Question about sub/acute flare ups of latent infections

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Daymoo
Contributor
Contributor

Question about sub/acute flare ups of latent infections

Post by Daymoo »

Hi,

I have chronic latent infections and severe fatigue with mitochondrial dysfunction, etc. I am gearing up to see a local Bredeson doc, and I’m reading the book. So far, so good—but one of the case studies mentioned left me concerned. He said that one of his patients had to take a break from the protocol during a viral illness. I hope that getting some of the inflammation, etc., down will prevent these flare ups in me, but my immune system has been compromised for so long that, realistically, I will have a few. Why did the patient need to stop the program during a viral illness?

Any experience with this welcome...

Thanks!
Existence/is neither/a right nor//privilege/nor any//thing but
a/miracle. -Cid Corman
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Question about sub/acute flare ups of latent infections

Post by slacker »

Daymoo wrote:Hi,

I have chronic latent infections and severe fatigue with mitochondrial dysfunction, etc. I am gearing up to see a local Bredeson doc, and I’m reading the book. So far, so good—but one of the case studies mentioned left me concerned. He said that one of his patients had to take a break from the protocol during a viral illness. I hope that getting some of the inflammation, etc., down will prevent these flare ups in me, but my immune system has been compromised for so long that, realistically, I will have a few. Why did the patient need to stop the program during a viral illness?
Hi Day;
Can you note for the rest of us the page number of the case study? There may not be enough information in the description to understand why the protocol was stopped, but having the page number will help those of us interested in reading this case study to find it quickly.

Are you willing to share what kind of chronic latent infection you have? It it something that can be treated when it flares? This may be something your soon to be Bredesen doc can help you with.
Slacker
E4/E4
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

There is evidence that some infections that have repeated flare-ups can further weaken the BBB and result in more AB, so this is something that needs to be addressed.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Daymoo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Daymoo »

Can you note for the rest of us the page number of the case study? There may not be enough information in the description to understand why the protocol was stopped, but having the page number will help those of us interested in reading this case study to find it quickly.

Are you willing to share what kind of chronic latent infection you have? It it something that can be treated when it flares? This may be something your soon to be Bredesen doc can help you with.
Thanks, Slacker and Sonoma Mike. Unfortunately, I am listening to the audio and can’t find the page number, but I remember it was no more specific than that.

I have HHV6 and zoster infections that flare up, sometimes meningeally, so those can be mitigated, but I also have tonsillar and sinus and lung infections about 8 times a year, all of which usually start with a virus. I feel I’ve maxxed out on abx for those. I’ve been working with mold with minimal improvement. My guess is it’s coming from my gut, parasites or something, and that there is some trauma issues involved.

Can you think of any “viral Illness” that would interfere with the program? Is it possible that being acutely sick would alter test results (keto, hormones, etc) or diet in such a way that one would have to take a break from the program? Or would being too sick to get to the doctors office interfere? It seems to me that once you get going, you can coast pretty well, but maybe I’m mistaken.

Ah! Or maybe she had AD and the virus just made it too difficult to remember to take her supps... Hmmm... I will try to find that page number soon.
a/miracle. -Cid Corman
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

If it is a problem you may want to suppress HHV6 and zoster viral outbreaks, with antivirals (acyclovir/valacyclovir, for example), if necessary. Sometime infections can be managed by stress reduction or supplements (like lysine, which puts the balance of lysinse/arginine in your favor and not in the viruses favor). Of course, there are vaccines for shingles which may be appropriate. Re-occurring outbreaks, which go untreated for long periods of time, are risk factors for AD / dementia.

Some of the protocol's recommendations tend to shift the body towards a state where herpes viruses might be a bit more likely to activate. Dark chocolate might be a part of a lifestyle-plan but is often a no-no for those worried about herpes virus outbreaks (too much arginine). Broccoli sprouts can be healthy but have high levels of compounds that can, in some people, re-activate the herpes virus.

There are the things that you can work through with your doctor and some trial and error.

Antibotics for bacteria would be a different issue, of course.
Daymoo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Daymoo »

Thanks, Fiver.

I couldn’t find the page number, so I’m going to put the question another way: how flexible is the testing, eg. If I had to delay follow up blood testing for a month because of a respiratory infection, would I have to go off of the supplements?
a/miracle. -Cid Corman
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

As I understand it, there is not a commonly used blood test for herpes zoster (except in research labs). Chicken pox and shingles are usually easy to diagnose by symptoms. Besides blood tests would be positive for anyone having chicken pox or the vaccine - not very useful. Though I think biopsies can detect it. Might be different in different practices.

HHV-6 tests are out there, I understand, but not common.

I'm told to be skeptical of tests that compare M and G antibodies and claim to know if an infection/outbreak is recent or long-ago. But traditionally they have been interpreted in that way.

In either case it wouldn't matter when you have the tests, as far as I am aware.

Check this information with a good doctor. Sounds like you have a good functional medicine-type doctor. They will know much more than I do about this.

Sorry if I misunderstood your question. Sounds like you already know you have these viral infections - so I'm not sure if these tests will provide any more information.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Fiver wrote: Broccoli sprouts can be healthy but have high levels of compounds that can, in some people, re-activate the herpes virus
Hmmmm...would this also apply to sulforaphane/Prostophane? I just upped my daily dose from 30mg to 60mg, having decided to run a course of it for a few months. Then yesterday, I got a cold sore :-/
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Yep. Those are the ones. Micro-green sprouts have the highest levels by far.