For those of us with elevated Lp(a)

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Thx4thegenes
Contributor
Contributor

Re: For those of us with elevated Lp(a)

Post by Thx4thegenes »

I found this article after a commenter recommended it on Jason Fung's site if anyone is interested. (the things we find!)

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2017/01/1 ... part-xxiv/

And then....someone else commented and led me to this:

http://knowledgeofhealth.com/something- ... rol-world/

I contacted Mr. Sardi and told him I was taking the Vitamin C protocol with L-Carnitine, L-Lysine and L-Proline (for elevated Lp(a) and had asked him about the different types of Vitamin C, which would be best, etc. , but......he wanted me to rethink the Carnitine and sent this article:

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2017/01/bil ... t-attacks/

And all this time I've been supplementing with Carnitine! I feel like throwing up my arms! I give up! My doctor has put in my lab work for recheck after 6 months in December and I've been a scaredy cat and haven't gone yet. I figured after the holidays and a wedding I'd better get back to a normal way of eating and then be tested. Maybe in a few weeks. ;)
Fidel
Contributor
Contributor

diet & Lp(a)

Post by Fidel »

My experience with Lp(a) is that it jumped into a higher risk category when i switched to a lower fat, higher protein diet (20% of calories each) in 2015. This year on a higher fat, lower protein diet (35% fat 10% protein), Lp(a) moved back into the optimal range (by Quest Lab standards) at 62, although that is considered borderline risk according to Torelli's 2005 "Beyond Cholesterol."

The macronutrient ratios are for 100% plant-based eating.
3/4
Thx4thegenes
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Thx4thegenes »

Hi Fidel, your results are pretty amazing. That is so interesting that the reversal of higher fat, lower protein got you better results. Can you tell me a little more of how or what you were eating? My LDL-P is a little higher than I like, so I've been trying to lower that as well. I've decreased the saturated fats, but have healthier fats such as EVOO, avocados, nuts, etc and some animal/dairy (0% yogurt mostly) based protein. Unfortunately, I do not know the percentages for each. I was once a vegetarian, then Paleo and now probably Mediterranean or somewhere in the middle. I'm trying not to be so hard on myself these days! I finally had follow up labs in February and it hasn't changed. Maybe I haven't given it enough time. Everywhere I read though, it almost seems like diet or lifestyle doesn't do a thing. It's been disheartening to say the least. Thank you so much for your input. I'm glad that your Lp(a) has lowered. That's great news! So much has changed in the Cholesterol world since 2005, do you think the book is still relevant? I'll check it out.

Thx!
Fidel
Contributor
Contributor

diet & Lp(a)

Post by Fidel »

Thx4TheGenes, i haven't read the Torelli book. It is quoted in the wikipedia article on Lp(a). From the snips i've seen, it does still seem relevant concerning heart disease risk factors.

Maybe i have the genetics that allow diet changes to modify my Lp(a) levels? Sounds like you eat well. The wiki article mentions how large amounts of vitamin C can lower Lp(a). Every couple hours during the day i would drink a couple oz. of a drink containing ascorbic acid. In 48 oz. of water i'd dissolve a tsp. of ascorbic acid powder, a tsp. of ginger powder, a tsp. of matcha powder, a tsp. of wheatgrass powder, a tsp. of whole leaf stevia powder, 4 400 mcg folic acid tablets and a 30 mg zinc gluconate tablet. That 48 oz. liquid would be consumed in 2-3 days. Might have gotten even better results with an even higher amount of ascorbic acid.

As for solid food, i was eating curry couscous with cranberries and organic spinach and a tablespoon of nutritional yeast, daiya cheese on organic sprouted flax bread with original vegenaise or extra virgin olive Earth Balance buttery spread, about 3 oz. of banana 4 times a day spaced out by 4 hours, an ounce of cashews or half ounce of pistachios a day, 3 oz. of organic apple sauce, a fairly large avocado per week eaten in daily portions. #SugarSundays included a serving of Ben & Jerry’s vegan ice cream. #MockMeatMondays included a gardein meatless meatball and a plant-based sausage. #TuberTuesdays included organic tater tots. #ThiolThursdays included peanut butter, cocoa, marmite, smart dog with a variety of mustards. #FishlessFridays included gardein crabless cakes or fishless filets. #SatFatSaturday included a half serving of daiya cheezecake.

You could use cronometer.com to track macronutrient ratios, as well as all nutrients.
3/4
Thx4thegenes
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Thx4thegenes »

Hi Fidel, I enjoyed reading about your themed days of the week menus! Thank you for the examples. Your vegan lifestyle is probably a plus for you. I was using the Pauling protocol with Vitamin C, Proline and Lysine, but wasn't consistent after a while and now I'm only using the ascorbic acid. And like you said, probably not at the higher dose level. I like your healthy concoction. I'll reread the wiki page and catch up with the Lp(a) Foundation page. Peter Attia was going to write an article about it, but hasn't yet as far as I know.

Thx!
Fidel
Contributor
Contributor

diet & Lp(a)

Post by Fidel »

Am now moving Monday's mock meats to #ThiolThursdays and going with #MonoFatMonday instead where alMONd butter and omega 7 rich macadamia nuts will be eaten.

That wiki page says testosterone lowers Lp(a). Got my testosterone level checked for the first time and it came back normal. Soy doesn't seem to be an actual problem as far as its effects on testosterone levels, and even if it is, i limit most of that to #ThiolThursdays. Beer does seem to be an issue there but i drink it very rarely.

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-mo ... s-in-beer/
3/4
Thx4thegenes
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Thx4thegenes »

Well, I'm a female, so I'm sure I'm low on testosterone and that won't be helping me! :lol:
Fidel
Contributor
Contributor

testosterone

Post by Fidel »

I know a lady who was taking testosterone to improve her libido. It did help her in that regard but one of the side effects was facial hair! :oops:
3/4
Thx4thegenes
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Thx4thegenes »

Oh my! :o
DesertRaven
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DesertRaven »

The lp(a) scientific research community (e.g., S. Tsimikas from UCSD) has done some nice work explaining why ApoE4 people are likely to have elevated lp(a). I also found that niacin at a 2000 mg level reduced my lp(a) from "really red" to "a little red". Whether that will improve CV outcomes remains to be proven (never mind AD!)