Adult son is 4/4

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
caat
Contributor
Contributor

Adult son is 4/4

Post by caat »

Hi, I’m a newbie at this forum. My son has his DNA tested and is 4/4 apoe4. Hmmmmm....I know what this means but what does it actually means for his brother and sister who won’t get tested? And what does this indicates for us, his parents. We donated him our DNA so does that indicates that we also have, ar least 1 APOE4 gene? My half sister died from early onset AD and there’s a lot of Diabetes, strokes and heart failure on my part of the family. I read that this gene will transfer glucose a lot faster to the brains with this gene than without APOE4. I’m on a LCHF diet myself because I feel better with it. Forgive me my English, it’s not my language from origin.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
MicheleCC
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Adult son is 4/4

Post by MicheleCC »

caat wrote:Hi, I’m a newbie at this forum. My son has his DNA tested and is 4/4 apoe4. Hmmmmm....I know what this means but what does it actually means for his brother and sister who won’t get tested? And what does this indicates for us, his parents. We donated him our DNA so does that indicates that we also have, ar least 1 APOE4 gene? My half sister died from early onset AD and there’s a lot of Diabetes, strokes and heart failure on my part of the family. I read that this gene will transfer glucose a lot faster to the brains with this gene than without APOE4. I’m on a LCHF diet myself because I feel better with it. Forgive me my English, it’s not my language from origin.
Welcome caat! Excellent questions! To start, know that our genes are largely influenced by our environment. This means learning how to care for one's unique needs, such as having the apoe4 genes, can go a long way toward creating a long, healthy life. As you've seen for yourself, being on a LCHF diet makes you feel better! Finding what works for each individual is the key. That said, if you haven't read PRIMER: An introduction to ApoE4, biochemistry, and possible prevention strategies, I encourage you to do so. It explains Apoe4 and can help clarify how genes are passed on from parents to children. In short, if you have a son who is apoe 4/4, then both you and your spouse carry at least one apoe4 gene. Whether you test for apoe4 or not, your family's health history is the first indicator that you and your kids may want to adjust your diets and lifestyles now. Knowing you carry at least one apoe4 gene, and your son has two, is reason enough for you, your spouse and kids, to take your health seriously and not leave it to fate.

How old are your children? My son carries one apoe4 gene and it's clear (to me) that his health is significantly impacted by it. He suffered a stroke at birth (which he's recovered from), but sugar and dairy are his kryptonite! They take him down in a big way. He's 13 years old now and teaching him how to feed himself and care for his own unique needs can be challenging. Teenagers sometimes have a rebellious streak and prefer to do what their friends do rather than their parents. Heck, teaching his 53 year old father how to take care of himself is a challenge! In my experience, children will live the way they learned to during their childhood. The earlier in life changes can be made, the more likely they are to be maintained. Please feel free to share more about you and your family's story on our "Our Stories" page. It's one of the ways we all get to know each other here on apoe4.info.

Lastly, since you're new to the site, you may find the "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info websitea useful tool for helping you navigate and find the information you're looking for.

I hope this is useful to you and I encourage you to keep asking questions and sharing your own experience with apoe4.

Warm regards,
MicheleCC
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Certified Nutrition Educator & Consultant
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition (NANP)
caat
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Adult son is 4/4

Post by caat »

Hiya! Thank you for your reply!! My oldest is 39 years old. I will read the primer and all other info you mentioned. Just found out about this forum today.