Newly discovered 4/4

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Drgildy
New User
New User

Newly discovered 4/4

Post by Drgildy »

Hello everyone,
My grandmother died in her 80's of dementia, and my dad has very advanced AD at 80. I just found out through 23 and me that I am a 4/4 (and my wife is 3/4). When I found out, I was not surprised but was a bit deflated. I don’t want to go through what I have seen happen to my dad and grandma. I don’t want my wife and kids to have to watch me lose who I once was. After the initial period of being depressed I got mad and decided if there was anything to be done then I would fight.

I am 50 years old and thankfully have been following a ketogenic diet for the past 2 years now. I have lost over 30 pounds, and exercise regularly by lifting, walking, running, and hiking. Through this relatively recent renewed focus on fitness, I listen to a lot of podcasts and heard Dr. Bredesen on Rhonda Patrick’s. I bought The End of Alzheimer’s and that is how I found this site and forum. I am grateful to have found it and I thank you all for what you have built here. I am devouring the information and have always been a reader.

Am I symptomatic? Maybe...I do forget things and over the last 5 years I find I struggle to come up with the right words, whether speaking or writing. I initially attributed it to my doctorate work which I finished in 2016. I told myself that I was just becoming another quirky PhD that "squeezed out" much useful knowledge and replaced it with my nerdy specialty. ;) Now I'm not so sure.

One question I have is how to find a good clinician who will be open to the ReCode protocol and testing. I am new to the Phoenix, AZ area and so I don’t have a doctor. Can anyone offer some guidance? I’m sure that this question has been answered previously, so I apologize for retreading old ground.

Thank you all in advance.
Dave
Dave G
AKA
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Newly discovered 4/4

Post by AKA »

Drgildy wrote:
One question I have is how to find a good clinician who will be open to the ReCode protocol and testing. I am new to the Phoenix, AZ area and so I don’t have a doctor. Can anyone offer some guidance? I’m sure that this question has been answered previously, so I apologize for retreading old ground.

Thank you all in advance.
Dave
Hello Dave, Welcome to the apoe4 community!

Thank you for sharing your story. Your commitment to your wellness journey is commendable. Congratulations on all of the healthy changes you've made over the last two years and on your doctorate. :D Wow! Although I don't see a clinician listed in the Phoenix area, you may want to look over the ApoE4 aware practitioners in the Wiki section of this site and the Practioner Reviews in the forums. If you haven't checked Dr. Bredesen's site, Apollo Health, you might find some useful information there. You might also want to look into functional medicine practitioners in your area, they may be willing to support you in working through the protocol. I'm sure others will chime in here with more options/guidance, but this might help you get started.

I'd also like to point out a few helpful sections on the site, the primer is filled with great information and was written by one of our member physicians and the How-To section is a good resource.

Again, a very warm welcome to you, Dave!
Drgildy
New User
New User

Re: Newly discovered 4/4

Post by Drgildy »

Thank you much. I searched the Institute for Functional Medicine site today and found several practitioners within 30 miles that list "Advanced Clinical Training: Reversing Cognitive Decline" under their IFM Coursework. I am assuming that is Dr. Bredesen's protocol?
I will try calling or emailing several of them tomorrow.

Dave
Dave G