another fish oil question

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
anne from california
Contributor
Contributor

another fish oil question

Post by anne from california »

I did a search for curcumin and fish oil, and came upon a thread from a couple months ago about dosages and risks of too-thin blood. But I'm so confused by the discussion of DHA, EPA and the milligrammage. I'm taking 1 teaspoon of Pure Encapsulations DHA/EPA fish oil, which has this:

fish oil concentrate 4,600 mg.
(anchovies, herring, sardines)
providing (typical):
EPA 740-825 mg.
(eicosapentaenoic acid)
DHA 460-550 mg.
(docosahexaenoic acid)

Too much? I'm also taking 500 mg curcumin (with black pepper) once a day, when I can figure out how to fit it in between meals--seems I'm always eating during my waking, non fasting hours. I don't want too-runny blood!
60 years old, ApoE 3/3, mother and grandmother have/had late-onset dementia, eager to save brain and optimize health.
Thank you all for sharing your knowledge!
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: another fish oil question

Post by Stavia »

Anne, current consensus is that want about a gram of DHA in total per day from food plus supplements. This isnt based on any trial but a pragmatic rule of thumb.
If you're not eating fish on a particular day, one teaspoon is a bit low if you chose to follow this recommendation.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
anne from california
Contributor
Contributor

Post by anne from california »

I think I'm getting confused by the 4600 mg of fish oil, which sounds high to me, yet the numbers on the DHA and EPA specifically aren't that high. Since I'm also doing curcumin and ashwagandha, am I running a risk of blood-thinning?
60 years old, ApoE 3/3, mother and grandmother have/had late-onset dementia, eager to save brain and optimize health.
Thank you all for sharing your knowledge!
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

We're having a similar debate here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3844

Russ tells me he eats a tin of sardines about three or four times a week and his Omega 3 index is good.
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Stavia wrote:Anne, current consensus is that want about a gram of DHA in total per day from food plus supplements. This isnt based on any trial but a pragmatic rule of thumb.
Stavia’s recommendation is a good, but like she said, it is a rule of thumb. The only way to know for sure if that level is good is with a blood test. My husband was taking that level of DHA a day, but his blood test showed it wasn’t enough, he had to increase the level.

Our doctor, Dr Steven Gundry, cites that a high RBC (red blood count, not serum) EPA + DHA level (the two primary components of fish oil) corresponds with larger total brain and hippocampal volumes. He has stated that DHA in particular is what to emphasize, he says to buy fish capsules with the most DHA per fish oil capsule that you can afford.

While a good Omega-3 index for the general population is considered 8 to 10, Dr Gundry says the Omega-3 index for ApoE4s should be higher at 10 to 12.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

What fish oil have you found with the highest level of DHA? Costco no longer makes the label that Gundry describes in Plant Paradox.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Was using the same brand but found one that is only available online that is close. Has higher DHA than the Costco brand.

https://www.costco.com/trunature-Triple ... reId=10301
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

And another fish oil question...I found out that I have a sensitivity to anchovies, and need to stop taking my current Omega-3 supplement for at least 3 months. I guess I have two choices:

1) Find a source for Omega-3 supplement that is not made from anchovies. I found a vegan DHA supplement, but assume I should be taking EPA too? Anyone know of a vegan (or anchovy-free) source of DHA + EPA?
2) Or just stop taking Omega-3 supplement for 3 months. What are the risks with this? Can I just eat more salmon and seeds?

Thoughts??
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

JML wrote:And another fish oil question...I found out that I have a sensitivity to anchovies, and need to stop taking my current Omega-3 supplement for at least 3 months. I guess I have two choices:

1) Find a source for Omega-3 supplement that is not made from anchovies. I found a vegan DHA supplement, but assume I should be taking EPA too? Anyone know of a vegan (or anchovy-free) source of DHA + EPA?
2) Or just stop taking Omega-3 supplement for 3 months. What are the risks with this? Can I just eat more salmon and seeds?

Thoughts??
JML, I think you'll be hard pressed to get suggested amount of DHA (1 gm/day) through non anchovy supplement sources without taking a lot of pills. I think focusing on food is a good idea - fatty fish.
Slacker
E4/E4
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

There are supplements rich in DHA that are algal products. Blue/green algae. Maybe a few others. I understand the formulation wasn't as good as fish oil in years past - something about the bioactove form of DHA and EPA - but I bet they've worked that out by now. Worth exploring.