The sixteenth intervention to reverse mild Alzheimer's in the Bredesen Protocol is:
- Goal: Increase NGF
- Approach: H. erinaceus or ALCAR
NGF (Nerve growth factor) prevents or reduces neuronal degeneration in animal models of neurodegenerative diseases and these encouraging results in animals have led to several clinical trials in humans.
Acetyl-L-carnitine (ALCAR) 500mg per day.
- Nerve growth factor-inducing activity of Hericium erinaceus in 1321N1 human astrocytoma cells
- Improving effects of the mushroom Yamabushitake (Hericium erinaceus) on mild cognitive impairment: a double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial
- Acetyl-L-carnitine treatment increases nerve growth factor levels and choline acetyltransferase activity in the central nervous system of aged rats
- Improving and Retaining Memory Function Feb 15, 2015