The Plant Paradox (Dr. Gundry) with Dr. Mercola

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

The Plant Paradox (Dr. Gundry) with Dr. Mercola

Post by apod »

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... ngers.aspx

"One of the strategies Gundry recommends and uses to improve his own metabolic flexibility is intermittent fasting. For nearly a decade now, he's been fasting for 22 hours a day, five days a week, from January through June 1, which means he eats all his calories for the day during a two-hour window. On the weekends, he eats lunch and dinner."

"In summer, I'll have a smoothie with some MCT oil in it, half an avocado, some romaine lettuce, spinach, half a lemon and a little bit of vanilla or stevia. Then I won't eat lunch. At dinner, same sort of thing, I try to pack all of my calories in between 6 and 8 o'clock at night"

"Gundry also understands the importance of cycling in and out of nutritional ketosis. While your body is still burning sugar as its primary fuel, you'll want to be quite strict about not going over your net carb allotment. But once your body has regained the metabolic flexibility to burn fat, it's really important to cycle in and out or on and off. I suggest doubling, tripling or even quadrupling your net carbs two days a week. Kiefer said you should burn fat for fuel most of the time. But every week, you should have what's called 'carb nite loading.' He chanced upon this by accident, but he made a career out of it. I picked his brain and he picked my brain. I think he's absolutely right."

It's interesting comparing the lunch-skippers to the breakfast-skippers. Seemingly, eating breakfast would put a damper on the hours spent intermittent fasting. I've heard Art De Vany also talk about the benefits of an early protein-rich breakfast followed by no lunch until dinner time (for body composition / longevity.) It sounds like Gundry sort of alternates between skipping breakfast, skipping lunch, and skipping breakfast + lunch... and sort of alternates (or recommends alternating) between minimal carbs and moderate (lots?) of carbs.

I'd love to hear more info on whether it's a wise thing to include a typical HFLC sort of fat-content in these carby meals (increasing triglycerides / fat storage), or if we're wanting to go low-fat for these meals (likely to spike blood sugar up / down unless it's something like legumes... rich in lectins.) If he's eating a full day's calories in that 2hr window and exercising beforehand and wanting a bit of a caloric surplus for growth / repair... that's seemingly a boatload of carbs (or a boatload of carbs+fats) in the evening a couple days a week. Really getting into the nitty gritty deets... I'd also love to compare something like carb-loading back-to-back Saturday+Sunday then 5-keto days vs a carb-refeed every 3rd day or so. (Perhaps it doesn't much matter so long as we're eating clean foods, keeping stress down, and staying active.)