mthfkr and comt

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
SarahB
Contributor
Contributor

mthfkr and comt

Post by SarahB »

In addition to APOE4, I'm homozygous for a COMT mutation, MTRR and PEMT and heterozygous for MTHFD1, MTHFR and MTR. My homocysteine was in the borderline group (13.6 umol/L). I've been tracking my vitamins on Chronometer, and I seem to usually get adequate B12 and folate. But some suggest B12 supplements for messed up folate metabolism. (I've read the primer.) In my situation, hydroxy-B12 is recommended for COMT and methyl-B12 for the MT* mutations. Anybody else ever have this quandary? Any opinions for or against supplements in this situation? Thanks in advance. Sarah
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: mthfkr and comt

Post by SusanJ »

SarahB wrote:Any opinions for or against supplements in this situation?
Have you tested your B12 or folate levels? How is your intake of B6 and choline?

High homocysteine does suggest something is off the rails, so read through the methylation wiki for some clues. There is also a link to Chris Masterjohn's quick guide to methylation, which is really good. And, with the high homocysteine, both MTHFD1 and PEMT suggest that you might need more choline or phosphatidylcholine, not just B12, to bring it down.

Everyone is different and you will need to do some sleuthing to see what applies to your situation. And there is nothing that says you can't take both B12 forms at the same time, unless one gives you side effects.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Love the "K". :lol: Most of us just think it...
tinamalone
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tinamalone »

It is important to note that you need to know exactly and specifically your COMT homozygous polymorphism. There are 2. COMT(Met/Met) and COMT(Val/Val). They are very different from each other. Night and day. Supplementation would depend on your specific type. Met/Met do not process dopamine and estrogen as well as others. Their brains are literally swimming in dopamine. In addition, their estrogen levels in the body stay higher. The good news is that Met/Met individuals are fast learners and generally have great memory. In addition, due to the elevated estrogen, their bones are safeguarded longer and better from osteoporosis. On the bad side, the elavated dopamine causes anxiety and can lead to schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Met/Met people are driven, energetic and sometimes "over the top". The elevated estrogen also increases Met/Met cancer risk. Opposite for Val/Val homozygous polymorphism. They tend to process the dopamine and estrogen too quickly. They can seem a bit "brain foggy" and sometimes have problems paying attention. On the plus side they are the laid back, easy going people we all love to be around. The lower levels of estrogen can cause bone health issues but also lowers their cancer risk. I am homozygous Met/Met. If you are Met/Met you run the risk of "overmethylation" by using the methylated forms of B vitamins. Over methylation causes anxiety and restlessness. I use Folinic Acid for folate supplementation and adenosylcobalamin for B12 supplementation. They have worked wonderfully for my MTHFR and Met/Met polymorphisms. I get them from Seeking Health. I recommend Dr. Ben Lynch's book, Dirty Genes, to help you understand MTHFR and COMT mutations.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

I am COMT++ (met, met) and heterozygous for MTHFR. My homocysteine was 10 the first time I checked and now it's 6.something. Sterling Hill Erdei at MTHFR Support had an article recently regarding COMT and how it helps lower your homocysteine quickly once you start supplementing and to be careful because it can go too low. I take all the B12s (except cyano), but mostly hydroxo. According to Ben Lynch, Hydroxocobalamin is good for oxidative stress, Methylcobalamin helps with anemia and homocysteine, whereas Adenocobalamin is good for mitochondria and nerves.
Last edited by Plumster on Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
SarahB
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SarahB »

Jeeps! I've got to be met/met. But how do I tell? I've only got nucleotides mentioned on my chart. Btw-i was taking metylfolate and Methyl B12 last week and noticed an anxiety spike. A web site mentioned anxiety as a result of folate supplements, so I stopped. Plus I get enough folate from my diet. Can't exactly recall the numbers but I'm mid range for folate and around 300 for B12.
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by BrianR »

SarahB wrote:Jeeps! I've got to be met/met. But how do I tell? I've only got nucleotides mentioned on my chart. Btw-i was taking metylfolate and Methyl B12 last week and noticed an anxiety spike. A web site mentioned anxiety as a result of folate supplements, so I stopped. Plus I get enough folate from my diet. Can't exactly recall the numbers but I'm mid range for folate and around 300 for B12.
Sarah, I think these COMT variations are for SNP rs4680 https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs4680 which, based on 23andme results, shows up in my Promethease report (search for COMT or rs4680).