First post, Newbe

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Jimbostelle
New User
New User

First post, Newbe

Post by Jimbostelle »

Hello All, I am a 66 year old man who has a pretty bad memory particularly for names etc. My mother died from AD in 1988, she suffered with it for the large part of 10 years. I’ll spare the details of her situation for another post.
I have read everything I could find regarding Alzheimer’s for the last ten or twenty years, leading up to Dr Perlmutter, then Dr Bredesens book and now Amy Bergers book. Dr Bredesens book gave me confidence in that he seemed to backup his concepts with very straightforward medical explanations. I do think however that he is a bit extreme with all the things we have to change or adjust to in order to profit from his protocol. With Amy’s book, she seems to hone right in on the diabetes of the brain hypothesis in a way I can kind of understand and possibly adhere too. That is the most important element for me. I need to be able to eat according to the protocol, afford the protocol and lastly understand the intricacies of all this mess. So hello All! I will be asking a lot of questions. I beg you to be patient, I’m a bit dense at the best of times. JimB TIA for any feedback
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Re: First post, Newbe

Post by Lucy5 »

Hello Jim and welcome to the group!

First, let me say I am so sorry to hear about your mother. Many of us here know first hand and understand so well how heart wrenching it is to watch a loved one struggle with this disease.

As you've spent the last 10-20 years reading and digesting the available Alzheimer's literature, including Dr. Bredesen's book, it appears you've formed some views regarding what prevention strategies and protocols might work best for you. Ultimately, I believe we all have to decide what lifestyle changes may be most critical for us as individuals as well as what we can live with and adhere to over the long term. In my own case, I've found that during the past 6 years (when I first learned my E4 status), my protocols have slowly evolved based on many factors such as: lab results, ongoing research, how I'm feeling overall, and of course, what I'm able to live with day to day.

If you haven't already found it, please feel free to browse through our site Primer written by a member physician, Stavia. It's a wonderful resource that I refer back to frequently. We've also recently launched this guide: How to get the most out of the APOE4 website that we believe will help members navigate our site more easily.

Jim, please don't hesitate to ask questions of the group at any time as they come up! This is such a supportive community and we've ALL been where you are now. There is so much information to absorb and we all learn so much from each other. I'm looking forward to seeing you on the forums and hearing updates on how you're doing.
all the best...Lucy