Gut microorganisms and the brain ...

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Gut microorganisms and the brain ...

Post by Welcomeaboard »

CT on rs6265, been working on the BDNF angle not knowing my status on that one, so I consider that a win with a save credited to the relief players exercise and DHA.

Teezer there are 2 strands of DNA and what happens is they are matched and 23andme reports on the opposite strand sometimes and that is why you get cc instead of gg or aa instead of tt, etc. at 23andme.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

I've been putting together info for a BDNF wiki page. Maybe another day or so depending on my schedule. Stay tuned...
asiagillett
Contributor
Contributor

Post by asiagillett »

Thank you! With all my exercising I better get a bonus somewhere or I'll be mad at someone when I get to the pearly gates! :lol:
Teezer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Teezer »

Another article about our gut buddies...

From Not Exactly Rocket Science
Your genome is the same right now as it was yesterday, last week, last year, or the day you were born. But your microbiomes—the combined genes of all the trillions of microbes that share your body—have shifted since the sun came up this morning. And they will change again before the next sunrise.

Christoph Thaiss from the Weizmann Institute of Science has discovered that the communities of microbes in out guts vary on a daily cycle. Some species rise to the fore during daylight hours and recede into the background at night, while others show the opposite pattern.

These cycles are a lot like our own body clocks, or circadian rhythms. Over a 24 hour period, the levels of many molecules in our body rise and fall in predictable fashion. These rhythms affect everything from our body temperature to our brain activity to how well we respond to medicine. But these clocks tick by themselves. You can reset them by exposing yourself to light at different times of day (which is what we do when we cross time zones and get jetlag), but they are still self-sustaining.
More at the link...
It's weird how I'm constantly surprised by the passage of time when it's literally the most predictable thing in the universe. -- xkcd
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Perlmutter blogs on BNDF & gut bugs, from 2/15/15: http://www.drperlmutter.com/gut-bacteria-bdnf/
Tincup
E3,E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Perfect timing, George. Hullo epigenetics :D Improving our gut biome is just another way we can exert control over our genes.
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.