Vitamin K2

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Vitamin K2

Post by Stavia »

Christian that's the one I bought hubby :)
You're not off topic at all!
(And even if you were, we meander all over in our discussions)
I'm personally not very knowledgeable about K2 but am following advice of those on the forum that it may reduce arterial calcification.
I also respect Ivory Cummings analysis of the evidence and he has written and spoken a lot about it.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Your cardiologist recommendations sound similar to my hubs' guy. My hubs also has a high calcium score and has been stable for 10 years following a similar regimen.

Christian, you might want to read through http://examine.com/supplements/Vitamin+K/. It's one site I like to check when I have vitamin or supplement questions.
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

Just noting that I've been using the LEF product for ~2 yrs, always w some anxiety re the extra K1. But after a good discussion on a recent Chris Masterjohn podcast I switched to this "Full Spectrum" product from Innovix...

Note that it's not the one he noted that he uses, but that's a liquid, and I prefer the convenience of a capsule when I travel. Although I don't recall it being a subject of the podcast, I still think there's a good argument for a blend of Mk4 and Mk7 as in this product. I would love to get it all from food, but even for someone like me that is very intentional about real, pasture-based products, I think that's hard to do in our current food system reality.
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

{{{Stavia}}} I'm so happy that you finally got a 2nd opinion from a caring & qualified cardiologist. That alone must be enormously reassuring. The LEF brand is also the one that I use. At some previous point, we discussed their formula and concerns about excessive K1. Someone reached out to a rep who came back with a statement of reassurance... but what else would you expect ;). Dr. Masterjohn is the thought leader on this. I plan to use up my inventory and switch to the one that he recommends. Thanks, Russ.

Also, I'm not sure of this matters, but I try to take Vitamin D & K together after my fast with food sources of vitamin A (sweet potato wedges, carrot) and dietary fat. We know these three vitamins are fat soluble and work in concert with one another. I worry about taking them in a fasted state without dietary fat although some maintain that fish oil may be enough. Not sure- tricky.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Julie, thanks for the reminder to take those fat-soluabe vitamins D & K with food instead with my usual coffee breakfast.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Is it too obsessive for me to worry that the vitA in veggies is not the form the body uses and conversion is variable?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

LOL, that's also on my radar too. I didn't want to sound obsessive ;). Not to mention that I also have the snips that suggest I convert beta-carotene to vitamin A poorly. I keep my dietary intake very high (over 2,000% of USRDA) to compensate. Hope it's enough...
Thx4thegenes
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Thx4thegenes »

Hmmm, I've been taking this brand for a few years, which was recommended on The Perfect Health Diet. I did my research back then, maybe it's time to do some more!

Thank you!
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

The key enzyme responsible for beta-carotene conversion into retinal is beta-carotene 15,15'-monoxygenase (BCMO1). Since it has been reported that the conversion of beta-carotene into vitamin A is highly variable in up to 45% of healthy individuals, we hypothesized that genetic polymorphisms in the BCMO1 gene could contribute to the occurrence of the poor converter phenotype. Here we describe the screening of the total open reading frame of the BCMO1 coding region that led to the identification of two common nonsynonymous single nucleotide polymorphisms (R267S: rs12934922; A379V: rs7501331) with variant allele frequencies of 42 and 24%, respectively. In vitro biochemical characterization of the recombinant 267S + 379V double mutant revealed a reduced catalytic activity of BCMO1 by 57% (P<0.001). Assessment of the responsiveness to a pharmacological dose of beta-carotene in female volunteers confirmed that carriers of both the 379V and 267S + 379V variant alleles had a reduced ability to convert beta-carotene, as indicated through reduced retinyl palmitate:beta-carotene ratios in the triglyceride-rich lipoprotein fraction [-32% (P=0.005) and -69% (P=0.001), respectively] and increased fasting beta-carotene concentrations [+160% (P=0.025) and +240% (P=0.041), respectively]
rs12934922 and rs7501331 (T is the risk allele on both)

http://www.fasebj.org/content/23/4/1041.long
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Oh crap. I'm TT on the first one. But ok on the second. Luckily I love liver (Jewish food lol)