Resveratrol or Pterostilbene?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
ApropoE4
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Resveratrol or Pterostilbene?

Post by ApropoE4 »

That's exactly what I was looking for :)
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

I came across this article, which raises some concern with pterostilbene:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4099343/
Pterostilbene increases LDL and reduces blood pressure in adults. The proposed mechanism of action of pterostilbene is PPAR-α agonism, a transcription factor that regulates lipid metabolism in various ways. FDA-approved PPAR agonists (e.g., pioglitazone, rosiglitazone, and fenofibrate) have reported increases in LDL cholesterol in randomized, controlled trials. Traditional PPAR-γ agonists, thiazolidinediones, have consistently demonstrated LDL increases.
This LDL-raising effect was not noted in the group that used Pterostilbene in combination with grape seed extract.

Resveratrol seems to pair well with leucine (or HMB?) for the purposes of SIRT1 activation, although I'm not sure if this is counter-productive for other longevity-promoting purposes:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3506499/
In this study we show synergistic actions of either leucine or HMB with resveratrol on Sirt1 and Sirt3 activation and downstream metabolic effects. These effects were found with low concentrations of each compound that can be readily achieved via diet. We show that the low dose resveratrol is not sufficient to produce any metabolic effects independently while the combination of low dose resveratrol with leucine or HMB exhibited similar effects in vivo on insulin sensitivity, inflammatory markers, fat oxidation and heat production as the high dose resveratrol. In addition, animals fed the combinations, were leaner and gained less weight than the animals fed the high dose resveratrol.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Hmmm, elevated LDL (if that finding holds up) could be a reason to stick with resveratrol. I’m also curious about the pros and cons of resveratrol vs. pterostilbene. I reached out to SurFrank today in hopes that he would share his thoughts. In another thread, he’d previously mentioned that he thought pterostilbene was superior, but I’d like to hear his reasoning. FWIW, I’m currently using (knotwood free) Perfect ResGrape Max. It’s considerably less than a penny per 3mg serving, but still one of my most expensive supplements. I take 200 mg per day for around 83 cents. I’m currently combining it with the LEF NAD+ Cell regenerator (nicotinamide riboside) to further upregulate SIRT1. Of course, CR, fasting, exercise, fish, DHA, quercetin (in green tea,) Vitamin D, curcumin, alpha lipoic acid, PQQ and high polyphenol EVOO all contribute to do the same. Per my understanding of Dr. Bredesen’s theory, it’s all about balancing trophic & anti-trophic factors (ligands & receptors) to prevent an imbalance in endogenous plasticity signaling as we age. He suggests that a combination of strategies to up regulate SIRT1 appears to offer disadvantaged ApoE4 carriers the best chance.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Thanks for all that Julie. It helps to see all the ways to increase SIRT1. Having just read ConsumerLab's article on resveratrol, which left me underwhelmed, and in light of its cost, at the moment I'm inclined to focus on the other means to this end. That could change in an hour or so :lol:

Of particular concern to me is reporting of brain shrinkage in a one-year study of 500 mg/day, increasing to 2000 mg/day, in men and women with mild to moderate AD. Although the dose became quite high and the shrinkage wasn't associated with cognitive decline, it occurred more so in the resveratrol group. CL reports that brain shrinkage has occurred in studies of other potential treatments. While maybe our multipronged approach would offset that, one might wonder what 500 mg/day of resvertrol over many years would do to brain size. (Of course one could also wonder how many others of our supplements might be having a similar effect, with no known long-term outcomes specific to this.)

I look forward to more posts about res and pter and nic rib. Here is Dr. Bredesen's article about ApoE4 and SIRT1:

Neuroprotective Sirtuin ratio reversed by ApoE4
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
lumia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lumia »

apod wrote:I came across this article, which raises some concern with pterostilbene:
Pterostilbene increases LDL and reduces blood pressure in adults. The proposed mechanism of action of pterostilbene is PPAR-α agonism, a transcription factor that regulates lipid metabolism in various ways. FDA-approved PPAR agonists (e.g., pioglitazone, rosiglitazone, and fenofibrate) have reported increases in LDL cholesterol in randomized, controlled trials. Traditional PPAR-γ agonists, thiazolidinediones, have consistently demonstrated LDL increases.
This LDL-raising effect was not noted in the group that used Pterostilbene in combination with grape seed extract.
So at least on the flavonoid arm of the stack I should either have pterostilbene plus grape see extract or resveratrol alone (if adequetely pure)... The former is certainly cheaper (on 100mg of ptero and the cheapest grape seed extract), but what's your take?
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

lumia wrote:
apod wrote:I came across this article, which raises some concern with pterostilbene:
So at least on the flavonoid arm of the stack I should either have pterostilbene plus grape see extract or resveratrol alone (if adequetely pure)... The former is certainly cheaper (on 100mg of ptero and the cheapest grape seed extract), but what's your take?
Lately, I'm of the opinion that low to moderately dosed resveratrol with grape seed + skin (or pycnogenol?) is the way to go for me, until I see more research. Polydatin and fisetin are also intriguing, but under researched.