How strictly do you adhere to a prevention lifestyle?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
McGido
Contributor
Contributor

How strictly do you adhere to a prevention lifestyle?

Post by McGido »

As someone who is just starting out I was curious how this community approaches and adheres to the various lifestyle/diet advice posted here and from other sources.

I'm 31 and really up until my 31st bday in December I never had really paid too much attention to my health. I've always been lean and active but never thought much about diet because I've remained pretty lean regardless of my diet. I've spent the balance of my adult life partying to be honest. I've made pretty sweeping changes over the past 2 months. It was like 8-9 years of having good intentions about changing finally came to a bottleneck that exploded into sudden and immediate action. I'm likely linking this to my fathers passing from Alzheimers late in December.

Embarking on this change is exciting but I'm also curious how most of you balance all of it.

Do you still eat any junk food (burgers, pizza, candy, pasta etc) from time to time?

Do you still drink alcohol?

I'm contemplating questions along these lines.

It's been quite a shock for my girlfriend of 3 years as I went from "binge" drinking semi-regularly to having maybe 5 total drinks over the past 60 days and from ordering pizza, being lazy and careless in my food choices to buying the freshest salmon I can find and buying a steamer to cook it perfectly haha. She's embraced it all with encouragement but as I'm making these changes I'm trying to be mindful to not become obsessive to a point that negatively impacts me. It's all about finding that balance! I suppose the common wisdom would be everything in moderation but if any of you have any insights on how you approach a prevention based lifestyle please feel free to share.

I think I've had a few moments where all the information available is a bit overwhelming to digest and I can see myself obsessively critiquing lifestyle choices on a daily basis. Ultimately, this has been a net positive as I'm much more mindful of my actions but sometimes it can bring on a background anxiety if I feel I'm not doing things right or if I slip up.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: How strictly do you adhere to a prevention lifestyle?

Post by Stavia »

McGido, great question.
I am not super strict on some things.
I drink a little alcohol: only single malts, at most one a week, not every week. I used to drink more. I'm wondering tho if it's really ok, so I'm keeping the size low and really enjoying it slowly.

I don't cheat much with wheat based products because the migraine 6 hrs later dissuades me. So I might have a nibble of the edge of someone's pizza or sourdough crust.

Eating cleanly - I'm probably 90% to 95% good. I would cheat with something with sugar or fried in industrial seed oil. Not regularly. But I maintain good glucose and inflammatory markets. If they went off, I'd stop cheating.

I really really don't wanna be super obsessed. I find that when I cheat beyond a certain threshold I don't feel well. So I try to stay above it.
I travel overseas a lot, so I'm grateful a little cheating doesn't seem to harm me.
But YMMV remember.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Hi McGido. I phased in the lifestyle / diet changes over the course of a year or two. And I wonder how well I'll adhere to the plan over the long term. I've tried to make it a "real" new lifestyle and get support from my healthcare providers and family in the hope that this will help me stick with it. I do feel good - that makes it easier. And when I care for family members I get a "motivation boost". When my diet really became "reCODE"-like my spouse was supportive but also unsure of what it all meant, and she tolerated the minor annoyances of not knowing what I'd eat or if we could go out for dinner - mostly when I was figuring it out and not sure myself. My friends and extended family aren't in the loop - they just think I'm a weird eater and a bit of a hypochondriac. I can live with that. Once or twice a month I'l have an ice cream or slice of pizza - with the family. If I mess up I at least try to enjoy it. But my desire to eat bags of chips or snack at midnight has passed - I'm just not "hangry" anymore. Like you I'm trying to not become too obsessive about it. And to take the long view. I'd suggest taking it slow, improving little by little, and letting your girlfriend enjoy the benefits of good food, your cooking, and overall good health.

I'm very sorry to hear about your father. I'm sure he would have been very happy that your are taking care of your health.
dingter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dingter »

I think it's important to have some cheat days / times built in. I've found that total deprivation of things that I enjoy builds up over time and eventually leads to a binge session which will undermine all of the strides I've made. Think it's human nature and good to "refresh" with a small indulgence before getting back into a routine again.
Searcher
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Searcher »

McGido,

What wise questions! And you've had a lot of helpful, wise answers.

There's a perspective you might find helpful.

What activities do you find fulfilling and meaningful? How can you make room, or more room, for those activities in your life?

Health and well-being then become a means to the end of creating a truly satisfying life. They become a springboard for what you need to do with your minutes, hours, days and weeks. All that helps create a great life, one small step at a time.

This seems simple, but people I work with usually require a bit of thoughtful exploration to gain clarity. The more clearly they see, the more easily they do what it takes to stay well in every way. People with anorexia start to eat better, people with excessive anxiety grow calmer and more confident, people struggling with overload and demotivation rediscover their energy, people struggling with regrets start to focus more on the present moment etc. It all starts with recognizing what activities enrich their life (not merely in monetary ways either).

The more clearly you see your "Why", the easier it becomes to manage the "How".

The other thing that really helps me with healthy living is visualizing what happens in my body when I eat a delicious piece of cake. Or stay sitting for too long. Or start living in fear of the future. Or drink a few shots of delicious Scotch or a few glasses of delicious wine.

It works with healthy practices too. Visualizing what happens in my brain when I eat oily fish Or do some vigorous exercise. Or play the piano. And so on.

I believe the main challenge for each of us is to create more joy in life. That comes from knowing what matters and doing what it takes.

You are blessed to be 31, because there's potentially a lot of joy waiting for you on the road ahead.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

At 62, and having had the care of my mother with dementia, I am pretty strict. I'm a patient of Dr. Steve Gundry and have detailed what we do here.. That being said, I do drink some dry red wine when I'm not fasting (I fast 5 consecutive days of 14). I also do other practices, such as a daily heat lamp sauna session followed by a 20 minute bath in 49 deg F (9.5 deg C) water.

Perhaps more germane to you at your age, my 28 year old daughter (and her husband) has recently started following Gundry's approach when they cook at home. As I think that keeping the insulin/glucose system in great shape is a huge priority, bought them a glucose/ketone monitor (Keto-Mojo). She told me her ketones tested nil (not surprising). Her fasting glucose was 78 mg/dL and her 1 hour post meal glucose was 89 mg/dL. I told her she was doing very well and, if she keeps this up, she'll likely avoid many chronic issues.

So she's not super strict, but doing very well and likely doesn't need to be super strict.
Tincup
E3,E4
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

This is a great thread. Will reread Searcher's post on an -as needed- basis!
Pattyo
New User
New User

Post by Pattyo »

I am trying to adhere but its hard figuring it out.!!hoopefully, my new integrative doctor will be of some help. The protocol mis kind of overwhelming, but i am so grateful i found out about Dr. Bredesen last sept. Before that I thought there was nothing I could do . I’m 3/4 and 70 and my mother had it.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Welcome, Pattyo! I'm so glad you found Dr. Bredesen, and our site. And so glad you now have hope, knowing that there definitely are things that you can do to improve your health. The protocol can be a little daunting at first, but many people find that breaking it into small stages is helpful.

For instance, one of the first things you might want to consider is sleep. Are you sleeping well each night, or are there improvements you would like to make in that area?

When that's sorted, you might want to look at diet. Are you happy with the way you are eating right now, or would you like to make some changes in your daily nutrition?

A very important subject, that we tend to forget in the busy lifestyles we lead, is relaxation. Are you overall a 'relaxed' person, or would you like to explore ways to learn to relax more?

Focusing on just those three topics, and making improvements in each of them, would probably give you a good boost overall, and then you could explore additional areas to tweak.

At any rate, we're happy to walk with you on your journey now, and look forward to your participation on the site. Please post any questions that we could help you with. And again, welcome!
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
McGido
Contributor
Contributor

Post by McGido »

Searcher wrote:McGido,

The more clearly you see your "Why", the easier it becomes to manage the "How".

The other thing that really helps me with healthy living is visualizing what happens in my body when I eat a delicious piece of cake. Or stay sitting for too long. Or start living in fear of the future. Or drink a few shots of delicious Scotch or a few glasses of delicious wine.

It works with healthy practices too. Visualizing what happens in my brain when I eat oily fish Or do some vigorous exercise. Or play the piano. And so on.

I believe the main challenge for each of us is to create more joy in life. That comes from knowing what matters and doing what it takes.

You are blessed to be 31, because there's potentially a lot of joy waiting for you on the road ahead.
This resonates with me. All this change came about after my Dad passed in December after about a 5-6 years living with AD. I had always had intentions of making lifestyle changes but never followed through on anything. I also had known of my 4/4 status for a couple years and barely flinched. After my Dad's passing and then ultimately acknowledging my 4/4 allele, I took about 2-3 weeks to just look inward and traverse some dark valleys but it feels like I came out the other side changed. h

The visualization aspect seemed to just happen autonomously afterward. It's not so much that I'm resisting any sort of urge now but I actually am just turned off by certain things I used to really enjoy. I.E. Beer.. I was a connoisseur up until December 2017 and now the thought of drinking beer seems off putting. I'm proceeding with caution on this one because it's cold and rainy in the pacific northwest... the true test will be when the sun is shining.

And as for the "Why"... for the better part of 5 years I was sleep walking through life just going through the motions. It's not that I know exactly what I should be doing at every moment of the day, but I know I want to be present and engaged in whatever I'm doing. I've woken up for the better part of 2 months now with a keen sense of my own mortality. It's brought a sharpness and resislliince to my days.

There has just been a lot of change the past couple months, I'm enjoying it but I'm mindful of getting ahead of myself, or burning myself out where it becomes unsustainable.