Bredesen Protocol ...do I need a doctor?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Lmtipton
Contributor
Contributor

Bredesen Protocol ...do I need a doctor?

Post by Lmtipton »

I just read The End of Alzheimer's and want to follow the Bredesen protocol. I am a 45 year old female and 4/4. I'm currently asymptomatic. I'm trying to decide if I should sign up for the account with Dr. Bredesen and find a doctor trained in the Bredesen protocol. My big concern is how expensive this will be. Most of the tests I could purchase online and some could be done at my regular doctor and covered by insurance. I have to admit the protocol seems very involved and a bit intimidating to do on my own without a doctor. Does anyone have any experience or advice on which way I should go? I searched the site and found some info on this, but I still can't decide which route to go.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Bredesen Protocol ...do I need a doctor?

Post by Tincup »

As someone who is relatively young and asymptomatic, I'd do it on your own. You don't have to do everything or everything right away. I'd go to the Primer and start with the big things:

Lowering insulin resistance
Exercise
Sleep
Stress management
Eating a healthy diet with heaps of micronutrients.

These are the biggies, in my opinion. Once you are comfortable with this, you can add other things.

A local doc has a clinic & he's Bredesen trained. He had a presentation at an independent living facility, so we went, just to connect. Afterward we were talking to the nutritionist and the health coach. I was telling them many things and not getting info back. Commented about this with JulieG & she noted that this is common, we know more than the coaches. So hang around here and you will start to feel comfortable with all of this. You can do it. Many of us were in your shoes when we started.
Tincup
E3,E4
Lmtipton
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lmtipton »

I have started on all that you mentioned except the exercise...still working up to that. I will definitely read the primer. I'm leaning towards doing what I can on my own with the help of the forum. There is so much info here it is a bit overwhelming, but if I address one issue at a time I think it will be more manageable.
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

Step by step and one issue at a time is a great way to get going. I agree with Tincup that this community is a wealth of information so please don’t hesitate to ask questions as they come up. We’re all here to support each other.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
bikerman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bikerman »

I am 56 and just found out a month ago I was 4/4. I also read Bredesen's book, the info on this website, and I can echo a lot of what you say above. I have eliminated simple carbs and sugar from my diet and begun exercising daily in the morning. But I feel like I do want to do the Bredesen trained physician program because I feel like I need a full "cognoscopy", and also have no clue exactly which supplements to take and in what amounts. I think I am asymtomatic, but occasionally can't think of a word I just learned or person's name I just met....so feel I also want to do some cognitive testing just to be sure. It is expensive, but I think worth it in order to be thorough.

Has anyone else donet he Bredesen paid program?
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

I am doing most of the protocol (not actually in RECODE) via a Bredesen trained FMP. The nice thing is she allows me to pick and choose the things I think are needed, so I am doing a "hybrid" program with "holes" we determined likely need to be addressed. Because I had already been following most of the steps for the last 2 years, I didn't have to bother with coaching on diet and exercise etc., but she still through in a couple sessions with the RD (Dietitian/Training) to fine tune some things. I did do MOCA etc., MRI, and extensive blood work (43 viles!) which allowed us to narrow in on the gaps and refine my meds/supplements.

That being said, it still was not cheap. I got away with around $5K, which didn't include supplements or the blood/MRI work (this was covered by my insurance), but does cover most of the other testing. The supplements I have to calculate, but I think I am right around $250 a month, not including the detox program I am on (which is expensive... hoping re-test is good so I can cut back).

The other nice things is she allowed me to arrange payments (which I did), or they offered a credit option if you choose to apply (which I didn't). At some point I'll post more details in my thread (New RU442) when time permits.

In short, I can tell you that it has been worth it so far, found additional sources of inflammation I had no clue about! While it appears to be Lyme's (tests were negative but that's a crap shoot) , it could also be mold. Along with the supplement regimen, I definitely feel a difference right now. My advice is if you can afford it go for it, I had a bit of extra money going in so that was my trigger.
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Good question, Lmtipton! I wrote a post on this topic a while back. Sounds like you already have a good game plan.
Vic
New User
New User

Post by Vic »

My wife is doing the protocol with an official practitioner. Yes, it is very expensive and much of it is not covered by insurance. It is good to have a medical person order up the tests and help with the interpretation of the results. Our particular practitioner is very communicative and answers communications promptly.

As far as the health coach. No help at all. Not worth any amount of money. Better to read the book and ask this group for advise.

Diet should be pretty easy as there are numerous sites for keto based dieting. Ketone blood monitoring is helpful and meters/strips are not that expensive. The monitoring helps you know if what you are eating is doing the trick.

For molds, toxins, and tick borne diseases, you will probably need some professional help. If you know you have molds that you want to DIY, use enzyme base cleaners and protect yourself, mask, gloves, etc. We found the mold remediation for our home was one of the most reasonable costs and it accomplished some housekeeping chores that we had been putting off. Small bonus. :D

I am not in the protocol, but have been taking supplements for sometime as a cyclist. Many crossover into the protocol. The blood tests are helpful to see where optimization needs to take place and our practitioner was helpful in this regard. Some supplements are by prescription only.

But diet, general supplementation, exercise, and stress management are pretty much DIY. Hope this was helpful
Davida
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Davida »

Vic wrote:My wife is doing the protocol with an official practitioner. Yes, it is very expensive and much of it is not covered by insurance. It is good to have a medical person order up the tests and help with the interpretation of the results. Our particular practitioner is very communicative and answers communications promptly.
Hi Vic and welcome to the Apoe4 community. Thank you for posting and sharing your journey thus far. I find it so valuable and encouraging to hear other's stories. I was sorry to learn of your experience with the health coach though.

I commend you for being so proactive towards continuing good health and supporting your wife in such a positive way. I believe that support is essential in following certain protocols. She is a very fortunate woman.
It appears you have found and excellent medical team to assist you with the particulars and that you have had the resources necessary to carry them through. That is great. It also sounds like you have the desire and fortitude to put on the rubber gloves and mask to get the job done.
Keep up the good work!
You may have already reviewed this but Primer has a wealth of information on the Apoe4 gene and several lifestyle interventions furthering prevention. Also you can share more on the Our Stories thread, as well as learn more about other members too.

Thanks again for your input and I hope you continue to post. I think you will find this to be a very supportive and caring group.

My best to you and your wife.

Davida
Davida
FMCHC
Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches Certification 2018