Brain Training Study

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Brain Training Study

Post by Jan »

Yobetty wrote:I'm learning music theory right now. I suspect that could be along the lines of what you are referring to. I have noticed myself drifting away from BrainHQ and have been considering Lumosity to add some variety, but I'd rather find more activities that have the same good effect and have benefit beyond just exercising the brain - like learning music theory.
Yobetty, I was just reading back over recent threads, and saw your post about learning music theory. Just wondered how that is going for you. Are you enjoying the challenge?
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
ccfield
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ccfield »

I have been playing Lumosity for years now and just started with BrainHQ. I find BrainHQ to be more challenging. While I'm a bit leery about the efficacy of brain training regarding prevention, I sure do enjoy the games so I keep playing.

I agree with Stavia about functional training and I too am boxing. I have found that remembering the long combos and responding quickly have challenged me considerably. It also pushes my cardio fitness up a notch. I also recently started trying to memorize all the flags of the world. This is an immense task and I'm not sure possible, but I'll keep on with it and let you know how it goes!
- Carrie B
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Welcome to our community ccfield!

I share your opinion re: BrainHQ vs Lumosity, although to be honest, I’ve found it hard to stay committed to either. I’ve been more consistent studying piano, getting back into yoga and working on my Italian (still fairly awful) probably because I just enjoy these activities more. It does sound like you’ve found an excellent balance between brain training games and functional training.

If you haven’t found it as yet, you may enjoy reading our site Primer (written by Stavia, a practicing physician). Also, please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself and what brought you to our site whenever you’re comfortable.
In any event, welcome to the group!
-Lucy
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

ccfield wrote: I also recently started trying to memorize all the flags of the world. This is an immense task and I'm not sure possible, but I'll keep on with it and let you know how it goes!
Impressive, ccfield! I think that kind of challenge is excellent in many ways. Let us know how you progress - especially if you come up with any special tips you could share in how to do it. :-)
mrc cfnc fmchc
E2/E2
ccfield
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ccfield »

Thanks Jan. I have no idea if I'm capable of this but it's a fun challenge.
Here's the first tip: I'm learning by colors. I started with the red and white flags (i.e., Japan, Georgia, Poland). I imagine this will take me a year. :)
- Carrie B
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

A year is ok. Think how many mental pushups your brain will be doing in that year. Bulking up!
mrc cfnc fmchc
E2/E2
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JD2020 »

I am working on changing my attitude about BrainHQ after reading the most recent book, The First Survivor's...

Here is my question. It turns out my hearing is not great. I just finished "Fine Tuning". I was trying to distinguish between ek and eks. Quite often, I could not hear the S at all. Is the idea that my brain is going to learn to hear the S? Has anyone experienced that sort of improvement after doing BrainHQ for a while?
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

JD2020 wrote:I am working on changing my attitude about BrainHQ after reading the most recent book, The First Survivor's...

Here is my question. It turns out my hearing is not great. I just finished "Fine Tuning". I was trying to distinguish between ek and eks. Quite often, I could not hear the S at all. Is the idea that my brain is going to learn to hear the S? Has anyone experienced that sort of improvement after doing BrainHQ for a while?
I haven't used BrainHQ, but I did spend years working alongside speech pathologists and audiologists who explained that a high frequency hearing loss makes it difficult for someone to hear sounds like /s/, /f/ and /th/, especially at the end of words. So in a noisy environment, many people, especially those over the age of 50 or so, find themselves figuring out what someone has said by the context. "Normal" hearing means you can hear sounds at 10 decibels and at a pitch (low to high) ranging from about 250 Hz to about 6000 hz. ( Sounds can occur above and below those levels, but they're not speech sounds.). You may have a mild high frequency hearing loss if the only sounds you have trouble with are s/f/th, because those are at the 20 decibel level. A "mild" hearing loss is when you can hear those sounds at about 30 decibels.

Here's the catch: Unless you know what the decibel level of the BrainHQ game is at, you don't know if you really can't hear "eks" at 20 decibels or if you can't hear it at 10 decibels. If you were listening on your laptop or through a phone, with a not-great audio system, your hearing might be just fine. One easy way to find out is to ask a friend to talk in a normal voice in the same room and see if you have trouble understanding the endings of some words. Or you could make an appointment with an audiologist. They are usually covered by insurance and can give you a complete description of your hearing from a soundproof booth.

But from my understanding of people with advanced degrees in audiology, while you can "train" yourself to listen carefully, you cannot retrain your brain to hear sounds it no longer is receiving due to age-related hearing loss. An audiologist could give you information about whether it makes sense to think about one of. the current "doesn't look like a hearing aid" models.
4/4 and still an optimist!
Quantifier
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Quantifier »

JD2020 wrote: It turns out my hearing is not great.
Have you heard of neosensory? It's a hearing aid that works by converting sound to vibrations on your wrist. The brain apparently learns to interpret the vibrations as sound on its own, which requires some formation of new brain circuits (this happens spontaneously with use). 2 birds with 1 stone: improved hearing and brain flexibility.
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JD2020 »

Thank you both for your replies. I will consider seeing an audiologist and check out neosensory.

If the brain by itself cannot retrain itself to hear sounds it is no longer receiving, then why am I playing this game?