aspirin and curcumin and fish oil?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

aspirin and curcumin and fish oil?

Post by chrissyr »

Do people think it is too much of a good thing to take low dose aspirin and curcumin and fish oil (1000 mg) daily? Do they all thin blood? I'm definitely taking the fish oil and curcumin and have added more walnuts and flax seed meal too. But I'm not sure if I should be taking aspirin.

I have high lp(a), am a high absorber, and have low omega 3's. Also high ldl overall. BMI is 21 but largish in the waist (34?)

Thanks in advance!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: aspirin and curcumin and fish oil?

Post by Julie G »

Yes, they can all thin the blood as do other supplements. I take all 3 without a problem. Your physician can help you sort out whether or not this is suitable for you. Do you have a family history of stroke, Chrissy?
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Chrissy, I also take supplements (omega 3s, curcumin), that happen to be blood thinning. Until recently, I also took a low-dose aspirin most days because I believe there are a number of benefits to be gained, not the least of which is a reduction in overall inflammation. My reasons for discontinuing aspirin for now are: 1) more frequent stomach irritation even at a very low dose, definitley more of a problem once I turned 60, 2) bruising easily, and 3) my functional med doctor's concerns about NSAIDS potential contribution to gut permeability and therefore inflammation...the marker I'm trying so hard to reduce. He referred me to Dr. Perlmutter's views on the subject - my next research project.
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

great information, thanks. I may hold off on the aspirin for now. No history of strokes in the family as far as I'm aware.

the lp(a) is new to me, not sure if it is common with Apoe4. Apparently it is another heart risk factor that is inherited. Nothing will help diet wise, but aspirin or niacin can reduce risk.

so many factors!
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Chrissy, I had a high lp(a) which runs 150-207 At Quest, 75mg at LabCorp, but my calcium scan was zero at age 64. My 3/4 mom has been on a low-dose statin for decades, so I've been reticent to stop mine despite the zero score. Still debating this question.
Also, I've taken aspirin 81mg & fish oil for decades since my hemoglobin runs 15 (high for a women due to one copy of the hemochromatosis gene). Due to a possible drug interaction, I stopped the curcumin, but now another pharmacist thinks that interaction is very minor. So far, my testing with turmeric ginger tea, I haven't noticed any interactions. Like my mom who also runs a 76mg lp(a), I bruise easily. Some folks limit their aspirin exposure to only when they travel to prevent blood clots.
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

Thank again. It is hard to make these decisions, as there is not enough research yet e.g. with statins. I read studies that correlate more statins with less AD, but I know they are not causal, and see that Dr. Bredesen would like overall cholesterol to be on the higher side. My mom took statins for years and we finally took her off of them when she was in moderate stage of dementia. I'm guessing that she is 3/4 like me, and we have similar lipid panel. I will hold off for now.... enough to do with fasting, supplements exercise, etc!

And I will hold off on aspirin right now as I have just added fish oils and curcumin, that's a good start :)

I don't even fully understand what all of these blood tests mean, need to continue education!

Turtle steps as I have read in other posts.

This is a great forum.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Julie G wrote:Yes, they can all thin the blood as do other supplements.
I am taking a total of almost 5000 mg omega 3 and 1500 mg of Curamed curcumin daily. Eight days before the attached picture was taken, I developed a 1/2 golf ball sized hematoma on my forearm where an acupuncture needle was placed. The mini "goose egg" lump resolved quickly with pressure, with some mild swelling for about 24 hours. Given the size and duration of the bruise, I conclude I am taking too much "blood thinner" and have reduced my omega 3 to 3320 mg.

Comments encouraged! Bring it on! Uh, with the exception of commenting on my sun damaged skin and seborrheic keratoses...too much Southern CA sun in my formative years...

PS. the structure on the left of the picture is my proximal posterior hand, not a webbed appendage :o
IMG_0318.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slacker
E4/E4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

I consume 6,400 mg/day fishoil, 81 mg asprin per Dr. Gundry. No issues except bleed a little longer when I leave a skin tithe on the rock when climbing. Also have slightly elevated Lp(a) and take 1 g vitamin C twice a day and 500 mg niacinimide per day per Gundry - which works for me. Dropped the niacinimide for a while as it will raise homocysteine and mine was stubbornly around 11. With 10,000 mcg/day Vit B12 (again per Gundry) methylcobalabin (sp?) sublingual, it dropped to 7.7 so am adding back in the niacinimide to see what happens.
Tincup
E3,E4
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Would it help to know you've got company, slacker? I used to take 3000mgs of omega3s, 1500mgs of curcumin and a daily aspirin. When my hawkeye friends would point out my bruises, I'd say, "well, I bruise easily". Uh..right. Being a quick learner, after about 2 years it suddenly occurred to me that if I was bruising so easily, what might happen to my brain if I got a little bump. So, I cut back to where the bruises are just occasional - a compromise of sorts.

Glad you're on the mend, slacker. And oh, speaking as a socal native who also got waaay too much sun, IMO your skin looks just fine. A heckuva lot better than mine, for sure 8-).
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

um...what am I missing here about optimal omega 3 doses? I'm only taking a gram of total omega 3s - half fish/mussels half Ovega. when I did my omega 6/3 ratio in the USA 3 years ago on this regime it was apparently ok at 3.55 on Boston labs where optimal was less than 15.
Should I be taking more?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk