Recommended cookbooks for ApoE4 eating?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Recommended cookbooks for ApoE4 eating?

Post by Nancy »

Since repairing/protecting our health is partly dependent upon our new ways of eating, I thought it might aid in this transition to have some recommended cookbooks from those who have been studying this a while.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CatDC
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Recommended cookbooks for ApoE4 eating?

Post by CatDC »

Hi Nancy,
I have that cookbook and have started making some recipes from it, with some very good results and some "meh" results. Food likes and dislikes are such a subjective thing! The cookbook I like the best is called "the Art of Eating Well" by Jasmine and Melissa Hemsley. It's not specifically a keto cookbook, but their philosophy of cooking overlaps with a low carb, higher fat diet, and the food is absolutely delicious. My kids and spouse rave about the meals we cook out of it. I eat a strictly keto diet and there are plenty of recipes in there that meet the requirements.
Best,
Catherine
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nancy »

Thank you so much, Cat! :) I will try to find that book. I'm getting tired of salads and a piece of fish or seafood most meals! I thought a good cookbook would make it more enjoyable. We are a little limited with what we can eat.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

While not exactly a keto blogger, I like Danielle Walker's (http://againstallgrain.com/recipe-index/) cookbooks. Not a lot of weird ingredients and if you avoid the desserts, there are a lot of ideas for main dishes, sides and salads that are easy to modify as needed. Anybody who can make a yummy "fried rice" out of cauliflower gets my vote. :lol:
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nancy »

Oh, that sounds good, too! Thank you, Susan!!
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

The fried rice recipe is at http://www.thedoctorstv.com/recipes/fri ... out-recipe because she was a guest on the show a while back. You can swap out proteins and veggies. Make it your own! And if you like it, then you would like her cookbooks.
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nancy »

I looked through some of her recipes, they look wonderful! Thanks!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

If you don't have a food processor and like me you have grater-phobia with small items, or you just plain need to save time in the kitchen, and you have Trader Joe's nearby, TJs now sells already riced cauliflower. I don't think it's organic though. Check the frozen and regular deli sections. I'm not sure who else might have it.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
hill dweller
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by hill dweller »

buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by buck3Maureen »

For those of us that are avoiding gluten and want to reduce carbs I recommend 'The Chickpea Flour Cookbook' by Camilla Saulsbury. Every recipe I have tried so far has worked great -- waffles, crepes, bread, pizza, muffins, pasta even chickpea tofu.
Maureen