colonoscopy prep using stevia

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Blissful1
Contributor
Contributor

colonoscopy prep using stevia

Post by Blissful1 »

I am 65 and going to have my first colonoscopy. I will be getting the 2 bottles of Miralax to mix with "gatorade." Since I don't want sugar and I don't want aspartame from the 'zero' gatorade I want to know have any of you just used stevia and some lemon juice or ? Thanks
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: colonoscopy prep using stevia

Post by NF52 »

Blissful1 wrote:I am 65 and going to have my first colonoscopy. I will be getting the 2 bottles of Miralax to mix with "gatorade." Since I don't want sugar and I don't want aspartame from the 'zero' gatorade I want to know have any of you just used stevia and some lemon juice or ? Thanks
Hi Blissful!

Glad to hear you are getting that first colonoscopy!! As yucky as the prep is, it is incredibly reassuring to know that any potentially troublesome polyps can be removed long before you have symptoms of real problems. As someone with a family history on both sides of colorectal cancer, I have learned to get over the embarrassment factor and appreciate that I have a different choice than my two grandfathers. And by the way, I have had polyps removed during the procedures and, on one occasion, later out-patient surgery to get rid of a large pre-cancerous polyp--a sign that waiting for symptoms is never a good idea for this type of cancer.

As for prep options, the key is to get some electrolytes into your system, so I have used Propel. Propel Vitamin Boost has a little cane sugar and stevia. You may want to call the GI doc's office and ask them what they recommend for people who don't want sugar or aspartame. Good luck! (And don't be afraid to let them know if you feel discomfort. Far better to "sleep" through the whole thing than to not want to go back again.)
4/4 and still an optimist!
Nords
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Nords »

Blissful1 wrote:I am 65 and going to have my first colonoscopy. I will be getting the 2 bottles of Miralax to mix with "gatorade." Since I don't want sugar and I don't want aspartame from the 'zero' gatorade I want to know have any of you just used stevia and some lemon juice or ? Thanks
Whatever flavoring you use, Blissful, just be aware that for the rest of your life it's going to remind you of a colonoscopy prep.

Maybe it makes sense to mix the Miralax with something that you don't particularly enjoy drinking in the first place.

I'd recommend that whatever you drink should also be caffeine-free, but we don't need to get into how I learned that.
Author of "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement". Royalties go to military charities.
Co-author (with my daughter): "Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation FI."
To contact me, please send a PM.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Nords wrote:...
I'd recommend that whatever you drink should also be caffeine-free, but we don't need to get into how I learned that.
Thanks for a "laugh out loud while drinking coffee" moment! Your dry humor is as valuable as your wise counsel.
4/4 and still an optimist!