MCI

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Cat111
Contributor
Contributor

MCI

Post by Cat111 »

I did not get my score fom my practitioner but I over heard her calling in a Neuroquaderandt MRI, stating that I have MCI....I'm sure at my next visit it will be discussed but I'm kind of freakingout! :(
Cat111
ApoE 4/4
Dearest
New User
New User

Re: MCI

Post by Dearest »

Probably she did that to justify ordering it. Must have a diagnostic code to get the test paid for by yr ins. or medicare. The neuroquant will look at the hippocampus to see if it is smaller than normal.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Cat111 wrote:I did not get my score fom my practitioner but I over heard her calling in a Neuroquaderandt MRI, stating that I have MCI....I'm sure at my next visit it will be discussed but I'm kind of freakingout! :(
I'm uncomfortable that your practitioner did not discuss this diagnosis with you before using it to support ordering a test. If you are going through insurance (or possibly even if you are not), this diagnosis is now part of your formal medical record. You should have had the choice of moving forward with this test with this diagnosis, deciding not to do the test, or paying out of pocket without a diagnosis.

I'm also not clear on why a Neuroquant would be ordered if you did not have some form of cognitive issues. You may have some insight into this.
Slacker
E4/E4
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Dearest wrote:Probably she did that to justify ordering it. Must have a diagnostic code to get the test paid for by yr ins. or medicare. The neuroquant will look at the hippocampus to see if it is smaller than normal.
Welcome Dearest,

What a lovely name! I hope that you find this forum a place where your obvious knowledge base can offer information and support to others, and where you can dive deeply into the collected experience and knowledge of other members. Since you just joined, here are some suggestions for starting points:
The PRIMER is written by Stavia, a physician member who is also ApoE 4/4, and is designed with an easy-to-use table of contents that allows users to browse by topic of interest.
For more in-depth discussion, the WIKI often has answers to questions posed by users.
For tips on how to quote users so that they see your post, how to "follow" a topic or thread, and how to search by topics and authors, the How-To-Guide can save a lot of time and frustration!
Finally, we welcome not only users, but their choice to share their experiences, insights and questions, by adding a new topic to Our Stories.

Feel free to post anywhere; like you, I just like to dive into a new pool!
4/4 and still an optimist!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Cat111- unless your physician actually did neuropsych testing, she can't DX you with MCI. I suspect that Dearest is correct and that she was using it to justify the Neuroquant. Regardless, don't let it freak you out. Not all MCI (even if true) progresses to AD. And, there are so many strategies you can apply to improve your cognition. Exercise alone is 2-3 times more powerful than any FDA approved AD medication. You got this! -xo