Suggestions for 85-year-old 4/4

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
eap1992
Contributor
Contributor

Suggestions for 85-year-old 4/4

Post by eap1992 »

I just got my grandmother's 23andme results back this morning. Like I suspected, she is homozygous 4/4. She is also homozygous for MTHFR C677T. She definitely has had some memory changes that have concerned my mom recently, but she is doing surprisingly well for her age.

She can be quite stubborn about things, and I don't know how much I'll be able to change (she's pretty set in her ways, and she's already stated that she isn't going to give up chocolate...she does like dark chocolate though ;) ). She is also underweight (well under 100 lbs) and she is unable to exercise (she uses a walker to walk in her condo and is pushed in a wheelchair when at restaurants, etc).

What are the easiest eating suggestions for someone in her situation?

Also I do think she would be willing to take supplements. I believe she takes fish oil and a few others. I doubt that she is taking B vitamins (which she will obviously need with the MTHFR). Would you suggest starting the B vitamins now, or waiting on lab results before starting?

The thing is I'm not sure if she'd be willing to go to a functional medicine doctor. In the case that she doesn't, what lifeextension labs would you suggest that I order? She can definitely afford labs, so any and all labs recommended are great (whether that's just going through the Bredesen list and ordering those that are on lifeextension or something else).

Thank you everyone for your help.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Suggestions for 85-year-old 4/4

Post by KatieS »

eap1992 wrote:I just got my grandmother's 23andme results back this morning. Like I suspected, she is homozygous 4/4. She is also homozygous for MTHFR C677T. She definitely has had some memory changes that have concerned my mom recently, but she is doing surprisingly well for her age.

She can be quite stubborn about things, and I don't know how much I'll be able to change (she's pretty set in her ways, and she's already stated that she isn't going to give up chocolate...she does like dark chocolate though ;) ). She is also underweight (well under 100 lbs) and she is unable to exercise (she uses a walker to walk in her condo and is pushed in a wheelchair when at restaurants, etc).

What are the easiest eating suggestions for someone in her situation?

Also I do think she would be willing to take supplements. I believe she takes fish oil and a few others. I doubt that she is taking B vitamins (which she will obviously need with the MTHFR). Would you suggest starting the B vitamins now, or waiting on lab results before starting?

The thing is I'm not sure if she'd be willing to go to a functional medicine doctor. In the case that she doesn't, what lifeextension labs would you suggest that I order? She can definitely afford labs, so any and all labs recommended are great (whether that's just going through the Bredesen list and ordering those that are on lifeextension or something else).

Thank you everyone for your help.
Your grandmother sounds like my 3/4, homozygous MTHFR C677T, almost 100 y/o mom. She focuses her supplements to "give energy", "always sleep well" and "have a good elimination daily". She has been on a B12/folate supplement for years with confirmed high B12 level. Curcumin, alpha lipoic acid, moringa and pumpkin & fish oil are her favorite supplements. I've witnessed her giving other seniors curcumin pills as she is so convinced of it's benefits. Another senior takes coconut oil, so she briefly tried this, but this might be an option. My mom has always fasted overnight long periods (13+ hours) and never snacks. I don't try to change her diet (other than she gets my veggie soups & salads), nor do I monitor with Dr. Bredesen's labs, but perhaps, your GM is much younger. My mom's weight has been declining over this last decade; I find lots of nuts and avocados help. She loves butter and cheese. Is there any senior exercise program available for her? These classes provide social support, range of motion and she can do holding onto her walker.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Hi eap. Her being underweight is likely influencing her physical abilities, too.

Maybe an easy way to sneak in calories and supplements is do a daily smoothie. You could use almond milk, throw in a half an avocado (doesn't change the flavor, just makes it creamy), some cocoa powder (since she likes chocolate), maybe a protein powder and vary with a handful of berries. There are powered supplements out there made just for slipping into drinks. This recipe might not be sweet enough for her palate, but you could add a couple of dates to bump the sweetness.

If you start B vitamins, start with B-12. You can find lozenges in flavors that might be easier to take (and are better absorbed). Then start methyl-folate after a couple of weeks at a very low dose to avoid side effects. 400 mcg/day or even less. But do test those values to make sure.

Good luck!
eap1992
Contributor
Contributor

Post by eap1992 »

Thank you both for your suggestions. She also has a history of explosive diarrhea where she sometimes can't make it to the bathroom. That has been an issue for several years. I know I personally have had a lot of issues with diarrhea with doing a high fat diet, but maybe it will help. I know dairy & gluten probably aren't helping her cause with her bowel troubles either, but I doubt she'll want to change her ways.... Maybe she could do better alternatives (like almond milk instead of regular milk, etc)

My aunt lives in the same city as her, but I unfortunately live in a different state. My aunt does do her grocery shopping though.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

The lactase tablets do help with the milk digestion, but my mom sometimes forget to take and now prefers dark chocolate (too many carbs) almond milk. You might have her doctor consider cholestryramine to control the diarrhea, as it seems to help this aging bowel problem and Dr.Bredesen suggests for toxin absorption.
eap1992
Contributor
Contributor

Post by eap1992 »

KatieS wrote:The lactase tablets do help with the milk digestion, but my mom sometimes forget to take and now prefers dark chocolate (too many carbs) almond milk. You might have her doctor consider cholestryramine to control the diarrhea, as it seems to help this aging bowel problem and Dr.Bredesen suggests for toxin absorption.

Thanks Katie. And then I'm assuming estrogen/progesterone wise there isn't really anything to do since she's so far gone past the point of menopause? Bredesen says optimize hormones.... but doesn't differentiate by age. Your mom isn't on HRT right??
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

My mom has been on estrogen for over 50 years. I think Julie’s mom started estrogen late. My 66 y/o friend was declined HRT due to a positive Ca score.