podcast: Gastropod: Can Diet Stop Alzheimer’s?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

podcast: Gastropod: Can Diet Stop Alzheimer’s?

Post by BrianR »

https://gastropod.com/can-diet-stop-alzheimers/

This Gastropod podcast discusses Alzheimer's prevention, with some focus on food effects on the brain. (But also mentions inflammation, sleep, exercise, etc.) The expertise is from Lisa Mosconi and Richard Isaacson from the Weill Cornell Alzheimer's Prevention Clinic and Heather Snyder from the Alzheimer's Association. To the extent there is a specific food recommendation, it's for a Mediterranean type diet.

The discussion is pretty high level. You might find it useful for introducing friends and relatives to Alzheimer's prevention. (Perhaps noting that your Ketoflex, Plant Paradox or whatever diet is intended to achieve similar effects to the Mediterranean diet referenced.)

[And, of course, not all of their advertisers are necessarily optimal for Alzheimer's prevention.]
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: podcast: Gastropod: Can Diet Stop Alzheimer’s?

Post by Julie G »

Thanks, Brian. I look forward to a listen. I was an early fan of Lisa Mosconi; even got to have lunch with her and Stephan Cunane in NY, but have been largely disappointed with her diet recommendations. She has a good handle on the reduction in cerebral glucose utilization issues for our genotype (and everyone) but IMO, her fix is overly simplistic. The brain needs more glucose? Eat more carbs! Sigh...
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Julie G wrote:Thanks, Brian. I look forward to a listen. I was an early fan of Lisa Mosconi; even got to have lunch with her and Stephan Cunane in NY, but have been largely disappointed with her diet recommendations. She has a good handle on the reduction in cerebral glucose utilization issues for our genotype (and everyone) but IMO, her fix is overly simplistic. The brain needs more glucose? Eat more carbs! Sigh...
It will be interesting to see whether she has modified her carb recommendations in her new book.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Julie G wrote:Thanks, Brian. I look forward to a listen. I was an early fan of Lisa Mosconi; even got to have lunch with her and Stephan Cunane in NY, but have been largely disappointed with her diet recommendations. She has a good handle on the reduction in cerebral glucose utilization issues for our genotype (and everyone) but IMO, her fix is overly simplistic. The brain needs more glucose? Eat more carbs! Sigh...
Eat more carbs? For me, that would mean: Hello Type 2 Diabetes.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!