Vitamin D deficiencies due to SNPs

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
cdamaden
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Vitamin D deficiencies due to SNPs

Post by cdamaden »

All,
Trying to get a better understanding of Vitamin D. According to Dr. Rhonda Patrick, I have two SNPs that contribute to lower Vitamin D conversion. From her report:
Gene / SNPs / Status
vitamin D binding protein /rs2282679(A;C) /possible genetic risk for vitamin D deficiency
CYP2R1 /rs12794714(A;A) /genetic risk for vitamin D deficiency
She recommends to test and supplement, which I had been doing but my levels were always around 30 ng/ml. Now I understand better why they were so stubborn to raise. Since I got my last results in February (33 ng/ml), I've raised my daily intake to 6,000 IUs from 4,000 IUs. I haven't had a chance to retest.
My question is if either of these two SNPs affect the body's ability to absorb or process Vitamin D via sunlight.
Thanks,
Chris
Chris
E4/E4
Alameda, CA, USA
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Vitamin D deficiencies due to SNPs

Post by Stavia »

Me too Chris! Ive got the same genes and have to take 4000U a day to get to a decent level of 90-100 of my units (about 45 of your units).
Its a good question - are you asking because you are worried that sunlight in summer will push your levels too high?
I've just come off my summer and with heaps of sun plus the 4000U my levels only rose modestly.
adventure
Contributor
Contributor

Post by adventure »

Huh! Well now it makes sense. I had a vit d level of 12 and it was so hard to move it into the 20s. Eventually I got it into the low 30s but that was a couple of years ago and since then I backed down on the amt of supplement (have never liked the idea of supplements). Guess it is time for a blood test.
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nancy »

What is an SNP?
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

It stands for "single nucleotide polymorphism" and means a single different base pair in a gene that has been shown to be associated with a different function of that gene.
Apoe variants 2, 3 and 4 are all caused by one different base pair in the apoe gene.
Have a look at my introduction again for explanation of genetic terminologies.

Oh lol! We are featured on wikipedias explanation. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single- ... lymorphism
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nancy »

Wow, after reading that I'm thinking it would be a good idea for everyone to be tested so they know what diseases, if any, they're more likely to get. So like us, they can work on changing their lifestyles to help prevent them. Maybe in the future...
cdamaden
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by cdamaden »

Hi Stavia - yes, I am a little bit concerned about going over because of sun exposure. I am going on vacation back home to Florida next month and expect a good amount of outdoor time. Then again, I only started supplementing with Vitamin D (other than whatever is in multi-vitamins) in 2012 when my first recorded level was at 23.9 ng/ml. Only late last year I bumped the supplement level over 1000 IUs. My last reading was at 33 in February when taking 4000 IUs.

I noticed at wikipedia that one can't overdose on Vitamin D when the sun is your sole source because the body limits itself. So if I'm getting about 10 ng/ml increase for 4000 IUs, maybe I'm getting 15 ng/ml for 6000 IUs, so I don't see that as too much over what my body could naturally produce.

BTW - my first career was in submarines, where I could not see the sun for 2 months at a time. I think I took a multi- but geez, I wonder how low my levels got!

Nancy - I think most folks on this forum are for testing and trying to sort out the implications and strategies. On the flip side, there are lots of folks who just don't want to know. And of course there is always the budget....
Chris
E4/E4
Alameda, CA, USA
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nancy »

Sad, but true (budget considerations)
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Chris I understand.
I specifically tested at the height of summer to make sure I wasn't overdosing
Why dont you do the usual dose and test after a month in Florida?
You won't go toxic in a month.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

cdamaden wrote:From [Rhonda Patrick's] report...
vitamin D binding protein /rs2282679(A;C) /possible genetic risk for vitamin D deficiency
CYP2R1 /rs12794714(A;A) /genetic risk for vitamin D deficiency
Chris do you recall which RP report that SNP come from? In her 'How to Personalize Your Nutrition Based on Your Genes' she mentions the CYP2R1 gene but three SNPs on it different from the one you mention.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.