Dental X-rays

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Nannies23
Contributor
Contributor

Dental X-rays

Post by Nannies23 »

I was wondering if getting too many dental x-rays can be harmful to those of us with the 4/4 Gene. It seems that every time I go they want to do x-rays, and I’m concerned that two or three X-rays a year may be concerning. TIA.
Kenny4/4
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Dental X-rays

Post by Kenny4/4 »

I am not an expert on any of this and what I am telling you is a regurgitation of information that is an educated guess.
1. The current dental X-Rays have a fraction of the radiation that they had years ago.
2. Radiation is bad as it relates to risk of cancer but it is dose dependent meaning a higher exposure makes your risk go up. The amount of risk from current dental X-rays is extremely low.
3. The risk of them not using the x ray and seeing something like an infection or a cancer seems far greater than the exposure risk as an infection or cavity can wreak it's own amyloid risks.

That's my opinion.
aphorist
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Dental X-rays

Post by aphorist »

Dental x-rays are one of the lowest radiation dose studies performed. A routine exam which includes 4 bitewings is about 0.005 mSv, which is less than one day of natural background radiation. It is also about the same amount of radiation exposure from a short airplane flight (~1-2 hrs).
http://www.xrayrisk.com/faq.php

0.005 mSv is so low, it's inconsequential. CT scans of the head and you are talking about like 2.0 mSv -- the amount of exposure you see in an entire year of background radiation.