New Here just trying to figure this site out.

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Kynikos
New User
New User

New Here just trying to figure this site out.

Post by Kynikos »

I'm new to the site and just trying to figure it out and hoping it will be a valuable information resource for myself and patients I work with.

I've been working as a Healthcare Advocate, Case Manager, and Medical Writer for the last 20 years working with cancer and geriatric patients primarily and patients not responding to traditional therapies for their disorders. I have acquired some expertise in evidence-based Integrative medicine and work with the attending physicians of patients as an adjunct.

I didn't choose this as a career but got into it when my mother developed pancreatic cancer and I researched in Pubmed and medical journals a CAM using anthocyanin compounds to augment 8 weeks of radiation and chemotherapy and she went into long term remission. After that, physicians and nurse practioners I had worked with started asking me to council patients of theirs with similar diagnoses.

I'm not promoting myself because I am not accepting any new patients because I was hit with viral myocarditis in 2014 and given a 5 year prognosis because of the amount of damage to my heart. So far, using integrative regimens I have researched I have remained at stage 2 which is exactly the same as when I was diagnosed.

I found out about this site because a number of former patients I had helped began asking me for assistance with family members who had developed either early onset Dementia or Alzheimer's and came across Dr. Bredesen's research.

What I find fascinating about his ReCODE protocol is that it dovetails into other researchers work that I have been following for the last ten years now in cancer, heart disease, neurological conditions like MS, and Parkinson's disease,

So I hope this introduction hasn't been too long winded and I look forward to interacting with all of you.
GLS18
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New Here just trying to figure this site out.

Post by GLS18 »

Kynikos wrote:I'm new to the site and just trying to figure it out and hoping it will be a valuable information resource for myself and patients I work with.

I've been working as a Healthcare Advocate, Case Manager, and Medical Writer for the last 20 years working with cancer and geriatric patients primarily and patients not responding to traditional therapies for their disorders. I have acquired some expertise in evidence-based Integrative medicine and work with the attending physicians of patients as an adjunct.

I didn't choose this as a career but got into it when my mother developed pancreatic cancer and I researched in Pubmed and medical journals a CAM using anthocyanin compounds to augment 8 weeks of radiation and chemotherapy and she went into long term remission. After that, physicians and nurse practioners I had worked with started asking me to council patients of theirs with similar diagnoses.

I'm not promoting myself because I am not accepting any new patients because I was hit with viral myocarditis in 2014 and given a 5 year prognosis because of the amount of damage to my heart. So far, using integrative regimens I have researched I have remained at stage 2 which is exactly the same as when I was diagnosed.

I found out about this site because a number of former patients I had helped began asking me for assistance with family members who had developed either early onset Dementia or Alzheimer's and came across Dr. Bredesen's research.

What I find fascinating about his ReCODE protocol is that it dovetails into other researchers work that I have been following for the last ten years now in cancer, heart disease, neurological conditions like MS, and Parkinson's disease,

So I hope this introduction hasn't been too long winded and I look forward to interacting with all of you.

Hi Kynikos & A Very Warm Welcome To Our Community!

How wonderful that you have been able to support your health and that of your Mom’s through integrative approaches! Your dedication and commitment to your patients has now led you to Dr. Bredesen’s research and our community. It is exciting to think how your former patients with cognitive decline will benefit from your new-found knowledge.

There are many valuable resources on this site to empower and enlighten. Firstly, the experiences shared by members on our forums provide a first-hand account of their successes, struggles, joys and frustration in dealing with cognitive decline. The Primer, beautifully compiled by Stavia, a physician and fellow E4/E4, is a brilliant roadmap to gleaning all you can about the APOE gene. The How To Get The Most Out Of The ApoE4.Info Website is a step by step guide to navigating the site more effectively and accessing topics most relevant to you. There is a magnifying glass on the top right-hand side of the page that you can access to quickly search a topic.

We look forward to your continued insights, feedback and questions.

Wishing you and your Mom all the best! Again, a warm welcome:)
Gina
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Reversing Cognitive Decline For Coaches Certification Candidate, Fall 2018
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mahatma Gandhi
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

Greetings Kynikos and thank you for your very interesting post! I was especially interested in how you helped your mother get into long term remission. There are so many different options and so much to learn when it comes to cancer. Stabilizing your own health condition is also totally impressive. You are also to be commended for sharing your knowledge and supporting others along their path to wellness. We are happy to have you here and don't hesitate to let us know how we can support you going forward.
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
Kynikos
New User
New User

Post by Kynikos »

Thank you both for your welcome and information, it is very much appreciated.

In regards to my mother's pancreatic cancer remission, I found 17 different clinical human trials on Curcumin, resveratrol, and EGCG green tea extract on pancreatic cancer, most impressive were the ones on Curcumin. The Oncologist told me they were going to use 8 weeks of radiation and chemotherapy with Gemcitabine to shrink the tumor away from a cluster of veins and arteries as a prelude to a Whipple procedure. I checked for drug interactions between the chemo agent and found that those three compounds actually improved the efficacy of Gemcitabine. I got the dose protocols from NEJM and JAMA articles.

MD Anderson had developed the protocol that the Oncologists were using but said it only a 2% survival rate and in an email one of them said it was virtually useless. I felt I had to do something to at least give her an edge better than 2% but after the 8 weeks period they told us that the tumor was gone and there was noting to surgically remove. I was shocked at the response truthfully.

Then we were told that the tumor would probably come back with a vengeance, but four years later it hadn't and the Oncologist said when they discharged her as a patient that they didn't understand what I had done but it prolonged her life longer than anything they could have done surgically. These days I still recommend the use of those supplements when I know the Oncologist's care plan but I get them over to the University of Pennsylvania's Abramson Cancer Center to interview with Dr. June's Immunotherapy group as they are having excellent results with a protocol for pancreatic cancer and late stage ovarian cancer and are now in Phase II clinical trials. It is my greatest hope that we can move cancer care beyond the "Poison, Burn, and Cut" paradigm currently in use.

For my heart condition I use a variety of supplements but primarily 10,000 iu of vitamin D3 daily (under physicians direction) which was based on a study done at Leeds University with 167 heart failure patients where the mean increase in ejection fraction was 34% and CoQ10 and PQQ.

Additionally, I use a periodic and Intermittent fasting protocol developed by Dr. Valter Longo at USC Longevity Institute to trigger autophagy and mitophagy in cancer and MS patients to create new stem cells with a younger genotype and phenotype . His work focused on the immune system but to my knowledge no one has studied its effects on heart tissue to date but at an international conference held in 2017 by leading heart failure clinicians, there was consensus that heart failure is the result of mitochondrial dysfunction and new therapeutic regimens need to be developed with that as their primary focus.

Right about now you are probably thinking... Geeze all I wanted to know was what time it was and he tells me how to make a clock! Sorry... I can get long winded.