Ketosis clarification question

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
frankiesfriend
Contributor
Contributor

Ketosis clarification question

Post by frankiesfriend »

A few months ago, I watched one of Dale Bredesen's Facebook videos in which he and Julie were describing features of The End of Alzheimer's Program (thanks, Julie...very helpful!). I remember that he said that one should try to be in ketosis during some part of the day. So my question is this: if one eats a whole-food-plant-based diet with low to moderate fat, and then fasts overnight for 16hrs and then exercises before breakfast, is this likely to induce mild ketosis for "some part of the day" sufficient for a desirable brain metabolic flexibility, enabling one to burn either glucose and ketones? It would appear so from looking at the diagram on page 72 of the book (The stages of ketosis), but that is where I am not sure I am understanding.

When I ate a low carb, high fat diet, my cholesterol mass and numbers were both too high. They are much better with a lower fat intake, so I prefer to continue eating lower fat, along with legumes and whole grains, and I am hoping that the other measures I am taking would help me achieve brain fuel flexibility. Any thoughts on this are welcomed.
E3/E4, My mother was diagnosed with AD at age 73, my age on my next birthday.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Ketosis clarification question

Post by TheresaB »

I think everyone is different and the only way to know if one is producing ketones is by testing. The low to moderate fat gives me pause. But then a person can produce ketones with a diet of rice and potatoes if they calorie restrict enough. We have a wiki on ketosis, that might help you understand better. https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Ketosis_an ... _and_ApoE4
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4