? about Niacin and lipids

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Re: ? about Niacin and lipids

Post by Magda »

cwicker wrote:Hi all, I am new to the forum. I don't have my genetics tests back yet but both my parents have Alzheimer's (both developed at age 75) and are in long term care. Like many of you, I have problematic lipids with high LDL P levels. In fact, my athletic brother died at 56 (E3/E4) due to sudden cardiac death and my father has CAD (quadruple bypass). Diet of different types never worked to bring down the LDL P and I am very statin intolerant. What does work is Niacin 500 mg (short acting full flush) twice a day. However there is no data on this and I don't see such high doses recommended by any expert. Does anyone know any benefit or harm from taking this much Niacin? My LPa and HS CRP are low. HDLs are high and protective.

I am a nurse practitioner and will do the December training for the Bredesen protocol.

Hello Cwicker,
Welcome to the site. We are glad to have here contributing to our discussions.
I am very sorry to hear your parents have been sick, and that you have lost your brother.
It sounds you are very proactive taking ownership of your own health.

I would like to point you towards the Primer: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418
This part of the site has been written by our fellow- a Doctor. It contains tons of easy to absorb informations of APOE-ε4 allele, as well as some prevention, and lifestyle modification steps. Please browse around the primer, and feel free to ask if any questions arise.

In regards to Niacin question: I do not have any medical training. I am Functional Medicine Coaching Academy Student. Functional medicine and nutrition are my passions. I do listen to summits, and attend conferences. I have heard Dr. Ben Lynch discussing pros and cons of supplementing with niacin. Below is the link to one of his video. It sound a little basic, but I am inserting it anyway. Maybe it will be interesting to you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmcu_oyKVYk

Looking forward hearing more from you.

Be well,
Magda

P.S. Interesting nickname, Cwicker. Is it polish?
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline
cwicker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cwicker »

Thanks everyone for your responses. Certainly it's easy to go down rabbit holes on this forum. I ventured down some lipid ones often leave more confused than when I left.

Thanks Magda, the name is just a mash of my own.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

@cwicker
lipids are a controversial topic in itself. Zetia is another option although it does not have the anti-inflammatory properties of a statin but certainly lowered my values and LDL-P.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Russ wrote: What I can say is that my life path and own health have radically changed for the better since making these discoveries. And for that, I continue to view my own health as at least one positive outcome of my Dad's sacrifice. And another is the pleasure of getting to know many of you in this community :-).
Russ
Thank you so much for sharing this, Russ. It is a good reminder to be aware that something that may be seen as beneficial in one area of health may be having negative impacts in another.
The photo of you all making your smiles with your hands made me cry for the pure sweetness of it. Your Dad was so fortunate to have such a loving and caring family. It is wonderful that you've improved your own health as a result of his sacrifice. I am sure that contributing to your changing your health for the better is an outcome your Dad would be so happy about.
Same with my Mom. as with you and your Dad, I know doing everything I can to keep myself healthy is the best tribute to her I can make and one that would really matter to her.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

cwicker wrote: I have problematic lipids with high LDL P levels. In fact, my athletic brother died at 56 (E3/E4) due to sudden cardiac death and my father has CAD (quadruple bypass).
Hi cwicker,
I also have high LDL-P levels (they used to be sky-high (above 2200) but dropped in half after 6 months on 10 mg atorvastatin. Luckily I didn't have myalgia. But I also had very high Lp(a) and a father who died of cardiac arrest at age 67, shortly after quadruple bypass surgery. Since my PCP agrees that the outcome studies argue against niacin, I decided to pay $ 150. for a coronary calcium scan (insurance would not have covered it). The result was greatly reassuring--zero calcium and a coronary artery "age" of 39 (if only my 65 year old face would decide to look 39 also!)
I know that some on this forum believe that it's going to be inflammation and probably other factors, not necessarily lipids, that will be proven have the biggest influence on dementia. For myself, it's worth paying some money to put "heart disease" much further down the list of things to worry about. Sadly, I would guess that your dad and brother, like my dad, had other factors which led to their heart disease.
4/4 and still an optimist!
cwicker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cwicker »

Actually NF52, both ate well. My brother was an athlete who swam competitively and biked. My father was active. I can't find other risk factors for them. Your right, a coronary calcium score would put my mind at ease.
cwicker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cwicker »

Tincup wrote:cwicker,

For what it is worth, Dr. Steve Gundry says that Niaspan, is a bad deal, wrote a paper on it and talked to the head of the drug Co saying as much. On the other hand he does prescribe niacin as you are taking, with success. A gram a day is not unusual, from what other patients have reported.
Tincup, thanks. I was looking to see if others who studies APOE4 feel that the short-acting Niacin, such that I am taking is beneficial. I would like to note, both my parent's, and both with dementia, were on Niaspan for about 10 years.
cwicker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cwicker »

Ski wrote:Yeah the various responses people have to statins is remarkable. wish I never had to be on one but oh well, roll the dice.
I just got my 23andme result. It turns out, I am very surprised as both parents developed dementia in their mid 70s, that I am homozygous APOE3. Anyway, running my numbers through Prometheus, it shows I am 17 times more likely to get myalgias from statins. Plus, being a small statured woman seems to increase my risk of myalgias with statins.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Great news, cwicker, about being a 3/3! Must bring you some peace of mind, given your parents' dementia.

Good find on the myalgia risk, but now you have more good info for your focus in on your lipids.
cwicker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cwicker »

SusanJ wrote:Great news, cwicker, about being a 3/3! Must bring you some peace of mind, given your parents' dementia.

Good find on the myalgia risk, but now you have more good info for your focus in on your lipids.
Thanks Susan, my husband, who is my caregiver partner and knows the shape my parents are in, asked me," are you sure they didn't mix up your results with someone else." I appreciate the tips on this forum and knowing my dad is an APOE4 and my late brother was, I appreciate the tips on lifestyle, nutrition, and supplements I find on the forum and feel they are still relevant to me and my life for dementia prevention.