Interpretive Question on Risk

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Interpretive Question on Risk

Post by Plumster »

"Risk [of Alzheimer's] is inversely proportional to the age of onset in a first-degree relative."
This quote comes from the Nutrition Guide for Clinicians under the Alzheimer's condition heading.

My question is linguistic and interpretive (risk><age) and I am embarrassed to say that I don't know how to read that line. Anyone want to help me?

My mother was diagnosed with AD at 65, what does that mean for me regarding risk, according to this site?
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Interpretive Question on Risk

Post by Fiver »

It means that if a first degree relative was diagnosed at a younger age the risk is usually higher than if they were diagnosed at an older age. Or.....as the age of onset goes up for one the risk goes down for the other.

They said it in a confusing way...
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

I see! Thank you.

Not great news for me . . .
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

or me.

But keep in mind that this is a statistical analysis, which may not apply to any one individual. It was a retrospective study, of course, from times when we knew less about risk reduction. In my moms case, she lived during a time when it was common to smoke, not get a lot of exercise, and eat a diet too rich in sugars and too low in fresh veggies.

And those genes from the other side of your family mix in, and probably help reduce risk.

So to me, the study says something I already had assumed. It's motivation. And not going to be my fate if I can help it.