut water and add lime juice for taste and absorption. She said the coconut water adds more electrolytes and that I need the sugar to get the salt into my cells.

MRI with NeuroQuant: Dr. Ackerly says this will be very important in my case, probably due to the HHV-6 and long-standing MRSA sinusitis and brain fog.

> This is still on hold waiting for insurance approval but set for a week or two from now.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Juliegee wrote:Alysson, what a shame that you've had to work so hard to get the MARCoNS testing! Very interesting that Lab-to-Go can do the test. I wonder if that's just in your area or anywhere? This could conceivably help many of our members.
I still haven't had the MARCoNS testing done, but I almost did. The lab is called Any Lab Test Now, and they do have locations across the country. When I was at the lab, with testing kit in hand, I asked if I could get a receipt for the CPT code for the nasal swab. The lab tech did some poking around and called her boss. Evidently, there isn't such a CPT code. They were going to charge me $25, and the swab only needs to be inserted 1 to 2 inches into the nose. The kit instructions are clear. I asked if she thought I could do it myself. She said yes, absolutely. She added that some nasal swabs go much deeper into the nose, and for those, she would recommend that she do the swab.

So I decided to do the swab myself, but the testing kit is on my desk, unused. For many months, I had been sniffing essential oils throughout the day, especially before bed, and I decided to go completely off them for several weeks before doing the nasal swab on myself. It's time for me to get the darn thing done. THIS WEEK.
I've recently had some bad and some good news on my CIRS journey. First, the bad news. My new house officially has mold :shock: . I've been too afraid to do the HERSTMI testing, but during our demolition, we found quite a bit behind the master bath shower tile. It was on the lumber for the seat bench, sheetrock, and insulation around the shower. It's all been removed and treated, BUT I've had both a smoldering and now acute exposure with the demolition. My CIRS biomarkers were already horribly out of range BEFORE I moved into this new house. Sigh. The silver lining is that I do not have the HLA DR/DQ haplotype that is susceptible to mold, but rather to Lyme.

Now for the good news. I just had my IgG retested- 4 weeks after my last IVIG infusion and my level is up to 971 (normal reference 700-1,500.) My hematologist is stunned. He's never seen a patient recover from an immunodeficiency. He previously insisted that I would be receiving infusions for life. I told him that I was working with Dr. Schweig on addressing my CIRS and other underling infections/gut issues and I hoped to heal my immune system. He previously discounted that effort, but is now beginning to express interest. He's agreed to reconsider once I get levels to 1,000 and holding. I have an infusion scheduled for Friday. I'm crossing my fingers that I'll be able to skip the next one.
I'm so sorry to hear that your new house has mold; that is a shocker. Thank goodness you found it and thank goodness you don't have a mold-susceptible haplotype.

Awesome news about your IgG! Here's to you getting to 1,000 and holding indefinitely and shocking doctors. :D
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Harrison
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Harrison »

circular wrote:Thanks Julie! You know what it's like to get results and just sit around inexplicably staring at your naval :lol: Yep, certainly following Dr. Bredesen's finding vis infections and AD. I'm confused though why e4s are supposed to be both better at fighting infections and yet also fraught with them??? If we're better at fighting them why is the infectious route to AD being found in so many e4s? I understand e4's hyper-vigilance vs pathogens causing a chronic, hyper-inflammatory state, but why don't the pathogens get snuffed out?
I have wondered about this myself. See this new paper: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28122877:
activated microglia in mild cognitive impairment initially may adopt a protective activation phenotype, which later change to a cidal pro-inflammatory phenotype as disease progresses and amyloid clearance fails. Thus, we speculate that there might be two peaks of microglial activation in the Alzheimer’s disease trajectory; an early protective peak and a later pro-inflammatory peak.
Unfortunately no mention of apoE genotyping.