Migraines with aura--help!!

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Migraines with aura--help!!

Post by KatieS »

Kathygrz wrote:I just wanted to add my experience with migraines with auras here and what eventually helped. I began getting them in my 30's and they went on for a few years. Then I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease so had to maintain a 100% gluten-free diet. That was the end of the migraines! I didn't even realize they were gone at first, but after a few months of no more migraines, I realized my gluten-free diet had been the cure. That was in 1997, so I've been free of migraines for a very long time now. :)
Upon reading your post, I just realized that since going gluten-free, I haven't experienced migraines with aura, but no headache in several years. Always learning from everyone here, so thanks Kathygrz.
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

Poor kid! My mother suffered from migraines and I did as well. Hormones can be such a trigger, for me, it was when the estrogen dropped. But I was able to figure out my other triggers too-- when combined they were the worst. For me it was something in red wine, aspartame, MSG, social stress; combined with the hormone drop. Perhaps you could keep a log in case there are any dietary triggers that are contributing; I believe they are different for everyone. Zomig did work for me if taken as soon as I felt the signs of it coming (I didn't have aura, but extreme fatigue)
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

Huh, maybe gluten was one factor too!
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

I've been getting migraines several days per week (with/without aura) since I was in my mid 20s. For literally decades I tried eliminating all the known food triggers off & on with little success, and so eventually just gave up and used prescription drugs as needed. I finally went seriously gluten free about 6 months ago (and yes, I'm embarrassed to admit it took me so long!) and can count the migraines since then on one hand. Life changing. I do have one of the celiac genes (but not the disease) which could be the link, who knows. In any case, going gluten free is something worth looking at for anyone who can't find a solution elsewhere.
tesslo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tesslo »

DITTO here, my first migraine was when I was going through menopause but then I also went gluten and grain free (except for organic popcorn occasionally) :mrgreen: I seem to be able to tolerate corn being I have a high degree of Native American blood

I sympathize though because they are very scary and uncomfortable
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

They are scary, tesslo, especially as we get older. How does one differentiate between a migraine with aura and, say, a TIA/stroke? So, definitely worth going gluten free to see if there is a connection. I was secretly hoping there wouldn't be one, but for me it was undeniable.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Lucy my lifelong migraines disappeared when I stopped eating bread. (but somehow the white local bread in Cuba was ok so I'm not sure if its the gluten or something else). If I cheat with more than just a little bread, I get a migraine about 6 hrs later.

A TIA and migraine are usually easy to differentiate but not always in the case of a non-visual aura or a prolonged aura. But the latter two are rare. Most migraines are the usual visual scintillations (sparkly jagged lines) and scotoma (blind bit) lasting around 20 mins.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
jolicoeur
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jolicoeur »

And some people get migraines with dairy or when the intake of magnesium is not enough ( greenmedinfo.com). The elimination diet helped a lot of persons and the intake of B12. . Migrelief (feverfew) is know from people with migraines.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
FMCA /Bredesen's ReCODE for coaches
AFMCP (IFM November 2017)